"Intercooler" plastic jug removal [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: "Intercooler" plastic jug removal

davejcb
05-07-2001, 08:07 AM
Anybody take this thing out? It was buggin me so I got rid of it last night... I really can't figure out the use of it. Anybody else done this?

NTLaser
05-07-2001, 08:44 AM
I took mine out and stuck the MAS and K&N down there. Helped out a lot. Just cut that hole out a little bigger and run a hose to the stock intake. Well worth the effort unless it rains a lot or you get a lot of snow.
Scott

davejcb
05-07-2001, 09:10 AM
Hey that's a good idea!!! I still have my K&N in the original place... What did you use from the MAS to the intake (for hose or pipe)... Did you use flexible stuff like stock or PCV like on an intercooler piping upgrade?

PlyLaserRS
05-07-2001, 10:41 AM
Yea that is a good idea, But I would stil be worried about it falling of or in the rain getting to wet then stalling or sputtering out

NTLaser
05-07-2001, 08:07 PM
Ok the first thing to do is cut that hole out a lot with the air can removed and its bracket. Go to Lowe's, Home Depot or whatever and get 2 3" PCV 90 deg elbows with the male and female ends so you can hook them together. Also get a rubber 3" 90 deg. elbow with metal clamps on each end. Take the MAS off and drill a couple of hole through the MAS lid and the K&N and screw a couple of screws in there and make sure its tight. Take the splash guard off in front of the passenger front tire. Wrap a couple of layers of electrical tape around the opening of the MAS and run the plug for the mas through the hole. Stick the rubber elbow in the hole and attach the mas to it and the plug it in. Tighten down the mas real tight. Leave the stock intake hose in place. Attach the two PCV elbows together. Take the clamp off the stock intake. Attach the elbows to the rubber elbow and rotate them around to where they line up with the stock intake hose and your all set. The 3" pvc will fit snug over the stock intake. Theres also plenty of room for the shift linkage. My stock intake was always getting caught on the linkage. I felt a major difference through 3500 rpms and up. I guess its where all the extra heat my header was making. It is well worth the time for $15. The power increase was almost as good as when i took my aircan off with the K&N on. Someone needs to make a FAQ for this cause us NT guys don't have enough mods anyway. See ya.
Scott