help, drivetrain noise [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: help, drivetrain noise

KyleCim
02-12-2006, 10:32 AM
hey guys, im having a problem with my car and its really starting to get to me. It started about 4 months ago and it was a chu chu chu chu chu sound only under acceleration in 2nd gear. Tehn it worked itsway into 1st and third gear. This was when i had an act 2100 plate with a stock mitsu disc and stock flywheel. Sincethen,i have replace everything short of the tranny. Newparts are- Fidanza fliywheel, act 2600, new axle seals, t-case seals, center axle bearing, front axles, new u joints, carrier bearings, syncroshift. I finished the car yesterdayand i went and drove it i have the same exact noise in the same gears. i just dont see why it would be the trans, the car shifts nicer than any dsm i have ever driven, doesnt grind or feel notchy at all. anyone have any thoughts? If u need any more info just ask. thanks in advance!

Talontsi37
02-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Its possible it is your center diff taking a s*it. it sounds like something is grinding real bad but is only there under hard acceleration. my car did that for about 1/2 a year before it totaly took a crap and would not move without jerking the car real hard. have you drained your trans oil? if there is a bunch of metal shavings this is probably your culprit

KyleCim
02-12-2006, 12:14 PM
well, i do think it may be in the diff, i just got inside, i put the car up on jackstands and ran it in gear, im using a stehoscope and hearing the noise right near the passener wheel out towards the end of the tranny. About the fluid yes i have drained it i just finished doing the clutch etc and i had the tranny out.The thing is, this isnt under hard accel when this happens, its under any acceleration. Thanks

Talontsi37
02-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Well the best thing to do is to make sure it is ok. its relatively easy to pull the center diff out of the trans go on vfaq.com and there is a write up of how to do it since you probably have never seen inside the trans. just make sure you have some silicon to seal it back up.

Turbocharged
02-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Change the transmission fluid and inspect it for metal. When roller bearings fail, they often make a whirling or swishing noise under load. Is the noise louder under heavy acceleration or does it always sound the same regardless of you fast you are accelerating?

KyleCim
02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Change the transmission fluid and inspect it for metal. When roller bearings fail, they often make a whirling or swishing noise under load. Is the noise louder under heavy acceleration or does it always sound the same regardless of you fast you are accelerating?

Its relatively the same noise, it does get slightly louder under hard acceleration.the fluid that is in there has been there for aroun 3 miles if that. I drained the old fluid and i checked it and didnt have and noticeable metal shavings. The tranny has been apart because it had silicon everywhere to seal it up so someone has already had this apart.