can you help mer estimate my horse power of the mods I want to do? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: can you help mer estimate my horse power of the mods I want to do?

poeman
05-08-2001, 08:46 PM
I have a 90 Laser 2.0 N/T, with a stock hp of 135. Can anyone give me an idea of what my hp would be after these mods? There is alot of them. Also if you disagree with a mod I want to do, let me know and why, so I can get the most power out of my car, thank you.

-Weapon R Dragon Intake
-Complete 2 1/2" exhaust system w/off-road pipe
-Pacesetter header
-JET reprogrammed ecu
-Unorthodox pulley set
-adj. cam gears(what kind?)
-Venom fuel rail
-AEM fuel filter
-APEXi Super Module thingy
-bigger fuel pump(what kind?)
-fuel injectors(what kind?)
-75 shot of nitrous(what kind?)
-intake manifold(Venom?)

any other suggestions?

poeman
05-08-2001, 08:51 PM
Oh, keep in mind that I will have a japanese imported engine with about 30K miles on it. I will have a new clutch as well.

verserv
05-08-2001, 08:55 PM
intake manifold might not do anything. off road pipe will probably be just an etra cost adj. cam gears i have heard to be a pita. no need for bigger fuel injectors, you will run to rich and create carbon deposits. I didnt even know there was a reprogramed ecu for dsm's. tell me where you saw that i would like to study it
also for a little extra(very little but it could help) do the egr blockoff and maybe coolant bypass on the throttle body and a cold air induction.
intake, exhaust, lightened pulley's and that reprogrammed ecu and of course nitrous will be the most effective i expect. adj. cam gears might help but i hear they often need readjustment

verserv
05-08-2001, 08:56 PM
nitrous with that will easily break the 200 mark. all that might and i mean might get to 180-190? maybe less. its hard to say. no one has dyno'd thaty much on an nt.

NTLaser
05-08-2001, 09:14 PM
I wouldnt get the ecu reprogrammed if your going to use nitrous. From what i've heard you can get the same gains from a reprogrammed ecu as you could advancing the timing and running 93 octane. Thats all it does anyway. I think they are scams anyway. One chip company sends you a boost controller with your chip on a turbocharged car so you will feel a major difference. I think your even supposed to retard the timing if your using nitrous.
Scott

poeman
05-08-2001, 10:02 PM
ok so scratch the manifold, cam gears, injectors, and possibly the ecu? I talked to someone from JET today and they said you send them the old ecu and they will reprogram it. Is it worth $400? I have no idea. I want to keep all the other fuel mods for the nitrous to be efficient.

poeman
05-08-2001, 10:04 PM
what about that APEXi computer thing??

verserv
05-08-2001, 10:06 PM
is that an a/f gauge? it really shouldnt be needed for an nt

poeman
05-08-2001, 10:11 PM
i think so, but i wasn't sure if n/t's could use it.

eagleflyinlow
05-08-2001, 10:34 PM
you've got too many fuel mods man you'll be running rich as hell when your not on the laughing gas. I'd focsu some dough on making sure the engine is in tip top shape before ever giving it a hot of that N2.

I Killed Tupac
05-09-2001, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by poeman
I have a 90 Laser 2.0 N/T, with a stock hp of 135. Can anyone give me an idea of what my hp would be after these mods? There is alot of them. Also if you disagree with a mod I want to do, let me know and why, so I can get the most power out of my car, thank you.

-Weapon R Dragon Intake
-Complete 2 1/2" exhaust system w/off-road pipe
-Pacesetter header
-JET reprogrammed ecu
-Unorthodox pulley set
-adj. cam gears(what kind?)
-Venom fuel rail
-AEM fuel filter
-APEXi Super Module thingy
-bigger fuel pump(what kind?)
-fuel injectors(what kind?)
-75 shot of nitrous(what kind?)
-intake manifold(Venom?)

any other suggestions?

All that and you should get one fast DSM. For a race or two. Hope you have a bike.

poeman
05-12-2001, 02:18 PM
Will a fuel regulator help my car from running rich with lots of fuel mods? I plan on having a high flow fuel filter, rail, and I thought you needed new injectors with nitrous?

verserv
05-12-2001, 02:35 PM
since its an nt its really hard to even it out, you really cant get enough air without extending the compression ratio to like 9.5:1

verserv
05-12-2001, 02:37 PM
I would try that but i dont even have a clue what i could use to get that 9.5:1 ratio

LaFemmeDSM
05-12-2001, 05:37 PM
The Apexi SAFC (it's a fuel controller not just A/F gauge.)would help with running lean or rich. Running too rich zaps power, running too lean and well you know :) I would get an EGT gauge to tune it with however, you can blow up your car with it.
Yes N/T's can use it, both generations. There is a wiring digram included with it for the 4g63T it should be close but might want to check first, 2g N/T's is totally different but is listed on 2gnt.com.

"I would try that but i dont even have a clue what i could use to get that 9.5:1 ratio"

Mill the head, I wouldn't though, your stock compression is good for that much nitrous. Better off with lower compression with any type of forced induction.
My opinion on anything Venom? Not worth it, not even the fuel rail. Venom has sort of made a not so nice name for themselves in the past year as far as the ECU reprogram, anyone can put there foot to the floor, they don't need thier ECU to do it for them at part throtle.
Anyway this is an opinion as stated above.

Fuel pump: Walbro or Nippon Denso

Injectors: Depends on what you have stock, if you go much higher you may need more than an AFC to control the fuel, can you say stand alone fuel managment? Probably not needed.
2g N/T's have 230cc injectors, not sure what you have.
Run spark plugs 1-2 ranges colder than stock, it makes your idle a little rough but cuts down on the chance of detonaton.
A fuel pressure regulator ussually only up's your fuel pressure more, too hard to regulate with it though. (that is where an AFC would come in, you can use it to lean it out or richen it up by a max of 50% if need be)

Lighter underdrive pulleys are good power adders only if you plan to keep all your accessories (air, power steering etc.) gains are minimal if you are only running your alternator. :)

[Edited by LaFemmeDSM on 05-12-2001 at 07:40 PM]

verserv
05-12-2001, 05:41 PM
i meant a 9.5:1 ratio without nirous, just complimentary mods

LaFemmeDSM
05-12-2001, 05:45 PM
Ohh sorry :)