Extreme blow-by....Turbo going out? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Extreme blow-by....Turbo going out?

16gHondaKilla
12-12-2003, 04:09 AM
Ok i got all of the diagnosis of a bad turbo and i know the rubber piece that was sucked in from my intake pipe did not help either.I know my turbo is going out(Which i am in the process of replacing)but now i am hoping its not other things,i have yet to do a compression test which i am going to do soon,here are some of the problems:

- Cars smokes(white)only when driving,not at idle or revs or when i start it.Big clouds between shifts.
- Had a small oil leak before this,now its really bad(Can't pinpoint the location).
- LOTS of blow-by!!!!!And it seems like its mixing coolant with oil,but when i check the dipstick it looks normal.
- Turbo has some shaft play,Car is NOT overheating or leaking coolant.Exhaust note has changed just a liiiiitle bit.Car has 104,000 miles on it.Mods are listed

I guess my main question is would a faulty turbo cause all of that blow by?And if so why?Thanks in advance!!

Matticus
12-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Sounds like a head gasket problem. Maybe only a small pinhole, maybe worse.
You say white smoke while driving, that would indicate coolant being burned. And it doesn't smoke at idle. Coolant is flowing the slowest, has the least pressure at idle. When driving, the coolant moves fast and has more pressure to escape through the head gasket.

You say there is an oil leak that is worse now, I would try and find it. It also could be coming trough the head gasket.

You also say lots of blow-by, I am not sure how you are diagnosing that. Oil blow-by through the rings or are you talking the turbo is blowing alot of oil. Oil blowing throught the rings will cause smoke, which would be almost blue/darker, not white in color. And again you speak of oil mixxing with the coolant. Could be a couple causes. One is the head gasket. The other could be from the oil filter housing that is coolant cooled. It will be oil mixxing with the coolant. Oil is under much higher pressure than coolant. And the 22 PSI cool could not force itself into 90 PSI oil.

How full of oil is your car? I helped a guy a little while ago that had like 7 quarts of oil in the car. The turbo just could not drain it that fast. Also, check the oil return line for ANYTHING blocking the passage. The retun line is gravity operated, and it needs good flow to drain the oil. If the turbo can't drain the oil the right way it will spit it out the compressor.

Ok, I think I am done now. That should get you started.

talonkid119
12-12-2003, 02:34 PM
white smoke = coolant entering into the combustin chamber.

If the turbo seal was bad it would be more blueish back. Do a compression test and see what cylinders it is leaking between.

mike

16gHondaKilla
12-12-2003, 04:14 PM
by blow by i mean lots of smoke coming out of the crankcase where my breather filter is.Thanks for those replys!

91TalonTSi
12-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Big clouds between shifts
Turbo seals. And sounds like the bearings are about gone.

talonkid119
12-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Assuming that your valve cover breather is vented. Check your IC or pipes to see if there is oil in them, if there is then you know your turbo seals are bad. The only way to find out is a compression test.

mike

talonkid119
12-13-2003, 04:11 PM
double post

16gHondaKilla
12-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Great thanks or those replies!I know my turbo is about to eat shit but the pressure from the valve cover had my thinking there was more to it.never the less i need to do a compression test,and yes the turbo does have some oil coming out of it(Intake pipe)I will do a compression test and let you know what i come up with,Thanks again!

91TalonTSi
12-15-2003, 11:19 AM
by blow by i mean lots of smoke coming out of the crankcase where my breather filter is.Thanks for those replys!
Damn, I suppose I comletely missed this post. :rolleyes:
Yes Extreme blow-by from the valve cover almost always points to the rings. Now some blow-by is normal. Get that compression test done.