DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

FFWD Hacked MAS

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Quadcylla 
#1 ·
This is Al Blaha style modified MAS with an upgrade.
The lower part of the MAS is shaven off and the lower opening is cut out to the max. There is a resistor on the barametric sensor to richen up.
UPGRADE - uses a plastic flapper door - unlike original Al Blaha which uses metal - in VERY UNLIKELY case of door failing (falling off) there is no damage to turbo (which is NOT the case with metal flapper).
The moded MAS pushes the fuel cut so far, you will probably never rich it. The added airflow of the hack = more hp!
Excellent craftsmanship and 2-day turn around.
http://www.ffwdconnection.com

#2 ·
Im getting the Al-Blaha mass air meter in about a week or so but won't end up installing it till I get my S-afc. How is your idle MOBOOST? Performance(spool,top end pull, butt-o-meter dyno)? Also did you notice any sound changes of the engine or exhaust?

#3 ·
If anything hits your turbine blades on the turbo, it might go toast. After all they spin at 75,000 rpm and more, which is hella fast.

Overboost- Did you ever consider making your own. All it is, is a hacked mas, with a flapper door, and a resistor on the barometric pressure line. I made my own, and it cost less than 2 dollars.

Peter

#4 ·
overboostTSI said:
Im getting the Al-Blaha mass air meter in about a week or so but won't end up installing it till I get my S-afc. How is your idle MOBOOST? Performance(spool,top end pull, butt-o-meter dyno)? Also did you notice any sound changes of the engine or exhaust?
Idle - no change - good.
Didn't notice much performance gain - no fuel cut for sure tho :) Intake got a little bit louder.

#5 ·
Hah! A plastic flapper door won't hurt your turbo?

I had a piece of plastic clip (the kind that holds the interior rear quarters on 1G's) about the size of a the tip of a finger get in my turbo.. gnarled nearly all of my turbine blades.

#7 ·
It's one thing to figure something out for yourself. Once you understand all the theories in place and you come up with a sollution on your own then that's your idea and you are free to do what you want with it. It's anothing altogether to copy something of someone else's design and post it up to the world so that people can get it for free. If you cut your bottom end or added a flapper door and/or resistor without understanding what each did then that's copying. Same goes with the size of door... amount of hack and value of resistor. If everything you did in the mod results from solid reasoning of your own then it's yours.

I hope no one goes down the second path... that's immoral.

[Edited by Quadcylla on 04-27-2001 at 09:27 AM]

#8 ·
Quadcylla said:
It's one thing to figure something out for yourself. Once you understand all the theories in place and you come up with a sollution on your own then that's your idea and you are free to do what you want with it. It's anothing altogether to copy something of someone else's design and post it up to the world so that people can get it for free. If you cut your bottom end or added a flapper door and/or resistor without understanding what each did then that's copying. Same goes with the size of door... amount of hack and value of resistor. If everything you did in the mod results from solid reasoning of your own then it's yours.

I hope no one goes down the second path... that's immoral.

WORD!!!

P.S. That's exactly why I just didn't "copy" somebody else's hacked MAS - it might have worked - but why not let someone who KNOWS do it (frankly speaking I don't understand everything about the works of MAS - and that's why I don't want to mess with it, however I do know the basics and maybe some advanced stuff - and yet...).

#9 ·
It's anothing altogether to copy something of someone else's design and post it up to

So does this mean becuase I have the means and equipement to build some of my mods that I am immoral. Like the 3" exhaust and that 2 1/4 UIP, oohh yea and what about that boost controoler. Just because I used mandrel bent pipes that some other companies use. Am I still copying? Or stealing? Anyway I think that whole statement was retarded, People and businesses are doing these kind of things everyday, to try and come up with a product that does the same thing as another but yet it costs less. If everyone kept their secrets to themselvs we'd all be shellin out or money to someone else. Example. I will never buy an exhaust from a "BIG" name company when I can do it myself. They have to be making a killin on some of these parts. Now a product like a stand-alone I will definetly pay for. Because that takes R&D to get them right so it is worth it to pay these companies for thier work and good product. Let me stop rambling. Have a nice day!

#10 ·
You read it wrong. It you understand what you're doing then go ahead and do it yourself.... there's nothing wrong with that.

But if you take a MAf mod home and copy it... not knowing what it does other then make hp and delay fuel cut then you're close to the line and that can be arued back and forth for ever.

If you then tell someone else what to do and provide a parts list to do it... still not understanding what every step of the mod is and what it's for then I've got no problems calling that immoral.

What's to undertand about exhausts??? Bigger means more flow and more HP.... so you understand that and are applying it on your own... there's nothing immoral about that.

[Edited by Quadcylla on 04-27-2001 at 01:22 PM]

#11 ·
If you then tell someone else what to do and provide a parts list to do it... still n

AAAAHHH Okay I can agree with that, How can you tell people how to do something if you don't understand the how's and why's of it. Totally agreeable.

#12 ·
You should be free to do whatever the hell you want to any part of your car as long as your not breaking the law. Modding the MAS blaha style is simple in terms of theory. Its not immoral or stealing because everybody who markets one of the MAS is just copying HKS's design anyway. So just list how to make one and how the parts work with the MAS and everyone is happy.

This sport isn't about making others rich, because I can't afford that. If I can do it myself I will.

#13 ·
90TSI-AWD said:
This sport isn't about making others rich, because I can't afford that. If I can do it myself I will.

Huh? Racing has been about making others rich from day one :) Why else would people offer to sponsor cars?

#14 ·
Sure racing is about money, but seriously how many people on this forum race competitivly? Probably few. most people just enjoy alot of power and doing a little street racing from time to time. SO most of us try to mod our DSM's for the cheapest we can. Remember being a good capitolist comsumer means beating the bougise capitolist merchant at his own game (a little twisted Marx for you).

#15 ·
How low is your 90 AWD with the Sportlines?

I thought they only made ProKits for the 1G AWD's. I have Progress, and I'm happy with the 1.5" drop, but my old 95 AWD had prokits, and the ride was MUCH better. I'd like to go Eibach for the ride, and the Sportlines are usually lower, right?

#17 ·
Well, not everyone needs to agree. If we all did this world would be a very different place, possibly pretty boring. Anyhow, the sportline drop is 1.8" even Front and rear. The prokit is 1". Alot of people bag on the sportlines, but after having H&R's I personally like the sportlines better. The car handles great and looks alot better. One minus-travel in the front is limited, it will bottom on hard bumps.
Do a search, I wrote up a full review on them.

#18 ·
can't give details of how he 'blaha'd' an MAS because the theory is lacking? then why is one of the first things i did to my car and everyone tells the new DSM'er to do is take of his air can and start ripping out the silencer, lower honeycomb, etc.? How many that make that their first project on their most loved DSM actually know what they are doing? They are just following the VFAQ and crossing their fingers for the most part. Not all of us are so mechanically inclined and following after those that have gone before us with more experience gives us confidence to go on to the next project, the next stage...

#20 ·
RE: Topic

Anyway - I didn't want this thread to turn into discussion of morality ...
I personally think hacking your mas is like building your own MBC - both are pretty simple and require understanding. What else is common for both of them - a half-@ss job might damage your motor: that's exactly why I'm ready to pay extra to someone who has done the research, done it before many time, and has proven his/her work .....

Yes - bleader valave will do the job of upping the boost.
Yes - chainsaw-cut MAS will flow more air.

But do you really wonna go with any of those???

#22 ·
WOW. I've been reading this board for a while and I think that is the most bogus statement I have seen yet. How is it immoral to get the info on how to hack my MAS and do it myself instead of paying someone $150 to do it for me? It's not like I'm taking that info and turning around and selling hacked MASs. Are you getting a kickback from Blaha or something? Is it immoral to buy computer parts and put one together yorself instead of buying it from IBM? I guess I'm just going to Hell.

#23 ·
Here we go again :(.

Warning... this is my own friggin opinion and if you don't like it I don't care.

It's not immoral for you to figure out how to do it and do it. It's immoral to look at a Blaha MAF and then copy it for all your freinds. Not only that but it's stupid if you don't know all the things involved.

If you understand what you are doing then do it. If you know enough to replicate a similar design in your own image then go ahead and do it for or sell it to who ever you want. That's why I put up the page on MAF theories so those who want to replicate it can... but with the knowledge needed not a blind copy (http://members.home.net/vortexracing/Theories_MAF.htm).

I don't get any kick backs from Al... in fact I compete with him. I sell a do it yourself kit that I designed from learning the theories, looking at some of the designs out there and then coming up with my version.

There's a reason this thread died... no one wants to argue about opinion stuff. It was also running at the same time as another thread on the same topic so if you want more opinions go search for that one too.

[Edited by Quadcylla on 06-26-2001 at 08:41 AM]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.