20g question [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: 20g question

TurboG1
03-28-2001, 12:07 AM
I would like to buy a 20g turbo.

Does this mean I have to lose the stock radiator fans?

Anybody have a 20g with stock radiator fans?

If so what kit or setup do you have?

I looking into buying the super 20g kit by HRC, any comments about this kit?

Thank you in advance

Alex G
93 GSX
14b,RRE FMIC,DSS 2.5" UIP,BR 2.5" DP, 3" cat back ATR,660cc inj,MASC w/ 75mm MAF,MSD DIS 2,profec A

eagletalonawd
03-28-2001, 12:18 AM
With the super 20, I would think you would be able to keep your fans. I have a super 16, and I have no problems. No melted fans or anything. You do have to do a little trimming on the plastic behind the temp fan to make room for the wastegate actuator. They both use the same turbine housing. Not sure if there are any differences with the compressor housing for a 1g. Check with Hahn.

"The larger 10cm turbine housing featured in Super Turbos..." http://www.hrchahnracecraft.com/Super_Turbos/Turb_Hsg_Comp_2.jpg

[Edited by eagletalonawd on 03-28-2001 at 02:24 AM]

Mannai
03-28-2001, 02:28 AM
I wouldnt worry that much about the fans, but melting them is possible. I know a couple who have 20g's and melted there fans.

You can buy fans for cheap, maybe 90each and they flow more sound better and are thinner.

FAL just released fans also.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/fal/eclipse.htm

eagletalonawd
03-28-2001, 04:41 AM
The only instance I have heard of them melting is if you have an external wastegate. With an internal gate, it is not usual for them to melt. He is looking towards a Super 20g, which has an internal wastegate.

Moto'freak
03-28-2001, 09:06 AM
I just bought a Super 20g from HRC and if you have a fluidyne rad then you won't be able to use the stock rad fans :(

TurboG1
03-28-2001, 12:59 PM
Thank you everybody for your input.

Moto'freak can you post pictures of the completed installation?

Also, does the compressor outlet face down or to the stock lower intercooler hose location? HRC website shows a picture of the 2nd gen.

Thanks in advance,

Alex G
93 GSX

turbotuner
03-28-2001, 05:57 PM
I have a HRC super 20g. Ever since I did the swap during the fall I have had nothing but good experiences with the turbo. Mine has been spooling up around 3800 and holds it till way past redlines (Gst so spinning tires like there's no tommorow even in 2 and some of 3). I am taking out the A/C because this is a going to be a full show and race car so I only run a fan on the passenger side because the right side is for the A/C. I moved the driver side fan to the passenger side because the wastegate actuator didn't allow much room. For the 2g you have thin fan for the driver side, which I moved to the left side and still had to modify because the actuator was touching it. When I went to the tracks during the summer I saw Ecoli run with one fan on the passenger side so I decided to do the same. The engine temps are fine with one fan as long as you don't use the A/C.

Moto'freak
03-28-2001, 07:56 PM
I will post picks by this weekend , once I get someone to take pics of it .. I'm still in the middle of finsihing off my car :) Once everythign is done it should ROCK ... I have about 2 inches between the wastegate actuator so I don't have much room at all. I'm just thinking of putting a smal 9 inch fan in front of the rad to slove this problem.. I have a few pics & mods on my website (its a bit slow) @ http://motofreak.ath.cx

I can't wait till its all done and drive the beast !