Turbo Timers [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Turbo Timers

dsmlovergirl
01-26-2004, 12:58 AM
What is your guys' opinion on this- Is there HONESTLY one thats better than the others? Some people make a huge fuss of them.

side note- it still pisses me right the fuck off to hear "DID YOU KNOW YOUR CAR IS STILL RUNNING?" especially from these self-proclaimed "car gods". [/rant]

Black97TSIAWD
01-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by dsmlovergirl
What is your guys' opinion on this- Is there HONESTLY one thats better than the others? Some people make a huge fuss of them.

side note- it still pisses me right the fuck off to hear "DID YOU KNOW YOUR CAR IS STILL RUNNING?" especially from these self-proclaimed "car gods". [/rant]

I don't believe the brand matters, but to some the price does.

dsmlovergirl
01-26-2004, 01:25 AM
this is where my issue is. why pay so much more for the same thing? unless its got a feature where it can brush your teeth and spray your ass with perfume, why pay twice as much? :confused:

broadypunk
01-26-2004, 03:33 AM
i have this old hks TT, and it counts down my car just like any other turbo timer would, but....it looks like crap. That would be the only reason that i would buy a new one. Or, i could just extend the harness and hide it somewhere.

James92TSi
01-26-2004, 05:34 AM
Obviously all TTs have the same basic functionality: time the car down. So if that's the only thing you want from your TT (some people like all the extra crap I guess) then all you need is a basic whatever-brand TT.

Some people just have to have the extra "features" or make all their brand names match. None of that matters to me, but I'd guess that would be why someone would want a particular TT instead of whatever's cheapest at the moment.

dsmlovergirl
01-26-2004, 06:21 AM
make all of their brand names match... sounds a little obsessive compulsive to me.

you guys are just reaffirming my curiosity. why the hell does the brand matter as long as it does what its supposed to? ive never understood why some people are so picky about them. :rolleyes:

karnsatron
01-26-2004, 06:25 AM
I like my Apexi TT. It was the cheapest when I bought it and it helped tell me when my alternator was going out because of the voltage readout. I'm not sure if the other ones do that but I plan on getting one for my gst if the price stays the lowest.

dsmlovergirl
01-26-2004, 06:26 AM
how much did you pay for yours?

karnsatron
01-26-2004, 06:35 AM
I paid $110 about a year ago. I think you can get them for about $85 now.

karnsatron
01-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Just did a little searching. I found one at overboost.com for $86. Not trying to plug them just letting you know.

edit *A harness for it might run you about $10.

dsmlovergirl
01-26-2004, 06:52 AM
i paid $90 for my GReddy and that included the harness. :cool:

karnsatron
01-26-2004, 06:59 AM
I've also seen a couple threads here lately talking about greddy electronics acting screwy. Not saying they are bad but I haven't heard of any problems with Apexi. JMHO

dsmlovergirl
01-26-2004, 07:03 AM
really? hmm. not good. :confused:
So far Ive had no problems with mine.. i hope it stays that way.

Corpsegrinder
01-26-2004, 09:54 AM
Obviously all TTs have the same basic functionality: time the car down. So if that's the only thing you want from your TT (some people like all the extra crap I guess) then all you need is a basic whatever-brand TT. I agree with you totally, I have a HKS that cost me $40something, I only need it to time the car down all the extra features they charge you for isn't needed IMHO.

dsmlovergirl
01-27-2004, 06:43 AM
another question are most of yours set to auto count down? mine is.

talontsiawd
01-27-2004, 08:24 PM
My turbotimer (that i accidently broke) had a built in boost gauge. I paid $40 more than i would for a regular one and had one less guage. I got sick of converting kg/cm3 to psi so i bought a boost guage. The most import thing for a turbotimer for me would be looks (none had a blue display or anthing when i bought mine) and features. No turbo timer will be superior in function, except some only have minute intervals, but some have some extras which you may or may not find useful.

dsmlovergirl
01-29-2004, 01:17 PM
MINE has a blue display nanny nanny boo boo :P

Darksyne
01-30-2004, 07:09 AM
really? hmm. not good. :confused:
So far Ive had no problems with mine.. i hope it stays that way.

I'm one that's had problems. It works great just DO NOT let your battery die w/ the Timer plugged in.

Here's the thread: http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112417

Other than that problem which I was able to fix I liked it.
(Except for navigating the menu's, hold down this, press that for 2 seconds, press it once more... I felt like I was back in middle school trying to enter Contra codes :D )

dsmlovergirl
01-30-2004, 03:07 PM
good info thanks. now im going to be paranoid, but hey :D

91eclipsegsx16boy
01-31-2004, 01:55 AM
I'm stil trying to preach to the internet that TT's are worthless, with use of synthetic oil that will not coke.

dre99gsx aka Andre aka 500whp on pump gas used to tell stories about shutting down his FP Green after WOT runs all the time and it never failed.

Turbo Timer is one of those bling mods that people try to justify, kinda like carbon fiber hoods are for weight reduction.

I believe that excessive engine idling will hurt your engine more then this "timing-down" will extend turbo life.

For a few months I had an ancient HKS that I bought with harness for $50 used. It had 3 buttons set up for 30 sec, 1 min, and 3 min, or something like that. It worked flawless and was incredibly simple - no bling LCD display or anything.

Just go with whichever one you like the looks of the best IMO.

-aaron *puttin on flame jacket*

Black97TSIAWD
01-31-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by 91eclipsegsx16boy
I'm stil trying to preach to the internet that TT's are worthless, with use of synthetic oil that will not coke.

dre99gsx aka Andre aka 500whp on pump gas used to tell stories about shutting down his FP Green after WOT runs all the time and it never failed.

Turbo Timer is one of those bling mods that people try to justify, kinda like carbon fiber hoods are for weight reduction.

I believe that excessive engine idling will hurt your engine more then this "timing-down" will extend turbo life.

For a few months I had an ancient HKS that I bought with harness for $50 used. It had 3 buttons set up for 30 sec, 1 min, and 3 min, or something like that. It worked flawless and was incredibly simple - no bling LCD display or anything.

Just go with whichever one you like the looks of the best IMO.

-aaron *puttin on flame jacket*

You really don't need a turbo timer, it is more of a convience thing. I have a TTA and usually we just let it idle for 30 seconds after a run, and then let the fans blow a little longer. I think I have the tt not only because it was already on the car but so that I can "set it and forget it". Usually at the track though I put a floor fan on the motor/turbo and spray water on the ic. Anyways, you can definately just let your car cool rather than buying a tt. I'd like to know why you think idling the motor, for say 1 minute like a tt does, will hurt the engine, I've never heard anyone say this before?

dsmlovergirl
01-31-2004, 05:23 AM
No a TT is not necessary at ALL and unless the price is worth the convenience, Id say dont bother and just chill in your car and wait for it to cool down. Ive noticed its come in handy for me quite a few times when in a major hurry. I DONT think its bling bling however. Ive never seen/heard someone brag about their TT. But for me the 90 bucks was worth a little piece of mind and a couple extra minutes.. if that

Infinity
01-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Waste of money. Absolutely big waste of money.
For 100 bucks, I'd go buy some more race gas.

Black97TSIAWD
01-31-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Infinity
Waste of money. Absolutely big waste of money.
For 100 bucks, I'd go buy some more race gas.

And if you use Alcohol you don't have to waste your money on race gas, lol. It is more of a convience thing I believe, and if it didn't come on my car I don't think I would have bought one since I just idle down the car at the track and have fans, water and the whole 9 yards. But hey if you have an extra however much it costs then I say get it, it's not like it can hurt the car.

James92TSi
01-31-2004, 03:12 PM
For me, it was worth the 50 bucks (used greddy TT) in order to not be chained to my car while it cools down after I arrive somewhere. It gets to be a pain in the ass if you're with a group of people and have to hold everyone up so you can babysit your car for a minute.

Black97TSIAWD
01-31-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by James92TSi
For me, it was worth the 50 bucks (used greddy TT) in order to not be chained to my car while it cools down after I arrive somewhere. It gets to be a pain in the ass if you're with a group of people and have to hold everyone up so you can babysit your car for a minute.

I only charge 5 bucks a night to babysit. I agree it is a major convience to have.

91eclipsegsx16boy
01-31-2004, 05:37 PM
It's only a convienence mod if you believe that cooling down is going to extend your turbo's life.

I really don't see how it's going to extend life.

If you use synthetic oil it will not coke, and your bearings will be fine.

Excessive idling can build moisture in the crankcase and also idleling doesn't create the greatest oil pressures.

I know PLENTY of ABUSED 14b cars that got over 100k out of their 14b's with no cool-down.

Who are you people that are redlinging each gear before you get to work anyways, honestly. Just drive normal for 15 seconds with the fans on before you shut down as this will cool the car 10x better then idling (idle = lower oil pressure and no airflow across radiator/engine bay).

People have to shut down after WOT runs on the dyno all the time. That shit gets RED HOT!

Don't believe all the hype that the vendors try to make out of marketing TT's. They are so not necessary or worth any amount of money.

Nice to see you on XceedSpeed too Black97TSIAWD ;)
-aaron

Black97TSIAWD
01-31-2004, 07:10 PM
It's only a convienence mod if you believe that cooling down is going to extend your turbo's life.

I really don't see how it's going to extend life.

If you use synthetic oil it will not coke, and your bearings will be fine.

Excessive idling can build moisture in the crankcase and also idleling doesn't create the greatest oil pressures.

I know PLENTY of ABUSED 14b cars that got over 100k out of their 14b's with no cool-down.

Who are you people that are redlinging each gear before you get to work anyways, honestly. Just drive normal for 15 seconds with the fans on before you shut down as this will cool the car 10x better then idling (idle = lower oil pressure and no airflow across radiator/engine bay).

People have to shut down after WOT runs on the dyno all the time. That shit gets RED HOT!

Don't believe all the hype that the vendors try to make out of marketing TT's. They are so not necessary or worth any amount of money.

Nice to see you on XceedSpeed too Black97TSIAWD ;)
-aaron

I might not be from Michigan, but I'm close enough, lol. Anyways, I agree on the driving normally to work, I hardly ever get more than 10psi on my way and very often do not need the timer though I let it run. However, I do think you are mistaken about your point when you consider racing. After running a 1/4 mile you should not just shut the car off without leaving the car idle/fans on for at least a 1/2 minute. The oil can and will cool to the sides of the turbo. I however have heard nothing about as said by you and another of idling causing problems? I expect that a car idles much more than the 30 seconds the turbo timer creates. Stopping at signs/lights, traffic and a whole list of other times the car is sitting. I use synthetic oil on my Talon and TTA but many from both car communities preach the importance of idling after a hard run, not neccessarily driving to work everyday though.

91eclipsegsx16boy
01-31-2004, 07:45 PM
Ya you idle a lot in stop-and-go, which contributes to why stop-and-go motors don't last as long.

I guess I never thought about after a 1/4 run, but it's not like you're walking away from your car and need an electronic device to keep the car running.

I just believe that cooling down isn't necessary with synthetic oil. Think about how hot turbo-race cars get and for how long. How is cooling things down faster going to make any difference then if it was hot for an extra 30 seconds. I could understand if you were talking about hot oil that was going to coke and clog bearings and oil lines, but I have yet to hear of this happening to someone I know.

:dunno:

I think I'd just need proof of turbo failure due to improper cool-down before I thought they were necessary for those going WOT into a parking spot.

Some people want to protect their $1000 turbo investments, and I can understand that, but I'd personally rather spend $100 elsewhere.

-aaron

talontsiawd
01-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Since my turbo timer broke, i just shut my car off when my egt's are at 1000. I find that most of the time around town, my egt's drop to 1000 by the time i find a parking space. After a hard run though it may take up to a few minutes for them to drop that low.

Black97TSIAWD
01-31-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by talontsiawd
Since my turbo timer broke, i just shut my car off when my egt's are at 1000. I find that most of the time around town, my egt's drop to 1000 by the time i find a parking space. After a hard run though it may take up to a few minutes for them to drop that low.

Ahh good thing you brought this up. On the diesel truck boards they recomend shutting the truck down only after egt's are at about 3. Maybe there should be a similar temp that dsm's should shut off at?

Give me a while and I can dig up countless pictures of turbos that have been destroyed from shutting down without a cool down at the track. I'm not talking simply driving to work or a parking space, I mean a 1/4 run and just turning the car off. But it is true that usually at the track your there to cool down the car and do not just walk away.

Ya you idle a lot in stop-and-go, which contributes to why stop-and-go motors don't last as long.

As compared to what other motors? To my knowledge all motors are stop and go, besides race car motors?

Black97TSIAWD
01-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Found some quotes from the GN guys, but can't seem to get any of their pics to load.
Well, that is the recommendation for turbos. Turbochargers use the engine oil to lubricate the center bearing in the turbo. If you shut the engine down and the turbo is still spinning fast from 'spirited driving' or even normal driving then it will take a while to slow down (from 130,000rpm). So shutting the engine off will kill the oil supply to the turbo and the bearing in there has to spin at that speed with no lubrication until it stops.

I don't know of too many GN owners who use turbo timers but I know I let mine sit for a minute and idle.

The benifits are from the cooling down of the turbo bearings. This helps coking and an imbalance on the shaft which at over 100,000 rpms even the slightest amount will eventually destroy it.
On a side note, I found that some GN guys use 1G Eclipse BOV although not needed.

91eclipsegsx16boy
02-01-2004, 01:09 AM
GN owners that use dino oil.

I swear synthetic oil will not coke in your dsm, and will continue to lubricate past shut down.

What are you going to do on the dyno after WOT?

By stop-and-go I mean vs. highway mileage.

:santa:
-aaron

talontsiawd
02-01-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Black97TSIAWD
Ahh good thing you brought this up. On the diesel truck boards they recomend shutting the truck down only after egt's are at about 3. Maybe there should be a similar temp that dsm's should shut off at?

3 what? My egt's are at 800 hundred when i start the car up and let it idle. They will only go down to 1000 after letting it idle except if i let it idle for ten minutes. Thats why i feel 1000 is fine. It's my ghetto turbo timer.

Black97TSIAWD
02-01-2004, 02:19 AM
3 what? My egt's are at 800 hundred when i start the car up and let it idle. They will only go down to 1000 after letting it idle except if i let it idle for ten minutes. Thats why i feel 1000 is fine. It's my ghetto turbo timer.

I'm not sure having not looked closely but I think 300? Because the egt gauge has 1 through 9 on it and they say do not turn off until the needle is at 3, which is relatively cool considered to a gas powered car.

Black97TSIAWD
02-01-2004, 02:34 AM
GN owners that use dino oil.

I swear synthetic oil will not coke in your dsm, and will continue to lubricate past shut down.

What are you going to do on the dyno after WOT?

By stop-and-go I mean vs. highway mileage.

:santa:
-aaron

Most GN guys I know use synthetic and still idle down, usually 2-5 minutes. I will keep it safe by cooling it down not trying to flirt with coking the turbo. Eventually I mean after long use you will see the effects of just turning the car off. Also, I now understand what you mean, your right compared to a highway king like a diesel truck that gets around a million miles before an overhaul gas engines are weaker, but it seems that it is plausable to get 150-200K out of a Japanese motor now a days.

dsmlovergirl
02-01-2004, 04:45 PM
or you could just GET a turbo timer ;)
like the other guy said no one wants to babysit. before i got one i remember going to pick up stuff for my friends birthday and this chick i was with got SO PISSED cuz we had to search everywhere and id sit there and wait for my car at every store. and she was like WTF BITCH TURN THAT SHIT OFF and im like are you a fan of walking, cuz im not toting your ass around if you keep whining..

but its just a convenience thing :)

cbilmer
02-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Its a convenience thing for damned sure! I quickly got tired of sitting there like an idiot while my car idled down!

I was also tired of the car giving me trouble when I go to start it up next time if I didn't let it idle down! My friend has the exact same problem if he shuts it off right away.

Now we both let the car idle down for a 30-60 seconds and the car has no trouble next startup. I'm very happy with my purchase, it works great, the car doesn't stumble on next start up... and I even use the voltage display on the Greddy TT as an indicator of my battery and alternator.

Can't really go wrong there now can you? I've also got my alarm set so that its not TOO sensitive to pick up the car idling and set off the alarm! Works great, no complaints.

Oh, and for 91eclipsegsx16boy... i also use full synthetic and the car will still act stupid if i shut it right off.

talontsiawd
02-01-2004, 08:11 PM
or you could just GET a turbo timer ;)
like the other guy said no one wants to babysit. before i got one i remember going to pick up stuff for my friends birthday and this chick i was with got SO PISSED cuz we had to search everywhere and id sit there and wait for my car at every store. and she was like WTF BITCH TURN THAT SHIT OFF and im like are you a fan of walking, cuz im not toting your ass around if you keep whining..

but its just a convenience thing :)
I had one but it broke. I'm selling my car so i'm not shelling out $100 more. The thing is my egt's are a 1000 most of the time by the time i find a parking place and roll my windows up etc. I don't really feel it's necessary.

Darksyne
02-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Best oil, Amsoil or Mobil 1?
Who killed Kennedy?
What happened in Area 51?
How large is the universe?
Why are we here?
Why do humans only use 3% of their brain?
What happened to Jimmy Hoffa?
Do you need a turbo timer?

See a connection? :D

I have a friend that will redline his Sprint to his parking spot and shut-off the engine. The car has 176,000 miles on the original turbo. I have a friend whose car only had 45,000 grandma driven miles on it, turbo went bad.

I like the piece of mind, so I have one set to a minute and a half.

So... Tastes Great or Less Filling?

dsmlovergirl
02-03-2004, 05:56 PM
they found jimmy hoffa. go watch bruce almighty. :D

cbilmer
02-03-2004, 06:32 PM
they found jimmy hoffa. go watch bruce almighty. :D

LMAO!!! Great!

SeatownGST
02-04-2004, 01:13 AM
This is on the verge of the Danger Zone. :mad:

Turbo Timers are comparatively the simplest possible device, there is no need to get all quirky and off topic.

I have a Blitz FATT. Matches the color of the car. Known "BLING" features: tells voltage from battery, has auto-adjusting countdown feature based on speed of car. Simple and effective.

Let's all remain focused, shall we? :D