Anyone know how to cheat on the new upstate NYS vehicle inspection? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Anyone know how to cheat on the new upstate NYS vehicle inspection?

l80bpm
06-27-2005, 08:25 AM
First off yes, I did a search on this. My inspection is gonna run out soon and I need to find a way to get around the new NYS inspection/emissions procedures. Inspectors now are forced to hook up PC based hardware directly to your ECU on cars '96-'03 (mine's a '98), and it is connected directly to the main DMV system, and if you have any codes (like a check engine light) you automatically fail and the info is already in the DMV system. If you pass, the hardware prints your inspection sticker. My check engine light is one because I have an offroad exhaust w/o a cat. This hardware can also detect any change or deletions of codes within the ECU, and obviously just disabling the light itself won't work. I'd rather not have to buy an entire exhaust system with cat just for the inpection, but I'm not finding any other solution so far...Any ideas?

If this should be in another forum, please move for me...

AWDx4G63
06-27-2005, 08:39 AM
I am sorry to tell you that I know this guy who OWNS the shop and told me I won't have any luck with a 96+ car with Check Engine light on. There is No way to get around it because if he doesn't plug in the OBD-II into any 96'+ cars, the inspectiong has not finished yet. It's part of the process.

Well, I have Check Engine light on with straight pipe, no cat and it's 95', I just got an inspection sticker few weeks ago :)

Perhaps, anyone has any clue on this board? I'd like to know

Andrew

Splattj
06-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Get on your local forums and see if you can borrow a stock exhaust. It's legit and it's cheap. You can meet up, buy your new friend a beer and borrow his old exhaust. Reset your ECU, drive around for a couple days and get your inspection. Meet up. Buy them another beer. Go home happy. Or check with the local junkyard for a stocker....

import eater
06-27-2005, 08:42 AM
I am sorry to tell you that I know this guy who OWNS the shop and told me I won't have any luck with a 96+ car with Check Engine light on. There is No way to get around it because if he doesn't plug in the OBD-II into any 96'+ cars, the inspectiong has not finished yet. It's part of the process.

Well, I have Check Engine light on with straight pipe, no cat and it's 95', I just got an inspection sticker few weeks ago :)

Perhaps, anyone has any clue on this board? I'd like to know

Andrew

Hmmm couldnt you hook a logger up and clear any codes RIGHT before u drop the car off so you know the code wont get thrown again untill alteast you are out of the shop

l80bpm
06-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Supposedly this OBD-II hardware would know that the codes were just erased. Or so it says on the couple of sites I was on reading up on this new test. Otherwise that would be a great idea. The stock exhaust swap for the day might be my only way out...any more ideas if you guys have them are appreciated, in the meantime I guess I'm gonna start looking for a local guy with an old exhaust...

Infinity
06-27-2005, 09:05 AM
When I cleared the CEL on my montero before taking it into the emissions testing lot, I thought all would be well. However the emissions testers here have slightly more powerful diagnostic computers and could tell that the ECU has been recently reset. I guess the fuel maps or something also gets reset. They asked me to drive the car around for a few days and come back. I let the car idle for a few hours a day and then came back. It passed.

cars4fun2001
06-27-2005, 09:29 AM
get a jegs catologe you can order a casper its a o2 simalator that will plug in where the rear o2 did and keep it from turning on I have put them on many difrant types of cars and trucks with great luck there about 35 dollors

quazz209
06-27-2005, 10:05 AM
just wrap the sensor in aluminum foil and hang it under the car, up out of the way so it cant really seen and plug the exhaust(18mm oil drain plug). If you have a buddy that can "overlook" the absence of cat that is. Then reset your ecu and drive around for a few days. The O2 then reads the ambient air and you wont get the CEL-then go get your car plugged into DMV and get your new inspection. Mine just passed last month using that same method.

FlumpDSM
06-27-2005, 10:11 AM
DSMLink worked for me. Since it actually stops the ECU from looking for the codes it doesn't report them. I passed Ohio's E-check exactly this way. Then again the lady looked with a mirror under my car and somehow she found a cat....and I just happen to not ahve one.

l80bpm
06-27-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm liking that idea about the aluminum foil. I plan on eventually getting a DSMLink, but don't really have the extra $600 at the moment. I have a guy that will overlook the absence of the cat, so no problem there. Forgive the newb question, but is there anything else I need to do to reset the ECU other than disconnecting/reconnecting the battery?

thanks for all the help---

Omega WS6
06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
The code problem is easy. Having no cat is a DEAD give away. Put a cat/test pipe section in and buy/make the 02 eliminator.

Done, and passed.

quazz209
06-27-2005, 02:16 PM
If you want to clear the code w/o screwing up your fuel trims you can have autozone clear the code for free if you dont have a logger yourself to do it. If you want to do it youself, removing the negative terminal of the battery will do the trick.

i1nk83
06-29-2005, 11:47 PM
and to avoid the cel for the lack of a cat go to autozone/advance etc and buy a set of sparkplug non foulersf(i have no idea how they are intended to be used) . they should come in a pack of 2, and you will need the large short ones. screw them together, take a drill bit about the size of your o2 sensor probe and drill out the center. screw these into your o2 bung and then screw the o2 sensor into the nonfoulers. works everytime.

hotshyt
06-30-2005, 04:59 AM
I own an OBD-II scanner..it has past engine codes that wre set, and when they were set at what RPM...its a smart machine, they kNOW...b/c there are chips made specifically for certain autos Chrysler 92-96 yadd yadda yadda..I'm close to figuiring out a bypass...but the onyl thing that catches me is past dummy lights appearances...hmm...I will keep you informed...but in Ga we don't have 'spections yet...lol thankfully

l80bpm
06-30-2005, 06:51 AM
yeah, they definitely are smart machines, i hate them and i haven't had to deal with one yet. my inspection runs out today so i will have to soon. i'm gonna try the O2 sensor simulator...it should get rid of the CEL as if i had installed a cat and O2 sensor, so the OBD-II machine should 'think' that i have recently had a CEL, but that the problem was fixed and all is now legal, correct?

l80bpm
07-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Okay, just for future searches, I am updating this thread - I talked to the company that makes the O2 simulators, and they tell me it won't work for this purpose. The CEL will stay on. There needs to be a cat there for it work, apparently. I even asked the guy if he was telling me this to keep his company's lawyers happy (not wanting to openly encourage someone to use their product for illegal purposes), and he said no, that it really wouldn't work. He could've been lying, but who knows. I'm gonna install a stock exhaust for a day to pass, I think...I can probably get one for cheap...gonna be a pain in the ass, but whatever, non-inspection tickets are worse...

Omega WS6
07-11-2005, 01:58 PM
If theirs needs a cat to work, they only have half the circuit made. You need to make one.

Thre are 4 wires. Two for the sensor, two for the heating element. You need a small resistance value for the sensor portion. The heater element is tricky. You need to find some resistors that can consume a huge amout of current. Make that, and you won't have a problem, the ECU will think that everything is fine.

There used to be a site with the schematics, but it went down ages ago.

95EagleAWD
07-11-2005, 04:05 PM
When I went catless, I just wired the second O2 sensor outside the exhaut pipe. Never threw a CEL, nothing. Runs fine and haven't had a problem.

Stldave2
07-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I had the same problem. Solution? 95 eprom ecu. I crashed the computers at the emissions station:)

l80bpm
07-11-2005, 07:03 PM
hmmm, i didn't think of that, just wiring the sensor outside of the pipe instead of in it...maybe i'll try that and see if it works first...

ippkiss
07-12-2005, 06:08 PM
You don't need a fucking stock exhaust. All the computer needs for it to be happy is a car that isn't running so rich its throwing flames, and a half decent cat that actually works. You can have this welded into your exhaust by any half assed muffler shop. If you want to make it real easy for you on the future, you can buy cat's, v band flanges and v band clamps from places like www.atpturbo.com. With v band flanges on, all you have to do is undo two bolts, and you can swap your cat out for a test pipe (which most muffler shops will make, but won't install on a street car). Then when Inspection comes around next year, you swap your cat back in and go pass. That way your cat stays nice no matter how rich you run (beacuse you don't have it on the fucking car untill you need it for emissions). I have my doubts about passing with the o2 hanging out in the fresh air.

karnsatron
07-12-2005, 06:22 PM
http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

Look under "exhaust" for the 2g o2 elimination.

theslik1
07-12-2005, 10:36 PM
http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

Look under "exhaust" for the 2g o2 elimination.

Did this a couple of years ago and it works as advertised. It only costs a few bucks for the parts at Radio Shack, including the nice little plastic "black box" that everything sits in under the seat. :cool:

Asmodeus
07-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Glad mine's a 95...
LMFAO!
HA! :P

terror rising
07-13-2005, 11:12 AM
For once it is finally better to own a 95!

gsxaddict
07-13-2005, 11:15 AM
I gotta solution for you that will work 100% im just not sure if you new yorkers
have it.... im in NJ and we have here what we call a pass/fail inspection its only
$70.00 and your good for another 3 years.... it worked for me i guess 70 buckeroos
isnt that much for have a illegal street car hehehe :D

shott17
07-14-2005, 03:48 AM
im saying this as a friend.
Sell it. buy a 95 or better yet a 1g. ill sell ya one cheap hehe J/K.

p.s. to the guy posted above me. No we dont have that sheet. lucky bastard.

the best consievable way around this problem is to be like me. make 40K a year, have no money and not be able to afford anything newer then a 95. its cheap, easy. and no hassle. :)

l80bpm
07-14-2005, 06:53 AM
nah, i'm too into my car now to sell and get a 95. it just sucks that this problem only applies to 96-03 cars. ah well...i'm just gonna make a test section and swap the cat in and out for inspection days. seems to be the easiest long term solution. shouldn't be too difficult.

Asmodeus
07-14-2005, 07:40 AM
In all honesty that is exactly what you should be doing.
Spend a bit of change and get it flanged well so its a snap.
It's the simplest way to do it. Even the red-necks do it that way.
(Mainly because electronic trickery and new fangled contraptions are a bit out of their league...)
:D

Omega WS6
07-19-2005, 11:35 AM
I finally found that schematic you need. Do this and you won't have any problems!!!

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html

AWD eclipse97
07-28-2008, 09:40 PM
i live in upstate new york and i have to pass obdII emissions as well. In order to pass emissions in NY you need to complete 4 out of 5 emissions system monitors such as egr, o2, cat efficency, evap, and 02 heater. when you clear a cel it also clears the monitor completion status so you have to run the monitors again through a series of drive cycles. Unfortunately for us mitsu owners they dont like to run the monitors very easily. For the no cat efficiency code, i did the spark plug non fouler trick and its worked everyday since i did it probably the better part of 6 months, i used to work at a dealership so visual inspection is no problem.

Buddhalux
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
I'd load up on E85 then when down to a 1/4 tank change the oil and head right to the inspection station.

tonymitss5
07-29-2008, 12:19 AM
My DSM passed the OBDII emissions inspection two Januarys ago with a 3" Turboback Exhaust, no cat all straight piping. Didn't throw a CEL, and had no problem passing any sort-of visual inspection.

AWDx4G63
07-29-2008, 08:22 AM
I finally found that schematic you need. Do this and you won't have any problems!!!

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html

I have the same circuit. it doesn't work for me. :( anyone?

Andrew

cmspaz
07-29-2008, 09:54 AM
I didn't read the whole thread to know if this was suggested, but I know pulling the neg-term on the battery clears codes, would that not also remove any proof that they existed (with the hard reset and all)? If you were to do that right before inspection, could you not pass it that way?

TurboTsi1992
07-29-2008, 10:44 AM
This thread is old!! Hey look Stldave2!!!! His car was so sweet. Anyone know what happend to it?

I had the same problem. Solution? 95 eprom ecu. I crashed the computers at the emissions station:)