Help w/ pop ups and wiring problem [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Help w/ pop ups and wiring problem

Tsi_User
03-29-2004, 11:25 AM
I just installed an aftermarket tach and it kinda works, but there seems to be 2 problems that came with the install...

1) The tach came with 4 wires: ground, RPM and 12V and a mystery wire. I got the first three on fine and the tach and shift light works but it doesn't light up. The instructions didn't explain what to do with the additional wire. I goes from an inverter to another set of black an red wires. I tried hooking these up to 12V and ground also but it didn't do anyting. Any ideas?

2) My pop ups are really screwey now. They both at the same time are having trouble going up/down. Sometimes they get stuck up, sometimes they get stuck down. When I try to put pressure on them to get them down they don't budge. Anybody had this problem?

Thanks for the help guys...

SpeedFreak03
03-29-2004, 04:31 PM
1. That 4th mystery wire is for lighting (not for the shift light, i mean like the needle and face of the gauge). So the wire comes out of the tach, and goes into an inverter, which then has black and red wires on it, right? Does the invertor have any switches or setting on it? I think you hook up the red to any wire that has power when the headlights are on.

2. Have no clue :confused:

Tsi_User
03-29-2004, 04:42 PM
well this mystery wire goes from a single black wire to a black box (about 1 inch by 1 inch). Then the wire feeds into some kind white plastic connection that seems like it should come apart and then it splits off into black/red wires.

I already hooked up the red to a 12V and the black to ground but it didn't do a damn thing :(

Tsi_User
04-02-2004, 04:08 PM
alright well today I re-wired the inverter and it works now, go figure :rolleyes: but my pop-ups are still messed up. They are stuck open now and when I hit the swicth to put both of them down they make a clunking noise and don't budge. Any ideas on what this could be would be great. Thanks!

AWDPetmitsu
04-04-2004, 08:48 AM
You might want to check the pop-up linkage/mechanism and see if it's binding or jamming.:confused:

Tsi_User
04-04-2004, 11:22 AM
alright I'll try that out today thanks

Tsi_User
04-04-2004, 01:41 PM
well you were definately right, I checked the lights today and somehow both cables or whatever they're called popped off. I don't really know how, but luckily it's a simple fix. Thanks for the help.