SPEC Stage 3+ users please add $.02 here [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: SPEC Stage 3+ users please add $.02 here

MattO
03-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Iím in the process of looking for a new clutch for a heavily modded 2G with a swapped 1G engine. Iíve used an ACT 2100, ACT 2600, and SBR 4K already. Since the car will be a daily driver, don't want to have to deal with heavy pedal on the 2600 - which is why Iím looking at alternatives. My trans is going to Shepherd for a stage 3 rebuild and Iím looking at going with a SPEC Stage 3+ for the new install.

Iím especially interested in hearing from people who actually have or have used this clutch. Iíd like to hear from users that have drag launched this clutch.

How satisfied/dissatisfied have you been with the clutch? Have you used any other setups for comparison?

Thanks!

i1nk83
03-22-2006, 11:31 PM
i personally have the stage 3 6puck. this clutch grabs like a mofo. Not sure about the 3+ but i know im enjoying this one. Mine took three fast slips on the drag strip with no issues whatsoever. would have done more but the track was closing.i have driven several 2600 cars and i personally dont think they are quite as grabby. i also enjoy the "light" pedal compaired to the 2600. dont know your budget but i got my stage 3 for a grand total of $302 shipped to my door, pm me if you are interested in the site. overall i think its a good choice

shleppy
03-23-2006, 08:59 AM
If you don't mind, what was your experience with the slowboy 4000? Pretty much no one has reported on that clutch yet.

90Tsi AWD
03-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I've had the stage 3 for 2 months now and I love it. Pedal feel is great, not too harsh.

MattO
03-23-2006, 09:57 PM
My experience with the SBR 4K was great. I put alteast 50 6500 RPM drag launches on it at the track and never had the burnt clutch smell, fading, or slipping. Several of the launches were back-to-back. I did pop out one of the springs, but I think this was due to not having the two engine block-to-transmission bushings in place causing a slight mis-alignment between the two. Mark at SBR exchanged the disk at no charge to me. He did say that I was the first person that he has heard of having a spring issue. The clutch grabs well and is easy to drive. The pedal is not heavy like the 2600.

MattO
03-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks i1nk83 and 90Tsi AWD for feed back. Have either of you used any other comparison or is the SPEC your first one?

i1nk83 - PM sent. Thanks.

tdz16
03-24-2006, 09:17 AM
I know its not DSM, but I had a Spec Stage 3 in my turbo v6 camaro and it grabbed like a mofo. That thing wanted to be engaged and when it was, it was not coming loose. I also have a Stage 2 on my mustang (rating changes with car) and its not as grabby as the stage three was because its a street disk i believe. The camaro was a 6 puck. Not sure if this helps but just my experience with the clutch company itself was good, no problems with each in all the time I had em.
~Tom

MattO
03-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the info users. I think I'm going to order the SPEC 3+ and give it a shot. It can't be worse than the 2600 - hopefully!??!

i1nk83 - will you PM me with the place you picked up yours?

Thanks!

Neal
03-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the info users. I think I'm going to order the SPEC 3+ and give it a shot. It can't be worse than the 2600 - hopefully!??!

i1nk83 - will you PM me with the place you picked up yours?

Thanks!

For what its worth i have a spec stage2 in my talon and LOVE it, easy pedal, and from what i understand its the same pressure plate on the stage 3. HOWEVER (also for what its worth) I have a sprung 6puck in another car and hate it. Yes it grabs and im not even remotely worried about any slipage. But the pedal is stiff (hopefully not an issue with spec) and the engagement is brutal at best as the engagement point is very fine combined with ZERO slip. Truthfully while driving its not horrible, but getting going is another story.

I know its not a spec clutch, and hopefully spec does a better job, but its enough to keep me away from a six puck in the future.

shleppy
03-25-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm in the process of tuning for around 500whp, and my sbc dxd feramic clutch managed to only hold 3rd gear for 1 pull. Since it had only 6000 miles on it with 0 launches, it's needless to say that I was very dissapointed. It seemed to be perfect-very streetable clutch with similar feel to the act 2100 even though it had a sprung 6 puck, but I'm now convinced that I need a stronger pressure plate to hold the power. I truly hate the idea of the 2600 pressure plate on my car, but I'm 90% sure that I'm going to upgrade to the horsepowerfreaks bronze clutch, which combines a sprung 6 puck with the 2600 pressure plate. Supposedly I'll hold 700hp, not chatter and is very slippable. I should be doing this in the next few weeks, so I'll report my findings once It's installed and broken in.
edit-the feramic 6 puck disk was completely worn to the rivets after only 6000 miles and the pressure plate was ok. Considering that 5000 of the 6000 miles were spent breaking in the new motor with only an evo3 turbo, I think the disk sucks.

houdini
04-13-2006, 07:55 PM
I love my spec stage III 6 puck on my upgraded tt stealth. Great daily drivability and holds my awd launch no problem(5500-6k rpm launch). Dunno if that helps but there you go. :)

MattO
04-15-2006, 09:30 PM
How much are you slipping it when you launch? I launch mine from 6500 at the track and slip it until the cars is moving pretty good then I release. I definitely don't just dump it off the line. I'm concerned that I may not be slipping it enough. I have the. SPEC stage 3+ sitting on the counter just waiting for the Shep trans to be returned