Whats the cheapest place to buy a Greddy Type s BOV? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Whats the cheapest place to buy a Greddy Type s BOV?

Claytoris
04-10-2001, 03:42 PM
What is the cheapest place to buy a Greddy Type S BOV, i also need a flange to fit, do the BOV's come with flanges?

blitztsi
04-10-2001, 10:52 PM
I saw one one the parts trader a while back. The lowest I have seen on the net is at Alamo Motorsports. They sell them for 204.54 plus 7.95 for shipping. I have bought several things from them they are great.

Efeezie
04-10-2001, 11:10 PM
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclintake.htm

$200, not sure about shipping

ProjectGSX
04-11-2001, 06:38 PM
Make sure you keep the box for that GReddy BOV. Three people locally here just got rid of theirs because they had so many problems with them.

The GReddy BOV uses a short progressively wound spring.. so a very small adjustment to it makes a big difference. It also uses a diaphragm to regulate pressure, and they break easy.

Lots of people have gotten them to work tho.

Claytoris
04-11-2001, 10:39 PM
what is a better BOV that you recomend?

ProjectGSX
04-11-2001, 11:02 PM
http://www.paradoxracing.com/mods/rbv.html

Check it out.

JamesGSX
04-11-2001, 11:18 PM
Just get a 1G BOV. Gets the job done. It has run perfectly for me ever since I put it in. I was wondering if anyone had the HKS super sequential BOV. I haven't seen many people use one in their dsm... I also heard a BOV at a car show on a biturbo Audi S4 that blew off in rapid little bursts. Like instead of the standard 1G bov noise like Pssssssshhhhhhhhh, it was like Psssh Pssh Psssh Psshh, like 5-10 little bursts of pressure. If anyone has seen this too, what kind of BOV is that? It sounds bad ass.

Boostd4
04-12-2001, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by JamesGSX
Like instead of the standard 1G bov noise like Pssssssshhhhhhhhh, it was like Psssh Pssh Psssh Psshh, like 5-10 little bursts of pressure. If anyone has seen this too, what kind of BOV is that? It sounds bad ass.

The GReddy Type-S does that as well. It's called, "Flutter." Had it on my old 2G.. can't remember but it happens when adjusted really hard, or really soft...

ProjectGSX
04-12-2001, 08:29 AM
Yeah, BOV flutter isnt supposed to happen. It means that it requires too much force to open the valve, so it is not venting properly.

And yes, the 1G BOV does work great. I wouldnt use it if you plan on boosting over 18psi, though. You can modify it to handle more pressure than that. But if you want something that works great AND looks great, then go with the TurboXS Type-H Racing Bypass Valve.

AWDkitkat
04-12-2001, 09:54 AM
I got a friend with the turbo xs type h and it is always getting stuck open, until you tap the gas.
I dont know just how good it works but his sounds nasty. sounds like stabing a tire. no offence to anybody that has one, ive only seen this one.

ProjectGSX
04-12-2001, 09:57 AM
If its getting stuck, just pull out the piston, polish it up and lightly lubricate it.. only takes a few minutes. No reason to deal with a problem like that. :) You can also contact TurboXS if it gives you problems.. they are generally available during business hours and would be more than happy to help you with those sorts of issues.

AWDkitkat
04-12-2001, 10:04 AM
Sounds easy. it flutters also, only under like 5 psi is it to tight or is that normal

ProjectGSX
04-12-2001, 10:18 AM
Too tight. I know of 8 people using their valves, and no one has fluttering problems.

Which valve is it? The H-RBV or the H-BOV?

How does he have it adjusted?

I would have him call TurboXS.. they have gone through a few different types (size, stiffness) of springs. If he is having trouble with the valve being too stiff they can get him a softer spring.

AWDkitkat
04-12-2001, 10:25 AM
Type H bov, i dont know how tight it is but ill check it for him when he gets back. thanks

ProjectGSX
04-12-2001, 10:29 AM
That could be part of the problem, then. The H-BOV is designed to vent to the atmosphere. I would assume he has a DSM.. If so, unless he has an engine management system that replaces the factory mass air sensor, he cannot vent to the atmosphere and expect his car to run properly.

AWDkitkat
04-12-2001, 10:43 AM
lol its a civic

ProjectGSX
04-12-2001, 10:53 AM
Good. :)

Radian
04-12-2001, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ProjectGSX
The GReddy BOV uses a short progressively wound spring.. so a very small adjustment to it makes a big difference. It also uses a diaphragm to regulate pressure, and they break easy.

Lots of people have gotten them to work tho.

Here's a little tech info for you. The diaphragm in my GReddy BOV wore out. I found that you can use the diaphragm from a stock 2G BOV as a replacement.

Saved me lots of $$$ and finally gave a little bit of value those "POS" 2G BOV's.

ProjectGSX
04-12-2001, 12:34 PM
Wow, I knew there had to be something useful about those stock 2g bovs :)

Either way, we got rid of the GReddy BOV.. just a POS.

Glad it works for you, though.

JamesGSX
04-12-2001, 02:37 PM
HKS super sequential anyone?

Lethal GST
04-12-2001, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Radian

Here's a little tech info for you. The diaphragm in my GReddy BOV wore out. I found that you can use the diaphragm from a stock 2G BOV as a replacement.

Saved me lots of $$$ and finally gave a little bit of value those "POS" 2G BOV's.
how did you manage to get the diaphragm out of the stock BOV?

Radian
04-12-2001, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Lethal GST
how did you manage to get the diaphragm out of the stock BOV? [/B]

Pliers and a big hammer. I think a nut cracker would have worked just as well but it wouldn't have given me the same satisfaction of breaking the stock 2G BOV up.

It really is a poor design.

Although others posted they did not like their GReddy, I love mine now that I changed the diaphragm.

ProjectGSX
04-12-2001, 03:22 PM
If you get the GReddy valve adjusted properly, its great. The problem is getting it adjusted properly. :) Since it has the short progressively wound spring, every small adjustment to the spring tension makes a big difference.

That is why some people have luck with it.. if you get it set up right, youre golden. Well, until the diaphragm breaks.

99AllTurbo
04-12-2001, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by JamesGSX
I also heard a BOV at a car show on a biturbo Audi S4 that blew off in rapid little bursts. Like instead of the standard 1G bov noise like Pssssssshhhhhhhhh, it was like Psssh Pssh Psssh Psshh, like 5-10 little bursts of pressure. If anyone has seen this too, what kind of BOV is that? It sounds bad ass.

I heard that on my friends 600hp Supra at the street races. He had twin Blitz BOV's. It sounded sick.

ProjectGSX
04-12-2001, 03:40 PM
I dunno man. The GReddy, HKS, and other valves that use filiment type inserts to change the tone of the blow off.. I think thats cheesy.

Some one was just saying that they JB Welded a whoopie cushion to his BOV. Made a farting noise every time he shifted!

Ill stick to my PSHHHH, thanks. :)

Lethal GST
04-12-2001, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ProjectGSX

Ill stick to my PSHHHH, thanks. :)
Brian,
How loud is the PSHHHH of the your BOV?? is it really noticeable from the outide? do you get a lot of looks from people?

Boostaholic
04-13-2001, 05:37 PM
Just so you know...

http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=2281

all greddy products off 29%. Thats around 157$ =P