mustang question...this should get interesting..no flames please [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: mustang question...this should get interesting..no flames please

DSMRSTPOS
04-15-2001, 09:49 PM
ok here it goes. i have a (basically) stock FWD turbo 1g DSM. one night on the way to the track i was behind a 5.0, i could see he had big tires and a fuel pump coming out from under the rear bumper. well i went around him and passed him, and then noticed in my rearview him starting to gain on me..so i floor it and quickly leave him behind. A few nights later i happen to run into the same mustang on a 3 lane highway. we line up going about 40, im in 3rd..he revs at me and i punch it..he never caught me...so at the next light we stop and when it turns green he only beats me by half a car length at the top of 2nd..and hes not gaining..we had to shut down after that. so i go to the local domestic meeting last week and talk to him..he has no idea who i am..he tells me his car runs 11.60s on the bottle (150 shot he said) with slicks, and his friends back him up..his car had a cage, emergency shut off switch, i saw his bottle, and gauges on the a piller..but he wouldnt open his hood. sorry this is so long...heres my question..is he BSing about his times or is it possible for a stock DSM to pull on him in 3rd if hes on street tires and without NOS?? i know this is a general question, but i feel like my car pulls especially hard from the middle of 3rd and up, and its always seemed to me that stangs get all there power off the line and just dont pull to much in the top end..what do you all think??

greenstreak
04-15-2001, 11:09 PM
Hmm, what kind of times and or mods do you have. Off the bottle it is possible that you could have hung with him. Depends on his mods and your own.

WhiteLX
04-15-2001, 11:20 PM
I would guess that off the bottle, his car should run at least a 13.0. Your car must be somewhat modified, I assume? If your car is fairly stock, then something must be wrong, me thinks.

Matt Gent
04-15-2001, 11:22 PM
A stock mustang plus slicks, gears, exhaust, and NOS can run 11.60. On street tires it would run 13.8@100 or so. Should still be faster than a stock dsm, but not by much.

DSMRSTPOS
04-15-2001, 11:45 PM
ok heres my deal...my car is pretty stock, just K&N and plug wires, if you can even call those mods..stock boost and everything. my best run ever is a 14.9@95 but lately the car is running around 15.3@91...now if his car is running like a 13.8 would it be possible that my car could hang with him in a race that started at like 40-45 mph? since then his great 60' time would be irrelevant and traction isnt a factor anymore..like i said it seems that stangs get there great ETs in the first 1/8 of the track anyway..i dunno...maybe he is full of it..who knows..he wouldnt pop his hood.

jfa_16
04-16-2001, 12:17 AM
something smells fishy here....

WhiteLX
04-16-2001, 12:23 AM
Anything is possible, but 11.6 with a 150 shot would still require a high 12 second car to start with. I'm guessing something was wrong on his car, but if you get to talk to him again, just ask him to go again. He probably doesn't get to race too many turbo cars and you'll know if he's BSing or not.

solomontomb
04-16-2001, 12:07 PM
what mods are you running.what year is the mustang. i live in the virgin islands and we race every other sunday and there is a mustang that runs nitro on the track and he is doing 11.2 on the 1/4. i am not kidding. its a older mustang. listen i own a talon i love talons but if i go against a mustang and he dont want to pop the hood he is hiding something. i saw this mustang where i live take off from the hole and i was like i really have to come good with this car. so if the mustang is really tuned i personally think that the talon or eclipse have to at least have the power to kick his ass. which is without a doubt possible. talon forever!

5.0 HO
04-17-2001, 10:23 AM
The mustang has a TON of torque and will get you off the line. If it has a 150 shot of NOS and runs 11s, then it must run high 13s low 14s without the bottle. The reason you were able to stay with the stang at higher speeds was because of your turbo. Your turbo kicks in around 3000rpms which is what you were doing going 40mph. The peak torque curve of a mustang is around 2500rpms, while the peak HP curve is at 5000rpms. I hate NOS, by the way, and would never use it. Good racing.

dsm93talon
04-17-2001, 02:18 PM
i'll bet the stang was an old skool 4 banger auto with a fake bottle

DSMRSTPOS
04-17-2001, 08:27 PM
No, its definitely a 5.0..i know the sound a V8 makes..however it was possible that his bottle wasnt even hooked up..my friend said it didnt look like it was, and im not too familiar with NOS setups, so i cant really say for sure.

5.0: thanks for the feedback and keeping it clean. i appreciate a nice muscle car as well as my DSM and its good to see positive responses instead of the usual slander. Thanks.

TheHondaKiller
04-18-2001, 03:35 PM
The mustang WAS NOT USING HIS NOS. And to run 11's on the bottle you must be able to run 12's off the bottle... His car was fucked up, he should be as fast as a new vette off the bottle if any of his claims are remotely accurate. My buddy has a 91 5.0 with intake, catback, pulley and a chip and can tool stock DSM's, he can hang well with mildly modded ones as well. Maybe he was racing you in fifth gear or something (didn't downshift)? Sorry to burst your bubble but you need at least 100mph traps to even make the race close, and I'm talking off the bottle.

Matt Gent
04-18-2001, 03:43 PM
Off the bottle, and on street tires, a 13 second mustang could easily run 11s. I've had a 5.0 for the last 4 years and drag raced it a bunch. My buddy has a car that almost fits the above description. On street tires, off the bottle, it runs 13.7-13.8@100. On slicks it runs 13.0@102. Slicks and 175 shot it runs 11.7@114-115.

That doesn't mean the race would be close though, as it would still run 100+mph traps, and the dsm is probably more like 92-93. Thats a big enough difference to constitute an ass whooping on the street.

DSMRSTPOS
04-18-2001, 10:29 PM
yeah, i see the point you all are making..I KNOW he wasnt on the bottle..thats a given...but my car pulls 95mph traps, so even if he did have 100 mph traps i think the race would still be close...if instead of 1/4 mile times, people had 1/2 mile times, i think it would more or less even out, the DSM has more top end pull than even a modded 5.0, at least, thats what im trying to figure out. our race was basically from 40-45 to about 80..but anyway...i'll let you all know if i run into him again...BTW, why wouldnt he downshift?? i raced and pulled on him on 2 seperate occasions completely. i know if i had a 5.0, and i saw an eclipse with rims, or any import for that matter..i would try my best to beat them...not let them think they won, theres no point at all in that.

my $.02

DSMRSTPOS
04-18-2001, 10:33 PM
oh, heh, i just thought of one more thing..i didnt downshift either, guess i forgot..i left it in 3rd..i probably could have gotten way more torque if i was in 2nd..and he revved at me, so its not like i was the only one racing.

WhiteLX
04-21-2001, 12:31 AM
Matt, 8 tenths diff. from slicks to radials!? I take it that your friend has not put too much effort into the street tires, that is a HUGE difference.

Dwayner
04-25-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by DSMRSTPOS
...BTW, why wouldnt he downshift?? i raced and pulled on him on 2 seperate occasions completely.

hehe.. Most likely the 1st time he was like.. " oh look at that p.o.s. 4 banger.." (leans to friend in passenger seat and smirks)"bet I could take hime in 4th.. hahuh.. hahuh.."

...lol..

2nd option, and probably the truth-

Mustangs have pretty low red lines and if you guys were crusing at like 40-45 and he was in 3rd.. if he hit 2nd he would be so high in rpms he would just have to shift right back into 3rd, so in cases like that, its best to just stick it out in 3rd. (or whatever gear) I have done that on occasion myself. 3.73 rear gears are damn short!!

Anyone back me on this?... either option? :) hehe

Shane

dsm4eva
04-25-2001, 07:14 PM
That sounds about right. I raced my friend in his 11s blown mustang (on pump gas!) on the expressway at least 20 or 30 times over the years. Whenever I was to be the initiator, I always slowed to about 45, which on FWDs is the sweet spot for second with a 20G. He would always bitch because I would pull on him for about 100-150 feet and then he'd blast past me about 400 feet further. At the time I was running high 13s. Now, from a roll, it would be hard for him to catch me for quite some time. Whenever he would initiate, we would start at about 35 or 55, for what its worth.

WhiteLX
04-27-2001, 12:46 AM
Getting caught between 2 gears is a possibility, and it sucks! My car has 3.73's, runs 12.0 (on pump gas), and some local joker with a mid-nineties Vette with nitrous caught me dead nuts between 2nd and 3rd. Not only that, but he also hit it without letting us stabilize at the same speed. He pulled about a half car length on me, and about the time I start running him down, he let's off. At the next stoplight he turns off scoffing at me like he accomplished something to be proud of. Oh well, this only further inspired my next purchase, a NX stage one kit. Bring it on!

DiamondsR4EVR
04-28-2001, 02:07 AM
If he really runs an 11.60 on slicks and a 150 shot of NOS he should run around a 13.1-13.5 on street tires off the NOS. Since you guys were going 40 mph, he didn't spin his tires and should have handily
beat you with your K and N filter and plugs. We are talking about a stick shift Mustang aren't we? Something was definitely wrong with his car. He very well could have been caught between gears. I know when I had my 91 Talon AWD with intake and exhaust...I raced a basically stock 88 Mustang GT (in the dead of summer) and he got me by about 2 lengths.

BoostedFWD
05-04-2001, 06:23 PM
I regularly go around beating much "faster" more powerfull cars. From a roll a FWD really moves. I put down a Ferrari 360 Modena in a 120-190km/h race. All I have are level 1 mods...

TheHondaKiller
05-04-2001, 06:49 PM
Unless the level 1 mods are 105mph or more in the traps I'm calling the Bullshit card on this one... 360 Ferrari's are quick 110-115mph I believe.

Dwayner
05-04-2001, 06:54 PM
hehehe... Bullshit... thats a fun drinking game :beer:

Shane

BoostedFWD
05-05-2001, 08:11 AM
Oh yeah, I'm at least 105mph. Last year with just a K&N exhaust and 16psi, I ran 100mph.