Install alarm yourself? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Install alarm yourself?

Turbo'dTalon1G
10-29-2003, 09:20 PM
Has anyone hooked up an alarm themself? I want a paging system one off of ebay becuase im poor and need to save money and want to install it myself. That way no one will no what kind i have. Or should i just get raped and shell out the 300 for a paging one installed by a certifeid viper installer?

karnsatron
10-29-2003, 09:36 PM
Yeah i installed mine on my own. It burnt out after unlocking/ locking the doors about 6 times. I thought maybe I hooked up something wrong, so I took it to Bestbuy :rolleyes: and he looked at all the wiring I did and said it all looked good.(He even offered me a job!) I even verified the wiring from the12volt.com. Everything looked good so I bought another one from ebay and tried it again. Hooked everything up and it blew after locking/unlocking about 5 times again. So I've got 2 alarms with burnt out locking circuits and I don't know if there is something wrong with the car or not.

cbilmer
10-30-2003, 03:01 PM
I installed mine without too many problems... the only thing i found hard was finding which exact wires to tap etc. If you do it yourself you'll save alot of money. Do yourself a favor though and buy some wire taps and other things like that to save you alot of trouble... I found it to be a bit of a pain to cut and strip some of the wires because there is not much slack in the wires to play with.

If you've worked with electronics before you might as well do it yourself. Just make sure you make some decent connections and not half ass ones... soldering them is even better, but its not entirely needed. Use some marrettes (sp?) and some electrical tape for some of the heavier guage stuff such as your siren wiring.. I'm sure you'll do fine. Get a friend to give you a hand if needed.

There are a few lists up on the board somewhere in the electrical section that have the wiring colors and such for that kind of a job!

Good luck man...
Let me know if you have any questions.

1qwktalon
10-30-2003, 03:30 PM
where are you located cbilmer? I own an audio shop and I can probably hook you up if you are in the ohio area. I do alarms and remote starts all of the time so it doesn't seem that hard to me, but if you aren't familiar with 12volt electronics then it could be a little difficult. if you do decide to do it yourself, let me know and I will get you a printout of what wires you need and where they are located in the car.

1qwktalon
10-30-2003, 03:32 PM
sorry I just looked at your bio, you are no where near ohio. I can still get you the diagram if you need.

cbilmer
10-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 1qwktalon
sorry I just looked at your bio, you are no where near ohio. I can still get you the diagram if you need.

It was Turbo'dTalon1G who needed the help... I did get mine all installed though... although those diagrams and such might have been really helpful at the time! I had to find them all by myself. It works great too, just haven't gotten around to installing the ignition disabler part, easy to do but haven't bothered... i just really wanted the alarm and remote door opener thingie.

I'm pretty familar with electronics though... I graduated from the Computer Engineering Technology - Microcomputer (3 year) course in town here and have worked at a contract electronics manufacturing plant for the past 2 1/2 years. :) About 35% of the program i took was dedicated to electronics troubleshooting, design and theory, another 5-10 percent on making electronics work with computers and such.. and the rest was programming in many different environments.. internet, linux/unix, windows, and in alot of different languages!