tranny fluid? what type for new clutch installment [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: tranny fluid? what type for new clutch installment

Nadeem_c7
04-27-2006, 11:08 PM
i just got the car not too long ago, u guys helped me throught a clutch replacemnet(i thank you all), now its time to connect the starter, change the spark plug/wires, engine oil is already in, and i need some tranny fluid, just wondering, what type to use?, there is a number? what?, im only good at ripping cars apart, the techinical terms i odnt understand, so what grade of fluid?
its a non turbo, 92, fwd, engine has 270***

BigBoostDSM
04-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Trans fluid comes in 80/90 and 90/140ish? Not sure on the heavier one. Use the lighter one if the trans shifts nice as is, and if there are any grinds in it use the heavier one.

DO NOT USE dexcron micron, that's A/T fluid.

Dave99gst
04-28-2006, 06:56 AM
you dont have a owners manual ?

Vallary99
04-28-2006, 10:14 AM
For the tranny you use gear oil, not motor oil. Hondas can use motor oil, we cannot. Just FYI.

BigBoostDSM
04-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Hondas can use motor oil, we cannot. Just FYI.

Really? I have never heard that...You learn something new every day.

BTW - Fill the trans through the front filler hole until the fluid is dripping out, then plug it off. There is no dipstick or anything to check the fluid level, so that's how you do it. The trans will need ~3 quarts and the tcase (if you even have one) will need ~.5

Vallary99
04-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Really? I have never heard that...You learn something new every day.

BTW - Fill the trans through the front filler hole until the fluid is dripping out, then plug it off. There is no dipstick or anything to check the fluid level, so that's how you do it. The trans will need ~3 quarts and the tcase (if you even have one) will need ~.5

Yea, they aren't supposed to (i think) but they can use motor oil in theirs. We used to do it when we did tranny swaps and clutch jobs and all. Our cars are much more picky and would probably break if we tried that.

RyanTSi
04-28-2006, 01:36 PM
In my TSi Tranny I have had good experience with using 2 qts of Redline MT-90 and ~1Qt of Redline MTL. MT-90 first, and then MTL until it starts coming back out again.