kaaz lsd [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: kaaz lsd

AFTERMATH
10-11-2005, 05:51 AM
i just recently got my trans rebuilt and a kaaz LSD in it. theres a rattling noise comming from it when i make turns. is that normal? if so how long do i have to drive to make the noise dissapear?

90blacktsiawd
10-11-2005, 07:03 AM
i just recently got my trans rebuilt and a kaaz LSD in it. theres a rattling noise comming from it when i make turns. is that normal? if so how long do i have to drive to make the noise dissapear?

I dont have a kaaz myself but i did do alot of research on them when i got my tranny rebuilt. Did you follow the break in procedure correctly? Are you using the proper gear oil for it? The clutch packs will make moises when they are engaging/disengaging. I've heard of a gear oil made by a company called motul that does a very good job at quieting down the kaaz diff's. Mayeb give that a try. But most importantly i hope you broke in in properly. You have to drive in tight figure 8's for i believe a half an hour.

AFTERMATH
10-11-2005, 08:33 AM
yeah im using the correct gear oil for it but i never heard of the break in procedure. theres also kind of a bad smell that comes out of it too once in a while.

mavisky
10-11-2005, 12:21 PM
They have a strange break-in procedure for them that requires you to make ten left hand circles and then ten right hand circles, and then drain the transmission fluid. They KAAZ does make some noise from what I've read. Call Shep about this, not sure if he's done the rebuild on yours but he's set up KAAZ's on his own car as well as others I know of.

AFTERMATH
10-11-2005, 07:28 PM
ok thanks alot guys ill try it out

bazeng
10-12-2005, 05:17 PM
i've got the kaaz

in the manual it says to run it in for about 1 hour doing figure 8's (i dont think anybody could possibly do this without being looked at like a freak)

as for oils, to run in use mineral LSD oil, drain after 1000km's i think then put it in the good stuff (synthetic lsd oil)

i have not driven my car yet, but i've pushed it with the lsd in!
it makes a clicking noise / feel when pushing and turning the car even slightly.

damnslowtsi
10-17-2005, 09:40 PM
So what fluid do you use? Kaaz? You just said proper oil.

RRE suggests adding RL friction modifier if you use something other than Kaaz stuff. In extreme cases you 'll have to tear it apart and sand the disks lightly and then do the break in all over again. Hopefully you are not in for it.

bazeng
10-18-2005, 05:10 PM
im using fuchs oil, mineral stuff

the kaaz oil provided is only 2L
the box needs 2.7L

i believe the kaaz oil is just a mineral lsd oil, once that has been run in, ill drop the mineral oil and put in some sythetic lsd oil...

(i was told by the guy i bought it off that its fine)

im now driving my car, it clicks like anything while turning with throttle, rolling is fine

its getting better, not as clicky now after 100km's,
ill do an oil change soon, probably at 400km's and put in a new batch of box oil...

but traction is awesome (fwd)

boostintalon96
10-18-2005, 06:50 PM
i almost bought a kaaz but i heard mixed reviews on them so I bought a quaife. Well worth the money 200% more front wheel traction!! and no wierd noises

mavisky
10-18-2005, 07:03 PM
i almost bought a kaaz but i heard mixed reviews on them so I bought a quaife. Well worth the money 200% more front wheel traction!! and no wierd noises

I've read issues of those things freewheeling if one tire's in the air, for instance when bouncing off of a rumble strip at the apex of a corner. That and I've seen more than a few implode and destroy a gearbox. With a KAAZ they always send the power the same way and when they go bad, they just slip a bit, so you buy new discs and rebuild it. That and it's cheaper.

damnslowtsi
10-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Yea, some folks prefer clutch type even for road racing and I think it is a no braner choice for drag racing. The only thing that still keeps me undesided is how long it will last before it needs a rebuild. I 've heard some quotes of around 100K and others as low as 20-30K miles. I think it depends on the type of use/abuse it gets. It would suck for me to have to tear into the tranny and even deeper every 20-30 thousand miles.

Ok, enough highjacking and back on topic :)

mavisky
10-19-2005, 10:58 PM
For me I'm looking to go to the kaaz since my car only gets 6,000 miles a year at most. If it's your daily the quaife may be a better idea since it'll be quieter and more livable.

bazeng
10-20-2005, 05:14 PM
well i've now done around 300km's on the kaaz
and it seems to be alot better

not as clicky
not as tight

still a little noise, ill update you at 500km's when i put sythetic oil into the box

mavisky
10-20-2005, 06:05 PM
synthetic oil is bad for it

The reading I've been doing suggests redline 80-140 as the best fluid for the kaaz diff as it already has the friction modifier in it and isn't a purely synthetic oil.