PLEASE HELP>>> Bearing too small? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: PLEASE HELP>>> Bearing too small?

GSXRolla
08-15-2003, 09:27 PM
I posted this a few days ago, but got no response. I'm removing my balance shafts. I got this engine used from some guy in michigan who had started the job, but hadn't finished it. I got a brand new inner bearing, and to my suprise, IT DOESN'T FIT! I tried a couple different bearings from my old engine, and they don't fit either! And I KNOW it's the right bearing. I tried the outter bearing (next the the front case), and it ALMOST fits. It goes it nicely, but isn't really tight. if i mess with it enough, I can still pull it out with a screwdriver. It's REALLY close, but not close enough. My question is, can I use something like a high temp sealant on it, wait until it cures, then move on? Or is there anything I can do in the meantime to block that hole with something else? I really don't want to completely disassemble the block, because I'm going to be afraid of crankwalk when i reassemble it.

By the way, there was no bearing in there when I got the engine, so i have nothing to compare the new factory one to. PLEASE help! i'm on a deadline here and could really use your help. Thanks in advance.

90GSXJURLS
08-16-2003, 11:11 AM
You may have them backwards, The innermost bearing is smaller than the outer so that you can install the balance shaft properly, This is how cam bearings are on V-8 engines. They get progressively smaller as you go further into the block.