what are signs of bad ball bearings?? (for 91 1g AWD) [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: what are signs of bad ball bearings?? (for 91 1g AWD)

DSMing91
04-04-2001, 09:19 AM
i've noticed lately when i apply the brakes going slow (either making a left or right turn) that i get a grinding like noise coming from the front left wheel. almost sounds like when your brakes are totally shot and the worned out pads grind with your rotors. the pads are new and so are the rotors, so i know its not my brakes going. only happens in the left wheel as i'm slowing down (like almost stopped) applying the brakes.
another thing i notice, right on the middle of the rim theres a cap (cap that comes with after market rims) with like fluid coming out from behind?? i'm getting the impression that my ball bearings are going???

any ideas guys??

thanks

Jeremy-92tsi
04-04-2001, 11:05 AM
Ball Bearings????

I think your might mean wheel bearings. It could be your wheel bearings but they usually make a roaring sound when they go bad like a really loud wheering sound. I personally have never seen actual fluid come out but that is just me. The ones I saw may have already leaked to the point that they were no longer leaking fluid.

Just my .02 Hopefully someone can give you a definite answer.

Jeremy

DSMing91
04-04-2001, 01:22 PM
ball bearings, wheel bearing which ever its called:).

nahh they don't make a roaring sound like you mentioned. you have to listen in reall closely and you can almost feel the car vibrate alittle also. it gives off like a worned out brake pad sound against the rotors (metal to metal). only when i'm going really slow about to stop.

thanks

[Edited by DSMing91 on 04-04-2001 at 03:24 PM]

ieatv8s
04-04-2001, 02:00 PM
Sounds like a bad muffler bearing.J/k

ecoli
04-04-2001, 02:41 PM
Beat me to it. I was going to offer to sell him some muffler bearings and blinker fluid.

DSMing91
04-04-2001, 04:23 PM
lol..

but seriously, anyone know??

Mikel291
04-05-2001, 05:39 AM
Here's a way to tell if your bearings are going bad....First of all, jack your tire off the ground so there is plenty of clearance under it(enough to reach a hand under at least), then grab top dead center of the tire and bottom dead center. Push in and out on the tire at those two positions. If it moves quite a bit back and forth, your bearings are shot and you need new ones. Hope this helps.

AWDScreamenEagle
04-05-2001, 06:29 AM
Whoa, I was going to ask about the same thing. Got the roaring noise. Going to try wiggling the wheel. Thanks guys!!

DSMing91
04-05-2001, 09:32 AM
thanks. i should of thought about that myself, common sense i guess lol. i'll post back to let you guys know if that helped out.

iNEEDspeed
04-15-2002, 09:21 PM
post what you find out. I have the same thing on mine. I've checked for play in the wheels and didn't feel anything but you are describing exactly what I have.

barney
04-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Sounds like some brake noise to me, maybe vibration of the pads. My car will do this at the first stop after being parked outside all night. Also, I've noticed that changes in humidity will cause this on some cars.