Look---->Turbo vs. N/T!!! [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Look---->Turbo vs. N/T!!!

EclipseXstacy
05-15-2001, 09:09 AM
Ok, guys..i've been hearing guys with turbo DSM in here telling me to just dump the non turbo and get a turbo instead..well, yes, i had a 90 GS-T and it was very fast..but i sold it because the transmission broke and it cost thousands to get that fixed..and my car aint worth $6000 ...that's why i will never get a turbo DSM again..my question to you is:
Is it possible to add enough aftermarkets to the N/T to get the same horse power as the turbo version.

and also...is it true that the engine in the non turbo DSM and the Neon engines are basically the same..i saw a neon engine in a magazine once and i can't believe how similar it is to the Non Turbo DSM engine..

LaFemmeDSM
05-15-2001, 10:24 AM
"Is it possible to add enough aftermarkets to the N/T to get the same horse power as the turbo version. "

Yes it is, plenty of aftermarket.
All motor would be very difficult but probably could be done, you could also get a turbo kit or run nitrous. There are begining mods that add pretty much, cold air intake, underdrive pulley, exhaust etc. (even the GST rear section helps a lot for how cheap it is.)

"and also...is it true that the engine in the non turbo DSM and the Neon engines are basically the same..i saw a neon engine in a magazine once and i can't believe how similar it is to the Non Turbo DSM engine."

It is a variation of the same engine that is in the Neon (2g N/T only), but don't fret, it's pretty reliable.

DarkOne
05-15-2001, 05:18 PM
It would be more correct to say that the 420A in the neon is a variation of the 420A in the 2GNT, as the motor was designed for the 2GNT application, then reworked for the Neon. (s'why "Neon motor" shots bother me so much.. It's not a neon motor, it's a 2gnt motor.. we had it first)

LaFemmeDSM
05-15-2001, 08:46 PM
Welll sorry! I just had a bad morning..... :)

DarkOne
05-16-2001, 11:05 AM
:-)

LaFemmeDSM
05-16-2001, 04:34 PM
opps there was supposed to be a smile there somewhere :)

valor19
05-17-2001, 10:34 PM
This questions gonna get a lot of different answers. But here's my "opinion"......

Most will, of course, give you the whole, "sell the nonturbo and get a turbo." That's not a bad idea, but not if you have money already invested in a nonturbo. Hell, I got beat by a nonturbo that had a turbo added on. It beat the living snot out of me. I've also seen some fast NOS powered DSMs. In the end, it's your car and you have to do what you want to do (and fits in your budget).

HNDAETR
05-18-2001, 10:18 AM
heres my opinion, yes you can bolt on enouph performance to match a turbo. with a few other engine upgrades, and drive train changes you can actually beat a turbo with your N/A, all engine. If the honda engines can put out over 200 hp all motor with a base hp of 116 hp you know that the 420 could probably put out some major horses, all we need to do is try it. but all that would probably cost you more than a bolt on turbo kit, stage one with the mods you probably already have, will put you in the 13's and still have spent less on your rs/gs than actually buying a turbo model.I think both turbo' and n/a model eclipse is are great cars, in fact for the money I think they are the best you can buy.
no one is better than the other lets just all get together and beat the honda's!!!! they are getting too cocky!