Thermostat, should i buy OEM or is an auto parts store one fine? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Thermostat, should i buy OEM or is an auto parts store one fine?

16g-95GSX
01-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Just curious, as they asked 27 bucks WITH A DISCOUNT applied for the stock OEM thermostat at the mitsu dealer. Just curious if the non-OEM ones at the auto parts stores are fine to use. I always like to use OEM parts but I know that the autoparts ones are about 1/10th that cost.

GSXternalDamage
01-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 16g-95GSX
Just curious, as they asked 27 bucks WITH A DISCOUNT applied for the stock OEM thermostat at the mitsu dealer. Just curious if the non-OEM ones at the auto parts stores are fine to use. I always like to use OEM parts but I know that the autoparts ones are about 1/10th that cost.

Use an autoparts store one. If it fails for some odd reason, dig in the couch for another $1.25 to replace it again.

2G4G63
01-03-2004, 08:26 PM
OEM ones have a bigger hole (so I've heard)

verserv
01-03-2004, 08:45 PM
BUY OEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cheapies suck

You can almost gaurantee your car will run hot.

I had a cheapy in my winter car when i bought it, and it was a newer one(found the recipt). the car always ran hot.

P.S. - its $27, why even question it:confused:

Boostin'X'
01-03-2004, 10:29 PM
I had the best one napa could get me, which was like $11 and some change. This one wont fail closed. OEM can fail open or closed. My OEM failed closed and the pressure blew a freezeplug out of my block.

16g-95GSX
01-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Yea thats what I'm saying. I didnt have to pay for the 2 dollar one if there seemed to be one that was a better quality, I expect to get the best one out there, just if they all perform the same I dont see the point in paying over 12x the cost when I already have other expenses. I just want to see what you guys think, so keep the comments coming.

tarantula
01-04-2004, 01:20 AM
I have the cheapy ones. I have tried a 170 and it always ran at 199 high and 192 low. I am running the stock temperature of 180 and it always run 195 low and 213 high and occasionally gets stuck and keeps the car at 213 even when the fan stays on for a long ass time. It just stays at 213. Then I shut the car off. wait 2 minutes turn on the car and pocketlogger jumps from 213 down to 189. If I rev the engine when its stuck at a temp while the fan stays on, it'll do the same thing, jump down alot of degrees. I'm trying the Mitsubishi one. Its $25 at Mach V. Already ordered it. And it is true. The stock one has a larger hole for fluid flow as compared to the cheepys. I change mine almost every year so I don't really worry about it failing on me.:cool:

anconover
01-04-2004, 01:35 AM
dude hell with a OEM thermostat, thats goin too far and im an OEM junkie. id never even think about spendin 30$ on a thermostat! :eek: Ive used napa and autozone thermostats as well as all my friends with NO problems. In summer or hotter months i use a 180, in cooler temps id use a OEM temp. Spend 2$ instead of 30$ =)

diambo4life
01-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by anconover
dude hell with a OEM thermostat, thats goin too far and im an OEM junkie. id never even think about spendin 30$ on a thermostat! :eek: Ive used napa and autozone thermostats as well as all my friends with NO problems. In summer or hotter months i use a 180, in cooler temps id use a OEM temp. Spend 2$ instead of 30$ =)

What he's saying.:scholar: $2.50 for mine (180 degrees) and my temperature stays right there +/- 10 degrees. When I'm cruising it actually drops to ~170. I've never had a problem kwith my cheapo thermostats, it has always been something else.:dunno: Paying $30 for an OEM one imho is just silly.:P

outbost
01-04-2004, 03:22 AM
OEM ones have a bigger hole (so I've heard)
So do the peoples ass after they pay that much for them.

I got one from Autozone and I cruse at 180deg in the Mojave dessert in the summer.

talontsiawd
01-04-2004, 11:26 PM
I've had to change out my thermostat about 4 times since i've owned my car. I have used oem twice and aftermarket twice. My car had the exact same coolant temps with everyone. None of them have actually failed but i replaced them when my car overheated from a coolant leak, waterpump failed, burt an exhaust valve, etc. I just try to be on the safe side when my motor has been too hot. I didn't find any difference. I go with oem parts when i can afford them and aftermarket when i can't. I notice sometimes when i buy aftermarket stuff, clutch master and slave cylinder for example, they had the same numbers engraved on them from the same brand.

colonelfox
01-05-2004, 04:04 PM
I've always used pep boys special thermostats with no problem. Why the hell would you spend $30?

verserv
01-05-2004, 04:11 PM
You guys do realize that for this case, we are arguing over a very minimal amount of money.

We can guarantee that the OEM one works fine every time.

The parts store one's are getting some positive and negative feedback.

So why not just go for whats gaurantees to work for only $30?

tarantula
01-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Its no big deal to me to spend the $30 bucks on an oem. The saying You get what you pay for works the same in this situation. I'm paying $30 bucks for a thermostat. I'm getting OEM quality just like Timing belts and Waterpumps and Tensioners should be OEM rather than aftermarket.

eyebrowski
01-05-2004, 11:50 PM
go to autozone, they are $2.50 with a life time warranty! so what if it fucks up...

anconover
01-06-2004, 02:16 AM
why spend 28$ more? and so we KNOW for a fact every single oem thermostat will work and will not fail? no one does, autozone thermostat's may not be OEM, but it does the SAME thing, and theyve ALWAYS worked for me any MANY others. Save ur 28$ for a full tank of gas. i also felt u get what u pay for, this isnt 1 of those times tho. In many cases theyre are products that are stronger/better than OEM, ppl see them being cheaper and think get what you pay for, not always true, the mark up price on dealer parts is RIDICULOUS, but i agree on OEM t-belts, tensioners etc. If ur worried get a beck/arnley fail safe thermostat from autozone, 19$. Trust me, save ur money.

16g-95GSX
01-06-2004, 05:48 PM
I went with OEM mitsu just to be safe. Cost me 19 bucks wth my friends discount. Temps went from 227-230 down to 196-200 without using any AC fan, so I'm damn happy as that was obviously the problem. Autozone had one at 9.99 and another at 18 bucks, and only the 18 dollar one was in stock. I figured for 1 dollar I knew the quality of the OEM one over their one, and just felt a more sound mind.

rRed92Tsi
01-06-2004, 06:38 PM
So OEM t-stat can fail closed? Can smb. with reliable info tell me that? If so, I wanna yank mine out tomorrow. It IS dangerous.

95tsiawdgst
01-22-2004, 09:56 AM
submit my vote for oem.

I just changed a cheap stant after 5 months on a non-dsm. I was running it looking for another problem when I saw coolant start to build up at the edge of the hoses and even a little past the plastic endtank. It doesn't matter if they will replace the cheap pos if you have to buy a new rad and possible engine after it fails. If you time is money then $30 isn't nothing, I lost more than $50 just to come home w/o ot to fix it.

I bought a "superstant" this time for $7 and would have got an oem if I knew of a place like conicelli for parts because I wasn't driving to the dealer. Any tstat can go bad but the oem lasted nearly 75k and thats what my dsm will get when its time.
If you have to buy crap I would pay the little bit more for the better one, the super was obviously better quality.

herblove
01-22-2004, 10:44 AM
I heard that it is good to buy a lower temp thermostat than the OEM one. Is this true. Will the lower temp cause any problems

16g-95GSX
01-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by rRed92Tsi
So OEM t-stat can fail closed? Can smb. with reliable info tell me that? If so, I wanna yank mine out tomorrow. It IS dangerous.

Yep, very much so, I'm a testament to that :). Looking back, Id think it would be easy to determine if your Tstat failed closed, the hoses would become more pressurized, the temps would skyrocket, etc. Then again having it fail open like on the failsafe models it would just take forever for the car to warm up, so it'd be easy to diagnose then too.

AXiS
01-22-2004, 02:19 PM
I got an OEM one from conicelli, I think it was much cheaper than 27 dollars, but I can't remember. I thought it was more along the lines of 15 dollars. Actually, I just checked on their site.. for the OEM 6 bolt one it's 15.80. The 7 bolt turbo is like 30 bucks. I wonder why the huge difference in price? I guess that's just one more reason to switch to the 6 bolt!