what cams to get? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: what cams to get?

TF Racing
04-16-2001, 12:10 PM
i have a 90 n/t 2.0 and i want to know kind of cams to get .

Boostaholic
04-16-2001, 03:10 PM
http://www.dsm-performance.com/cgi-bin/store/dsm.cgi

Webcam Racing Cams 546/547

They have them at roadraceengineering.com too, but I dont know the price, they wont alter your idle TOO much (used loosly because every car is different) but gives you the most hp gains out of not sacrificing your ride.

ecoli
04-16-2001, 03:51 PM
You have a non-turbo. I don't know how cams made for the turbo cars would affect your car. Ask in the NT forum.

Boostaholic: The web cams change your idle quite a bit. My car idles much lumpier than my frends cars who have HKS and Crower cams.

Boostaholic
04-16-2001, 04:24 PM
YIKES! Totally just spaced the "n/t" part, its still morning to me and kind of out of it from last night (dont ask) sorry I misled you on the cams. Ecoli, true, but Ive also heard people that put the web cams in and had hardly any problem at all (or they may have had a vpc and such to correct it) But I dont know, dont have mine yet, but mine will probably idle very crappy with my mods...ooh well, its 40hp! =)

ecoli
04-16-2001, 04:47 PM
It idles lumpy but its really no problem. My friends with the tamer sounding idling cams are jealous.

Boostaholic
04-16-2001, 04:49 PM
lol, did you notice huge hp increase after the cams were installed? Ive got practically everything else done and Im looking into them but didnt know if they were worth the lumpy idle. i suppose yes, they are, and I know I will end up buying them just because I have to have everything, but did you like them/love them? I know its totally off subject but Im just curious

ecoli
04-17-2001, 12:30 AM
I don't know if I noticed a peak HP increase, but the increase in the normal HP over about 5800RPMs is very noticable. The car pulls very hard to revlimiter with the cams. I often hit revlimiter even in higher gears, if I am not paying attention, because I don't feel any dropoff in power at all, unlike with stock cams.

TF Racing
04-17-2001, 11:48 AM
i dont care about my idle i just want max hp gains you know what i mean .a bad idle is nothen when you blow some ones doors off.

TF Racing
04-17-2001, 12:07 PM
i was looking at the Webcam Racing Cams 453/228 that one looks good to me.HeHe

Dsmman
04-17-2001, 12:09 PM
How much HP do you think actually gets to the wheels? 40HP is kinda hard to believe.

TF Racing
04-17-2001, 12:39 PM
this i know but more is more
i mean i am geting my head ported to so i should be able to do that 40hp that they say but with the race cam not the street cams and Dsmman i like your paint job.

Dsmman
04-17-2001, 12:42 PM
Thank you. Do the cams work on the NT????

TF Racing
04-17-2001, 12:59 PM
why not its the same motor turbo motors just have diffrent pistons and a turbo so yes i do

ecoli
04-17-2001, 01:17 PM
They will fit, but who knows if they will help much. You won't get anywhere near the gains that a turbo car would from the cams. Aftermarket cams usually have higher lift and duration, which lets more air in. You will get more air, but a turbo car has 15psi or whatever of pressure pushing the air in, so a lot more will get in. Those Web Cam Race cams require dual springs, light wieght retainers, fuel control, etc. They recommend a standalone engine managment system with them.

Endless
04-18-2001, 10:23 PM
I will be ordering the web cams soon ....gotta be a member of the lump dogg posse....

BoostedGST
04-18-2001, 11:24 PM
Where is the cheapest place to get a pair of web cams?!?! I know RRE, but does anyone know where else to get some new ones for a reasonable price?? Im looking into a new set when I change my lifters ;)
l8r
-jeremy

Boostaholic
04-19-2001, 02:16 AM
I dont know RRE's price because it isnt on the web page, but you can check out http://www.dsm-performance.com I know they have them and good explinations of them.

Boostaholic
04-19-2001, 02:30 AM
I dont know RRE's price because it isnt on the web page, but you can check out http://www.dsm-performance.com I know they have them and good explinations of them.

BoostLE
04-19-2001, 04:26 PM
last paragraph about the cams.

BoostedGST
04-22-2001, 11:37 PM
Ya check out http://www.roadraceengineering.com
I think ill pick up a pair of street grinds when I go to change my lifters! Anyone know if you have to change rocker arms too if you change lifters and cams?!
l8r
-jeremy
95 GST AT

gst9020
04-25-2001, 11:17 AM
Street Cams...

Don't do it. These cam are for turbo cars and are designed to work with booost pressure. Your car will not run any faster then it is know. I'd save your money for a turbo car if your looking for speed.

Shane

TF Racing
04-25-2001, 11:40 AM
ok i guess i did not say this but i have a 90 n/t and a 91 gst with the works so.... i was just looking to do something that no one else has done.

widebody
04-25-2001, 12:33 PM
i just bought crower race cams with there high rate spring and titanium retainer kit, the race cams are a little more radical in lift and duration then the webcams plus they are new billet not regrinds

ecoli
04-25-2001, 01:20 PM
Web cams are not regrinds.

widebody
04-25-2001, 01:27 PM
when i called webcam in order to get close to the same specs as the crowers they wanted my stock cams, leading me to believe they would regrind them to give me what i wanted. hence the reason i said the crowers are not regrinds
sorry i should have clarified

eclipse98
04-26-2001, 01:04 AM
If you got to http://www.roadraceengineering.com they have a dyno sheet before and after the web cams. With a 16g they were able to gain 37hp!

Nick 92 TSi AWD
04-26-2001, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by gst9020
Street Cams...

Don't do it. These cam are for turbo cars and are designed to work with booost pressure. Your car will not run any faster then it is know.

A turbo engine likes less overlap (close to none) and duration. I doubt that they would do anything at all for you. Might even be slower.

Nick 92 TSi AWD
04-26-2001, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Boostaholic
didnt know if they were worth the lumpy idle. i suppose yes, they are, and I know I will end up buying them just because I have to have everything

Hey I tell you what how abouts you buy the webcams and then I give you my HKS 264/272 cams? Oh come on Josh they only have 2500 miles on em. What you don't want used cams? lol
We just put shcrick cams in my friends VR6 powered 86 GTI. It sounds friggin baaad. I'm jealous. He's getting a t3/TO4E setup sometime in the near future as well. Man it's no fair my car used to be the one that made all the nifty noises. I'm gonna put a megaphone in my muffler to make it louder :rolleyes:

Oh and in response to someone up there, yes I would put new rocker arms in when switching cams. Just lifters you are fine as long as you keep them in order.

knighty
04-26-2001, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by widebody
i just bought crower race cams with there high rate spring and titanium retainer kit, the race cams are a little more radical in lift and duration then the webcams plus they are new billet not regrinds

You got these?
-----
#64414 Stage 3 - Race, rough idle, built cylinder head. 242 / 245 196 / 198 .411 / .391
-----

I was thinking about it, I see theirs a group buy that knocks about 140 off of the price from crower, but Im sure I'm gonna miss this one because I want to know more about your cams first and how they are gonna sound and affect your idle and so on.

Those are some beastly ass cams, my race car is also gonna be my daily driver... I think I want these bastards though, no matter whats gonna happen to my car (unless it's gonna blow up hehe)

Is your car strip only? HELP! (cams installed yet?)