Mutt Turbo (more like Customer service at DSM-Performance) [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Mutt Turbo (more like Customer service at DSM-Performance)

Boostd4
04-12-2001, 01:24 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you in on my experiences dealing with DSM-Performance/Extreme Turbo on purchasing their Level 1 Mutt Turbo. I just finished the process today.

I must have emailed Ross Lapkoff about 15 times with questions, and all were responded to within 24 hours. I sent him one last night at 2am, and I got a response at 4am! He was up working on the webpage, I believe.

And speaking of which, if you haven't been to http://www.dsm-performance.com, you should go right now. By far the most informative, interactive, and attractive website in the DSM community. I'm not going to name names, but there are some web pages out there that look like somebody threw them together with Notepad (not saying you can't do it well with a thorough HTML/java background). In this business your webpage is your storefront.

Okay, back to the product. I told Ross that $1200 for a turbo is a LOT of money. I have been milling it over and over in my head since I can get my hands on a standard 20G for about $900, or 25% less. He then showed me pictures of the shop, the fabrication machines, the quality and CONSISTANCY of the products they produce, described the warranty, upgradeability, and the fact that the garret wheel in a garret comp. housing allows for much more usuable boost since it allows for cooler oulet temps from enhanced efficiency. Was enough to convince me.

They are no longer selling reman'd Mutts, only brand new units. You should see the pictures... anyway, all their porting is done by machine to exact specs, so you get a perfectly smooth consistant port job for maximum performance. Not some hand ported job.. you never know what you're going to get. I know that on Friday mornings when I go to work after a Thursday night out clubbing, the last thing I'm thinking about is doing my job right (usually fighting the urge to beat my head with a hammer) - I'm feel much better about a machine doing the work.

Then I called the shop directly to order and talked to David Hall. He answerred the phone on the 2nd ring, and I was never put on hold. I've been buying DSM parts for 3 years now, and it seems rare to find a mail order/website phone person who values your time. (I've called long distance to Extreme Motorsports on multiple occasions and been put on hold for 5 minutes or longer). I told David what I wanted - a super fast spooling street turbo that I can get into the 11's with. We went through all the variations of the turbo I could make for the same price.. 6cm, or 7cm housing, porting, any degree clip on the wheel, adjustable internal wastegate, etc. We narrowed down what I was looking for and that was that! He said it would take a few days to make the turbo and I'd have it, since I ordered some custom options. Should be here by next Friday. Excellent, I think, for fabrication time and shipping from Alabama to Chicago.

I'll post again when I receive the turbo. I am not affiliated in any way with DSM-Performance or Extreme Turbo - just a very satisfied customer wanting to share my experiences.

Endless
04-12-2001, 06:21 PM
I talked to Eric today about a Mutt 1 and hewas great with my questions. I'm a mechanical engineer so I asked some really bizarre questions and he didnt even get pissed. The thing I was suprised about was that he was able to give me answers and not a lot of ummm uhhhh well uhh crap. As long as were on the subject. I also talked to Robert at forced performance today as well as Marco Passante at Magnus Motorsports. Customer service at both of these shop is also way above and beyond what AI have ever experienced anywhere else. They are all glad to answer any questions and Robert even said the if i have any questions about anything else just to give him a call. i was like what? your're kidding right? No one says that. i'm glad to see that these three shops dont see us as just some one thats gonna give them some money.

Endless
04-12-2001, 06:26 PM
Oh by the way ...the machine that DSM-perf. uses to port their products is a 5 axis milling machine. Very expensive and very very very very very accurate. this is what is used to cut the first mold for formula one and indy cars.

BoostLE
04-12-2001, 09:19 PM
6cm or 7cm? just wondering. FWD?

awdgsx
04-12-2001, 10:10 PM
ill keep this short, however a long story. i ordered a roll cage from the dsm shop and basically got screwed when they when under. apperaently it was ordered by them but never paid for. so i called ross and pleaded my case. it had nothing to do with him or his new shop but they took care of it for me.id reccomend them to anyone and ill always call them first for anything i need.

A.D.
04-12-2001, 11:35 PM
When I called Ross at DSM Performance, he was very helpful, and talked to me like a friend, not a customer. I never expected such a good experience! He was very honest and no BS. He answered all of my questions whether they pertained to the product I was buying from them or not. I'll be doing a LOT more business with them in the future!

If you havn't shopped around yet, check their prices, they are VERY competitive, if not slightly less expensive than some other "larger" businesses.

Boostd4
04-13-2001, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by BoostLE
6cm or 7cm? just wondering. FWD?

I'm getting a 6cm with 15o clip. They've made runs with both the 6 and 7cm housings at the track and at the 450-500hp range it didn't make a difference.. they said maybe 10hp at best, and the 6cm will spool a tad faster. My car is a daily driver, so spool time is important to me. I have AWD.