viscous coupling elimination.... [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: viscous coupling elimination....

eviltalon91
02-13-2006, 07:35 PM
ok...i understand why I couldn't go with a centerdiff spool...for drivablity reasons on a daily driver....but what about a viscous coupling eliminator.....I mean If i left my stock center diff(open) and eliminated my viscous, wouldn't the open center be enough to eliminate or at least minimize prop(drive)shaft wind up??

eviltalon91
02-14-2006, 01:00 PM
any one?????

tnkopher1
02-14-2006, 01:27 PM
you would not want to run your center diff open. you would no longer have awd. you would spin whichever wheels let go first. it would be the same symptoms as when you blow your viscous coupling.

eviltalon91
02-14-2006, 06:01 PM
isn't the center diff already open, then flows to the viscous unit??....

tnkopher1
02-14-2006, 07:40 PM
viscous center differential. it is a "viscous" type limited slip differential. the reason they blow is when you spin the tires at one end it overloads the differential. then it becomes an open diff. why do you not want a 4 spider gear conversion or true limited slip. i have a switchable tranny and i like the way it drives in 4wd better than awd. you could always just weld that bitch up or trade it plus cash to someone with a blown center diff and then weld that one.

jtmcinder
02-14-2006, 10:04 PM
never mind

eviltalon91
02-15-2006, 12:56 PM
i always thought the stock cnter diff was open, then had viscous unit attached to end that puts power to the rear.....according to pics on vfaq, it is constructed this way, and diagrams of the diff look to me like an open diff, there are no plates or clutches any where in the diff..so theoretically i am already running this way but I think my viscous is bad because it only transfers power sometimes....

tnkopher1
02-15-2006, 02:04 PM
yes it is a viscous diff.the vcu is attached on the outside of the diff. if it had clutches and plates it would be the same type of diff as a kazz or quaife. if you only run your open diff without the viscous coupling. you will not be in awd.(you would actually drop to 1 wheel drive if you still have an open front diff). you would need to weld the center diff, get a 4spider conversion, or get a helical limited slip(clutches and plates) to still have awd.(technically if you weld it, it is 4wd)

eviltalon91
02-15-2006, 06:12 PM
to my knowledge the viscous coupling is only there to eliminate additional driveline shudder, to eliminate it would just make a straight shaft throug tht t-case......this is th esame same function as when the viscous coupling is locked up or activated......i'm not talking about removing the stock diff, just removing the viscous coupling portion that is mated to the back side of the diff...

jtmcinder
02-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Please stop. I beg you.

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177117

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177206

- Jtoby

eviltalon91
02-15-2006, 07:54 PM
i am confused now....the pics in vfaq, for replacing the center diff show the viscous unit sparate from the center diff.....this would make sense to me so that there is not to much chatter, vibration noise, etc.....but if I were to replace th evicous unit with an eliminator, the stock diff would remain and still be active as an open diff, which according to the pictures, there are basically two diffs inline, the center diff(open) to distribute power and the viscous coupling to activate the t-case when there is a severe difference in speed.....thus my confusion.....machv.com says that by eliminating the viscous unit you are locking it in 4x4 mode.......but back to my original question, is the stock diff enough to eliminate propshaft wind up with out the viscous coupling??

thescamp
02-28-2006, 07:20 PM
The center diff is always open, with or without the VC. The VC is inbetween the center diff and the xfer case. Basically this takes power away from the rear wheels, making it a 60/40 front/rear power split. Removing the VC makes it a 50/50 power split (kinda. putting a spool in the center diff or welding it up makes it a true 50/50)

The reason for the VC is so that an inexperianced driver, when mashing thru a corner, doesnt over steer and spin out into oncoming traffic. Instead they understeer and slide off the road.

jtmcinder
02-28-2006, 09:21 PM
If a mod could delete this entire thread, he or she would be doing the readers a huge favor.

Where you guys get your ideas is beyond me (and I'm a psychologist). The addition of a VC causes the torque split to switch from 50/50 to 60/40??? Com'on, really. There has got to be something better to do with your time than type that kind of nonsense.

- Jtoby

nukefission
03-01-2006, 04:31 AM
Yeah, this is getting a little silly.