when to change timing belt [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: when to change timing belt


joe_u
11-10-2003, 10:06 PM
my 2g gst has about 62K miles. after reading the owner's
manual, it mentions that it is recommended but not required
to change the timing belt at 60K miles, with the hard
requirement at 100K miles.

does anybody have any opnion about how safe it is to wait
until 100K miles to change the timing belt?

thanks,

joe
--

Zelite5
11-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Do it! I'd rather change a timing belt than rebuild a head.

What I'm saying is, better safe than sorry:)

turboawdtsi
11-10-2003, 10:49 PM
It's generally agreed upon to change it every 60,000 miles.

stevep
11-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Most people put it off because the of the cost. Two problems with that, one there is no warning that the belt is about to go, Two the cost of rebuilding the head or engine is far higher. Enough higher that it's not worth cutting any corners to save a few bucks when you get the job done.

Steve

chris gst
11-11-2003, 07:35 PM
I need to change mine soon, 72,000 miles, I hope nothing would happen, just waiting for my bonus check and i'll be good to go.

barney
11-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Well, I didn't know that Mitsu was now recommending 100,000 miles. That sounds kinda scary to me. Maybe they have improved the belts.

My experience is that going the full 60,000 miles is asking for trouble. I changed my timing belt for the first time at 52,000 miles and found the factory b belt had stretched to the point that I was amazed to find the balance shaft still aligned. If that belt had gone it probably would have taken out the t belt and hence the head. Also, I found the water pump had starting dribbling coolant from it's weep hole.

I'm glad I didn't try to wait until 60,000 miles.

stevep
11-11-2003, 08:53 PM
The factory b belts are weak little suckers. When I went to loosen the upper BS sprocket bolt it just shreaded.

The 100k is california consumer "protection" BS. I guess since the belts didn't always fail at 60k the state bitched about it being required vs. recommended.
Just consider it required and save your self some heartache.

I got 110k from the water pump and it was still leak free. I replaced it per the VFAQ since I doubted it had another 60k in it.

Steve

greenstreak
11-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Definately have it done at 60k or as close to as possible. Waiting for 100k is a recipe for disaster for sure.

NAT01
11-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Change it ASAP. A friend of mine had her's go at 80,XXX on a 420A. She has put about 4,500-5,000 into fixing it now. Once again, ASAP!!!

AWDPetmitsu
11-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by barney
Well, I didn't know that Mitsu was now recommending 100,000 miles. That sounds kinda scary to me. Maybe they have improved the belts.

My experience is that going the full 60,000 miles is asking for trouble. I changed my timing belt for the first time at 52,000 miles and found the factory b belt had stretched to the point that I was amazed to find the balance shaft still aligned. If that belt had gone it probably would have taken out the t belt and hence the head. Also, I found the water pump had starting dribbling coolant from it's weep hole.

I'm glad I didn't try to wait until 60,000 miles.

Your timing belt stretched? I thought they couldn't stretch. How much did it stretch?

GotDSM?
11-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Yeah dude I'd definetly change that shit, last thing you wanna be having to do is rebuilding your head. Like someone else said, your better off safe than sorry!

Van
11-13-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by stevep

The 100k is california consumer "protection" BS. I guess since the belts didn't always fail at 60k the state bitched about it being required vs. recommended.
Just consider it required and save yourself some heartache.


This is what happens when stupid liberals get their way. They have a hard time understanding that a car REQUIRES maintenance and those belts are WEAR items. They should be lined up and shot for this BS.

If you run your DSM hard and everyday like we all do, I'd suggest doing them every 45k miles. Especially if your balance shafts are still in. Use only OEM belts, pulleys and tensioner.

I had to argue my point home three days ago with a dumb extended warranty company phone jockey that I was saving him money later by adding the timing belts to the current bill while I replaced all the front seals (for oil leaks) in a 2G Talon at the shop. I was pissed at his stupidness for even arguing, but I got the belts and will always get them from now on. I know the deal... ;)

If you love your DSM spread the word. Live, Love and Bleed DSM.

barney
11-14-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by AWDPetmitsu


Your timing belt stretched? I thought they couldn't stretch. How much did it stretch?

It was the balance shaft belt that was loose and it was so loose that there wasn't any tension left at all. Of course, I wasn't there to see it put on, it was the belt it came with new. So, maybe it wasn't properly tensioned to begin with. Dunno.

As I recall, the timing belt wasn't all that tight either meaning the hydraulic tensioner had run out of travel. It still had enough tension left that at least that belt wasn't about to become an immediate disaster.

So, yeah, belts do stretch but they shouldn't stretch the amount the balance shaft belt did. That is why it is important to get the hydraulic tensioner rod protrusion set to the spec. in the service manual. That way maybe you can go 60,000 miles without the tensioner running out of travel. And, I like the balance shaft belt snug too even if it makes a little extra noise that way at first. All in all, I think going 60,000 between belt changes is putting you right against the limit and 100,000 miles is nuts.