2G a/b AWD drivetrain differences [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: 2G a/b AWD drivetrain differences

Omega WS6
07-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Forget about auto, this is manual only.

Are all 2G parts the same? I hear that they were split into 95-96 and 97-99, the transmission must be matched with a like year transfercase.

Will a 1G (23 spline) t-case work with which year 2G transmissions? Is is the transfercase input slpine or the output (drive shaft side) that get mismatched?

I am looking for the final answer on this and why.

I'm sick of searching and getting nowhere.

greenstreak
07-08-2005, 02:32 PM
All 2Gs are identical. The only changes between them were appearance related.

Omega WS6
07-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Then why do i keep reading all this crap about the drivetrains being different with the 2G?

So you are saying that ANY 2G transmission will work with ANY 2G transfer case (still talking 5 spd parts here)?

drcustom
07-08-2005, 03:53 PM
The starters are different, and not interchangeable, but I don't know why.

It could be the transmission, it could be the starter bracket, it could be something else. Otherwise, the only difference I'm aware of (never tried swapping) is that the 97 had better syncros.

Then why do i keep reading all this crap about the drivetrains being different with the 2G?

So you are saying that ANY 2G transmission will work with ANY 2G transfer case (still talking 5 spd parts here)?

TurboWizard
07-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Your first statement is correct...
The 95-96 parts are NOT able to be mixed with the 97-99 parts. (Tranny, Transfer case and rear end)

This is not written down on any manual, but if you talk to any speedshop that's been around awhile (FP,RRE, etc) they will say the same.

No one is 100% sure why. I won't speculate, I just know that if you start mixing parts, they will start failing very fast!!

-Owner of a 97 GSX (auto to manual swap) Currently running a tranny, tc and rear end from a 96!

BlinkerFluid
07-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Here is what I have learned from my travels... please correct me if I am wrong.

The rear ends are the same gear ratio in all manual transmission cars.

97-99 front differential ring gear has 1 (one) more tooth, though the pinion is identical for all 2g's. (again dont know about 1g's on this).

97-99 T-case has an adjusted gear ratio to compensate for this different front differential final ratio.

So, knowing this information, if you have a 95-96 tranny, use a 95-96 (or a 1g 23 spline) T-case. Of cource, if a 97-99 tranny is used with a 95-96 T-case, pirate the ring gear from the front differential or vice versa.

As for the starters, I do not know. A few different part numbers are listed in my old CAPS program, I couldn't say.

Bottom line is, you need to match the proper front diff and T-case gear ratios.

This is not written down on any manual, but if you talk to any speedshop that's been around awhile (FP,RRE, etc) they will say the same.

Seek and ye shall find... T-case and final drive ratios can be found in the technical manuals, the difference really shows up there. ;)

JRM

TurboWizard
07-24-2005, 11:29 PM
97-99 front differential ring gear has 1 (one) more tooth, though the pinion is identical for all 2g's

I knew someone had the answer!!

Beaner
08-15-2005, 02:32 AM
I have a 99GSX trans with a 95 transfercase in my 2g with zero issues. It's been like this for almost two years now.

97gsx500
07-16-2006, 12:06 PM
so could i use my 95 lsd rear end with my 97 gsx tranny and transfer case

Omega WS6
07-16-2006, 07:14 PM
I emailed shep about this. He confirmed that the info that blinkerfluid posted was correct.

I can't explain Beaner.

I would just try and keep everything as mentioned to avoid issues.

The_EE
07-16-2006, 07:22 PM
I have a 97 that used to be automatic.

I put in a 95 5 speed AWD TRans, Transfer case and rear diff, I kept my 97 drive shaft and axles. Would I see any problems from that?

JessGST
07-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Here is what I have learned from my travels... please correct me if I am wrong.

The rear ends are the same gear ratio in all manual transmission cars.

97-99 front differential ring gear has 1 (one) more tooth, though the pinion is identical for all 2g's. (again dont know about 1g's on this).

97-99 T-case has an adjusted gear ratio to compensate for this different front differential final ratio.

So, knowing this information, if you have a 95-96 tranny, use a 95-96 (or a 1g 23 spline) T-case. Of cource, if a 97-99 tranny is used with a 95-96 T-case, pirate the ring gear from the front differential or vice versa.

As for the starters, I do not know. A few different part numbers are listed in my old CAPS program, I couldn't say.

Bottom line is, you need to match the proper front diff and T-case gear ratios.

Seek and ye shall find... T-case and final drive ratios can be found in the technical manuals, the difference really shows up there. ;)

JRM

You are correct. You can use a 95-96 transmission in a 97-99, but you must switch over the T/C as well. The 95-96 T/C will bolt into a 97-99, but it will break your center diff or VC in no time because of what you mentioned above.

estephano
09-01-2006, 02:24 AM
I have a 95 AWD eclipse and i wanted to make sure, because i need a transfer case transmission and front drive shaft. Can I use a 1g 23 spline transmission? or am i limited only to the 2ga transmision and transfer case. I would greatly appreciate your help.

DSM_Aruba
09-01-2006, 07:46 AM
I have a 95 AWD eclipse and i wanted to make sure, because i need a transfer case transmission and front drive shaft. Can I use a 1g 23 spline transmission? or am i limited only to the 2ga transmision and transfer case. I would greatly appreciate your help.

The 1G 23 spline T/C can be used

Omega WS6
09-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Yup, 1G and 2Ga tcase's are the same.

Ninety7GSX
01-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Of cource, if a 97-99 tranny is used with a 95-96 T-case, pirate the ring gear from the front differential or vice versa.

Back from the grave...

Only the ring gear is necessary?? Are you sure of this? Seems like the gear that spins it would need to be different too.

The reason I ask is because I have a 96 trans and would like to keep my 97 tcase. I have a broken 97 trans that I believe the front diff is good in and would like to swap it over if its that simple.

JackM
01-05-2009, 02:03 AM
99% of the time when dealing with a 2G trans all you have to do is swap the front diff ring gear because the output gear is the same on the 57 and 58 tooth units. They changed the tooth size on the 57 and 58 ring gears to work and fit to the same output gear. I had a couple that I have run into though that were different on a 2G for some reason. They may have been JDM units or something odd...

If you already have both though just swap the output and ring gear as a set to be on the safe side. Plus, they are already worn into each other so I wouldn't want to mix them up.

Jack

twicks69
01-05-2009, 07:54 AM
All 2Gs are identical. The only changes between them were appearance related.

No, they are not.

The 95-96 share the same front differential ring gear tooth count and transfer case gear ratio as the 91-94 DSM's, which is a 58-tooth ring gear. The 97-99 most definitely have a different front differential ring gear tooth count and transfer case gear ratio, which includes a 57-tooth ring gear.

If you decide to put a 58-tooth ring gear (91-96) with a transfer case from a (97-99); or vise versa, it will cause a 2mph difference between the front and rear wheels which WILL fry your center diff and whatever else fails due to it.

The final drive pinion gear is identical for 91-99 transmissions, and should be paired with a matched front diff ring gear for gear wear meshing compatability.

These are the main driveline differences between the 2Ga and 2Gb DSM's.

JackM
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
The final drive pinion gear is identical for 91-99 transmissions, and should be paired with a matched front diff ring gear for gear wear meshing compatability.

If you are talking about the output gear that meshes with the front diff ring gear in the trans then no, they are not the same. The helix angle was different on some of the 1G units. They look to have the same tooth count and mesh correctly with the naked eye, but they don't.

Jack

empie2
01-18-2009, 02:17 PM
So I'm in dire need of a t-case for my 97 but I don't have $600 to get it new :(

dsmtalontsi95
09-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Back from the grave again. How can you tell what the difference is between t-cases on the 2g's? Is there a part number I can run?

HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
09-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I honestly don't know. I'd email Jack and see if he can help you.

fox406
09-22-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm so glad I read this thread. I have 2 drivetrains, one from a 95 and one from a 97. I'll make sure I only install the proper one. Pretty sure I have the 97 drivetrain in now.