Help ! My car is eating gas..Bad [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Help ! My car is eating gas..Bad

95eclipseGST
04-25-2001, 09:49 AM
My car from being topped off is only getting 200 miles from full to empty. And with gas prices like this is killing me..I am trying to fix it this weekend. Also do turbos just go out all the sudden or do they loose boost pressure etc. When i am getting on it, sometimes it seems like i am getting no boost or hardly any. The only thing i have done to the engine is a Blitz blow off valve and stillen intercooler piping. Is my BOV messing up or my turbo going out? Maybe a wastegate prob? Any help would be appreciated. I am still trying to post pics of my car just painted and have tried photopoint, zing, imagestation etc and when you go into the post there is only a place where the pic should be with an x in the corner. Pics can be seen though at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1636961&a=12523215&p=46199363&f=0

I Killed Tupac
04-25-2001, 11:12 AM
If your using a Blitz bov, then your venting into the atmosphere, running waaaaay too rich (the MAS has already counted the air from the dump tube that should be going into the intake, and mixed gas accordingly). This should be, and is, causing you alot of problems. You'll burn out your O2 sensors soon i suspect. When it seems like your car has no power when you get on it, your ECU is probably pulling the timing to avoid detonation. Get a differnt BOV that you can vent back into the intake.

ThErMaL92tSi
04-25-2001, 04:04 PM
I get 200 miles from F to E all the time but that is from speeding around.driving speed limit i get about 250 miles maybe it's how you drive? i dunno.just my .02

jfa_16
04-26-2001, 12:40 AM
i get terriblye gas mileage because i never go the speed limit. it souns like you are running rich. do you have any black smoke coming out of your exhaust? that can be a sign of unburnt gas going out the tailpipe. look at your spark plugs and see if they are black. if so, you are running rich. that means that you have too much gas and not enough air mixing properly in the engine. i don't fully understand the different types of bovs, but it sounds like tupac knows his shit. good luck.

91Tsi
04-26-2001, 01:15 AM
Tupac,
Why would a car running rich cause the ecu to pull timing to avoid detonation. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that detonation is when there is a lean condition in the combustion chamber. This makes the combustion very violent and unstable. Running rich causes the performance to withdraw for other reasons than ecu pulling timing due to detonation.

95eclipseGST
04-26-2001, 06:08 AM
My BOV is running back into my intake. The blitz is hard to do that with but i have the dump tube going back in with no leaks. I do drive like im on meth but 200 mpg just isnt what i used to get when driving like that. Not to mention the fact that i have lost a lot of power. Sometimes more than others though..Its wierd. Anyway could my o2 sensor just be going out period making this problem? I am going to check my sparkplugs this weekend. I only have 60,000 miles on my 95. And changed plugs wires , pvc valve etc. Is there a way to tell if the o2 sensor is bad or you just have to change it? How much is an o2 sensor in general? less than $100?

shartlza
04-27-2001, 05:48 PM
Is there a way to tell if the o2 sensor is bad or you just have to change it? How much is an o2 sensor in general? less than $100? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, if your O2 sesor is going out your check engine light will come on, maybe for a while, maybe for good. There is a way to check it. Find the wires going to the ECU and hook up a volt tester to it, If you get no reading it is bad. The senor is around $75-$90 mattering where you get it. Check it out. My car guzzzzled gas when mine was out.

BoostedFWD
04-27-2001, 05:58 PM
Try hacking your MAS, this will definitely make you run leaner and give more power. I can get as much as 500-550km on a full tank if I drive without using boost. Otherwise I'm down in the 450km range...

Viprklr
04-29-2001, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 95eclipseGST
[BI do drive like im on meth but 200 mpg just isnt what i used to get when driving like that[/B]
You're complaining!!! :eek:
Also make sure your grounding straps are hooked up.