Aerogear Z3 fenders [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Aerogear Z3 fenders

firepower
04-16-2001, 06:54 PM
I would say that you get what you pay for. These do look good and fit OK, but they are not as easy to install as a set of factory fenders. I would not buy them again, but since I already have them on the car, I am not going to bother with taking them off to return them.

SilverBullet
04-18-2001, 08:41 PM
I was thinking about buying these instead of fabricating my own because of the plastic to metal bonding Wanted to use M3 roadster side vents but they aren't active vents). Were you the one saying that the top portion sits higher than the hood??? How much did you get yours for??
Thanks

gsxalex
04-20-2001, 12:47 AM
Please give us more details.

How much did you pay?
Where did you get them?
What are they made out of?
Are they for appearance only or do they really vent the motor?

ProjectGSX
04-20-2001, 05:10 PM
Appearance only :) Look where the vents are!

I didnt picture John as the ricey type, either :) Let's see some pictures of what they look like, eh?

firepower
04-20-2001, 06:18 PM
OK, first I want to defend myself. I am not the rice type. These fenders were $300 including shipping (from e-bay) for the set. The stock fenders are $171 each. I thought they would weigh less since they are made of fiberglass instead of sheet metal. It turns out they probably only weigh 1 pound less. Also since I had a fender bender I had to get a new fender and paint job, so I figured I would spice up my ride. No, they do not vent the engine compartment at all.

Brian, I would hardly say that Z3 slits are any more ricy than colored vacuum hoses.... :-P

I did say the top of the fender sits higher than the hood, but only about 1mm. It isn't noticable from more than 5 feet away. It will be a while before I have pictures. I am not a computer wiz, so it takes me forever to get stuff up on the web.

ProjectGSX
04-20-2001, 06:23 PM
Hey man, those blue vaccuum hoses weigh atleast 2 grams less than the stock hoses did. Weight savings, I tell you!

firepower
05-31-2001, 03:42 PM
OK, I need to revamp my original statement. Just plain avoid these fenders. The guy at the paint shop started sanding and found all kinds of hairline cracks and pinholes. I will be getting the car back sometime this week and will post pictures soon.

To answer some questions:

I got them on e-bay for $250 ($300 with shipping)
They are fiberglass w/ gutter guard in the vents.
Don't waste your time with these. The stock fenders are way better.

ProjectGSX
05-31-2001, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear that John. hopefully they are able to paint them properly. Still waiting for pictures!

SilverBullet
06-11-2001, 03:33 AM
Anyone else have really bad experiences with fitting and painting these Z3 fenders??? Any good experiences???
I was planning on buying a set in the next month and have heard some similar things like this that they are difficult to paint due to flaws like certain aftermarket kits that just aren't made right. Why can't they come out with quality fender and hood replacements, cause this kind of response only makes me lean towards not purchasing any!!!

firepower
06-11-2001, 10:56 AM
Well I got them on and this is what they look like. They turned out OK, but I still wouldn't get them again if I was doing it over. I just love the new paint job and that is what maters. You can hardly notice the vents unless you are really close or you really know the car. I think they would be more noticable on a solid color car.

riced rs
06-17-2001, 10:41 AM
i meet a guy at hot import nights w/a 97? spyder. he said that the driver's side fit perfectly, but it took DAYS of fabrication to get the passenger side to fit.