1000 Pound Trailer Hitch Towing with 4g64 Spyder [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: 1000 Pound Trailer Hitch Towing with 4g64 Spyder

mistermike6691
03-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Is it possible to tow a 12" Aluminum Boat with a 500 Pound Trailer with a Eclipse Spyder 4g64 Non Turbo Automatic Tranny without causing any major problems ????

dedlewamp
03-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Is it possible? Probably. Recommended? Probably not.

Please please don't tow something with an Eclipse. I just can't help but laugh when I see a sporty car hauling a trailer. Trailers are made for trucks and SUV's. Now, I know it's not realistic for people to have a truck just to haul a trailer, but your Eclipse isn't made for towing. Your transmission will probably get really hot from the additional load you are hauling, and heat wrecks havoc on transmissions. Not to mention the fact your engine isn't exactly a powerhouse. If you still choose to tow the boat, check the manufacturers maximum load rating on the VIN sticker in the door jam. It should list the maximum recommended weights and stuff.

Do yourself, and the Mitsubishi community a favor and either rent a truck, or find a friend who will lend you theirs.

Burnett03
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Is it possible? Probably. Recommended? Probably not.

Please please don't tow something with an Eclipse. I just can't help but laugh when I see a sporty car hauling a trailer.
Do yourself, and the Mitsubishi community a favor and either rent a truck, or find a friend who will lend you theirs.
who cares what you think.. its his car.. go ahead and tow it but be sure the hitch is correctly hooked up.. i also suggest a small external tranny cooler for the extra load

dedlewamp
03-20-2006, 05:59 PM
who cares what you think.. its his car.. go ahead and tow it but be sure the hitch is correctly hooked up.. i also suggest a small external tranny cooler for the extra load

If you post on a public forum, you are going to get opinions. An opinion is what I gave him, along with the factual information he/she wanted. Are you that defensive that you have to stick up for another person, over the internet?

xfsasx
03-20-2006, 06:01 PM
who cares what you think.. its his car.. go ahead and tow it

he asked if it was a good idea or not and dedlewamp gave his advice. So basically i can say who cares what you think?

MisterMike, I dont suggest it but if you have no choice then you have no choice. Hope you're not going too far

Burnett03
03-20-2006, 06:22 PM
If you post on a public forum, you are going to get opinions. An opinion is what I gave him, along with the factual information he/she wanted. Are you that defensive that you have to stick up for another person, over the internet?
all you had to say was that it wasnt a good idea instead you acted like the dick head that you are and said.. "do the mits. community a favor and don't.. you laugh at people who do, yadda yadda yadda.. a bunch of uneeded bullshit is all that most of you guys on these forums post.

xfsasx
03-20-2006, 06:27 PM
all you had to say was that it wasnt a good idea instead you acted like the dick head that you are and said.. "do the mits. community a favor and don't.. you laugh at people who do, yadda yadda yadda.. a bunch of uneeded bullshit is all that most of you guys on these forums post.

oh must of missed that, but i do agree that it was unnecessary but no need to get upset over it. Come on dont tell me that if you saw a 2g Eclipse with the top down cruising through town with a 12" boat off the back, that you wouldnt at least chuckle or crack a smile?

Turbocharged
03-20-2006, 06:45 PM
At least do a transmission flush before doing this... its going to be pissed at you.

Turbocharged
03-20-2006, 06:47 PM
At least do a transmission flush before doing this... its going to be pissed at you.

How are you planning on mounting the hitch?

Burnett03
03-20-2006, 08:13 PM
oh must of missed that, but i do agree that it was unnecessary but no need to get upset over it. Come on dont tell me that if you saw a 2g Eclipse with the top down cruising through town with a 12" boat off the back, that you wouldnt at least chuckle or crack a smile?
sure i would but only because id wonder how he mounted the hitch

dsmcustoms
03-20-2006, 08:26 PM
I wanna tow my stand up jetski behind my 2g gsx....That would be sweet! Where did you mount the hitch?

blackflame
03-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Can you imagine towing a four wheeler or something on an awd DSM? You pull up to the light and a Vette revs at you. You hit the stutterbox and launch. Now he has to explain to everyone on his forums how he got his ass whooped by a DSM and a Polaris 500 at the same time.

dedlewamp
03-20-2006, 10:01 PM
sure i would but only because id wonder how he mounted
the hitch

With a kit of course! Item 11193

http://www.truckxpressions.com/product.cgi?product=651&user_vehicle=eclipse&x=0&y=0

_DeS_
03-20-2006, 10:05 PM
no helping advice to the thread... but this is funny

7inchexhaust
03-25-2006, 12:00 AM

lol......yup :P

2L Rice Cooker
03-25-2006, 02:26 AM
Can you imagine towing a four wheeler or something on an awd DSM? You pull up to the light and a Vette revs at you. You hit the stutterbox and launch. Now he has to explain to everyone on his forums how he got his ass whooped by a DSM and a Polaris 500 at the same time.

Hope you got that tied down good!

:P :P :P

Thanks now I can rest peacefully.

Miff
03-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Yes you can tow it but your car but the automatic transmission.. this will hurt you the most. With a manual you are able to pick your gears, when you get to a slope you may get into trouble.

crazysweetguy
03-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Is it worth the risk with tearing up your vehicle or reducing the life of the car or its components in order to tow this trailer? Has anybody else done this without any problems?

Miff
03-25-2006, 10:57 AM
A friend of mine uses his Tsi AWD to tow snowmobiles. That's considerably smaller than a boat, but he has no problems. Yes the manual tells you not too, but how many of us are also running stock boost or shift at 5k?

Quick Shot xMLx
03-25-2006, 11:01 AM
If your car was a turbo model I would say go for it since it would produce enough power to pull. But your car being n/t and automatic...I wouldnt risk it

Morpheus
03-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Your car has plenty of power to pull the 1000#. However, it's your trans that will take a beating because it's an auto. Here's what I'd suggest. First would be to get a large auto trans cooler. Mount it and install a temp gauge on the lines so you can monitor temperature. I'd study the effects of using it by itself and in series with the stock one (in the radiator). Use the set-up that gets you the lower temperatures nearest 90c. This in general is considered the ideal temperature for automatics. Too cool isn't good either, but if you are slightly cooler than 90c with the additional cooler then that's good. As you pull the trailer, you'll get the temp back up there. Keep constant speed as much as possible and take your time on getting up to speed. Trying to get to speed fast isn't a good idea because as it shifts gears you'll be harder on the clutch packs due to the load. In those split seconds during shifts, they'll slip more, cause more heat, and wear on the clutch packs more. SO, be easy on the car, take your time. You should be fine.

shadow_FIX
03-25-2006, 01:19 PM
How often will you be doing this? If it's a regular thing, then I would definitely look into a truck. If only a few times, then I would think you'd be ok w/ a tranny cooler. If anything it'll extend the life of your transmission whether you tow the boat a lot or not.

bokubob
03-25-2006, 01:27 PM
I'd also be concerned about the lock up torque converter. Those are made to lock in and out based on the torque needed to accelerate and maintain the speed of the stock car. Tossing a boat into the mix, and you could be locking and unlocking very quickly going down the road. Be prepared to have to shift down and leave it there (and therefor going much slower).

Remember that a big boat is not very areodynamic, so at speeds greater than say 30mph, you're going to have significant drag because of wind resistance and turbulence. I would guess that going above 60 would be dangerous to your tranny because of the drag.

Also, your brakes will be under significantly more load than normal, so a slower speed to start with is a must.

One last warning, is that you have a short wheelbase, so be careful of cross winds, they can send you all over the road if you're going too fast.

For the price of a late 80s Mazda B2600, I'd say using the eclipse isn't worth it.

Miff
03-25-2006, 02:29 PM
When you're going to the lakes as the original poster seems to be doing, a POS truck just isn't as fun as a Spyder ;). I sympathize, I too will be installing a hitch on my GSX and dragging my bike to the lakes.

droptopgst
05-01-2006, 09:51 PM
I just saw this and thought I would put my thoughts in, since I have a hitch on my spyder. I had my 18g at the time with a m/t and was pushing ~250hp/tq. I put a hitch on so I could take my mt. bikes and at the time I had a cbr 900rr. I cant find any pics of it but It looked bad azz, the dsm with a sport bike behind. I towed my cbr from SC to NY and back, and did not have a single problem, still got 24 mpg on the hwy.

I have towed other things before with trucks and suv's, and to tell you the truth, my car pulled it better than the others did. Partly because the others were a/t's or did not have as much power.

All this being said, anyone needing to pull something of reason, I say go for it. Now im not suggesting you go pull a 40' boat or anything, but smaller things like bikes, wheelers, and snowmobiles you should be good to go.

Now If anyone is looking to buy a hitch, in mint cond. with the hardware and directions let me know (takes about 20 min. to install).

Red1991TSI
05-01-2006, 10:40 PM
I tow my 16' Mirage Jet boat (1200+ lbs) to the lake using my 91 5 speed AWD TSI. I've never had any problems getting to or from the lake. Extracting it from the water is a breeze. With 250+HP, Center Force Dual Friction clutch and AWD, it's great to see the look on other people's faces when I pull up and pull away. I've had some great reactions from people when they see me on the way or arrive at the lake.

My two best experiences were when I was living in Denver and raced a guy in an older V-8 truck while towing my boat on 36. I let them say "go" and we both dropped the pedal. I pulled on them so bad they pulled off at the next exit in embarrassment. :cool:

The second was cruising at 90 right beside a full sized truck on I-25 just north of Elephant Butte (truth-or-consequences), NM. His girlfriend in the car was pointing a laughing that I kept right with them. He had moved to the left lane thinking I was going to bog down while going up the hill. Guess he was wrong! :D

Now mind you, I don't normally drive like that in most cases but it's great to see the reaction of people who don't understand what DSM's are capable of. :P

I have over 170k on the odometer and she still runs strong, even after 3 years of boating season.

j.gust25
07-01-2006, 12:41 AM
why would anyone tow a 12 inch boat? can't you just fit it in the trunk?

'=feet
"=inches

kthxbye

(sorry that just annoyed me)

Talon_Fan
09-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I tow my 16' Mirage Jet boat (1200+ lbs) to the lake using my 91 5 speed AWD TSI. I've never had any problems getting to or from the lake. Extracting it from the water is a breeze. With 250+HP, Center Force Dual Friction clutch and AWD, it's great to see the look on other people's faces when I pull up and pull away. I've had some great reactions from people when they see me on the way or arrive at the lake.

My two best experiences were when I was living in Denver and raced a guy in an older V-8 truck while towing my boat on 36. I let them say "go" and we both dropped the pedal. I pulled on them so bad they pulled off at the next exit in embarrassment. :cool:

The second was cruising at 90 right beside a full sized truck on I-25 just north of Elephant Butte (truth-or-consequences), NM. His girlfriend in the car was pointing a laughing that I kept right with them. He had moved to the left lane thinking I was going to bog down while going up the hill. Guess he was wrong! :D

Now mind you, I don't normally drive like that in most cases but it's great to see the reaction of people who don't understand what DSM's are capable of. :P

I have over 170k on the odometer and she still runs strong, even after 3 years of boating season.

lol, were you racing these guys with your trailer hooked up?

FstEclipseGst
09-10-2006, 01:32 PM

DAMN RICERS ARE TAKING THINGS TO A NEW LEVEL!

Waverunner
09-15-2006, 09:43 PM
So what's the final word here?

I have the same question about towing a 700 lb. JetSki to and from a harbor exactly 2 miles from my house (up and down one modest hill.)

U-HAUL sells a hitch for the Eclipse but I wanted to do a little research first. Is there any chance the weight of this Jetski trailer in the water is going to pull my car under or destroy my (manual) transmission? Do I need to replace the struts before I do this?

I know the owner's manual says don't tow with this car, but hell, it probably says not to exceed all posted speed limits too...

Red1991TSI
09-15-2006, 10:29 PM
lol, were you racing these guys with your trailer hooked up?

Yep, hey they picked the race. I just happened to be towing my boat. Do keep in mind my Talon is Turbo and AWD. That certainly helps.

To answer WAVERUNNER, I don't think you'll have any problems towing that distance or up a hill. The manual transmission will handle it. Manuals don't burn up their fluids like automatics do. Just be sure to shift to the proper gear so you don't lug your engine. I would make sure you have good struts just for safety purposes.

Waverunner
09-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Yep, hey they picked the race. I just happened to be towing my boat. Do keep in mind my Talon is Turbo and AWD. That certainly helps.

To answer WAVERUNNER, I don't think you'll have any problems towing that distance or up a hill. The manual transmission will handle it. Manuals don't burn up their fluids like automatics do. Just be sure to shift to the proper gear so you don't lug your engine. I would make sure you have good struts just for safety purposes.

Thanks. It's been a great car and I'd hate to ruin it.

Was down at the docks yesterday evaluating the launch ramp... not too steep but I'll (almost) have to bury the exhaust pipe in the water to get it deep enough to launch... Do you recommend blocking the tires with chops or is the parking brake sufficient? I see a lot of slippery moss...

Red1991TSI
09-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I'd put the emergency brake on and have the brakes applied. If it doesn't move backwards, I'd say keep the E brake on and turn off the car and put in gear(manual) or park (auto). Then just watch and make sure you're car doesn't want to slide in further.

I have no issues with mine using the above method and my boat is by far heavier than a waverunner.

PS - Exhaust pipe in the water isn't a factor. The engine will clear any water in the muffer. Besides, most mufflers have a small hole for drainage anyway.

GSTinCO
09-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I used to tow my jetski with my GST. When I bought it used there was already a hitch so I didn't even think twice about. Plenty of power and the front wheel drive is great for boat ramps.:rudolph:

Waverunner
10-01-2006, 09:30 PM
I used to tow my jetski with my GST. When I bought it used there was already a hitch so I didn't even think twice about. Plenty of power and the front wheel drive is great for boat ramps.:rudolph:

Thanks everybody. See you on the water.