DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Different tires sizes!!!

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
Here is the thing I'm planing to put wider tires In the back so the combination would be 215-50-17 in the front and 225-45-17 in the back rear tires 6mm smaller in diameter will it damage my Transfer case or not and does any one have different tire sizes in the front and in the back?

#3 ·
>>>>225<<<< 45 17" in the back >>215<< 50 17" in the front rear once are wider I don't care about looks :) handaling is important so wall will be 107 mm for the front and 101mm for the back. Do your friend have AWD?

#4 ·
i wouldnt run two different tire sizes on an awd. i remember reading somewhere that it will screw up your lsd because of the two different speeds that the tires will be running at therefor burning up the center lsd and if you have abs i think it may mess with that since there are speed sensors on all 4 wheels. i would run same size all the way around just to be safe.

#6 ·
I totally agree with VIPER...I will cause the ABS ans LSD to malfunction...Now the question is is it worth it to have your LSD and ABS screw up just so your car can appear more "phat". your call...I wouldn't on an AWD...good luck!

#7 ·
now what if you run 215 40 17 in the front and 225 40 17 in the back?, the only diff would be the width and i don't see how that would screw up the lsd or transfer case or anything for that matter, now if they were diff in the sidewall rating then i can see it, but the same circumference all the way around except for the width then i can't see it unless i'm missing something. plus i think it make more sense to have wider tires in the back because all the weight transfers to the rear on an awd car, granted the front tires would break loose first off a launch but when the front end of the car is almost off the ground to begin with then why not make up for that lost traction in the rear with wider tires. just my 2 cents, i could be wrong, the more opinions the better.

#8 ·
NvTSIawd said:
now what if you run 215 40 17 in the front and 225 40 17 in the back?, the only diff would be the width and i don't see how that would screw up the lsd or transfer case or anything for that matter, now if they were diff in the sidewall rating then i can see it, but the same circumference all the way around except for the width then i can't see it unless i'm missing something.
Do your research! Sounds fine on paper, but you should make sure both tires will have the same overall circumference. They do in theory, by the math...but, sometimes there are small differences...3 or 4mm. That's enough to matter from what I've read so far. I don't have AWD, but all the threads pertaining to this subject have said that even a small difference can make big differences down the road.

#9 ·
NvTSIawd said:
now what if you run 215 40 17 in the front and 225 40 17 in the back?, the only diff would be the width and i don't see how that would screw up the lsd or transfer case or anything for that matter, now if they were diff in the sidewall rating then i can see it, but the same circumference all the way around except for the width then i can't see it unless i'm missing something. plus i think it make more sense to have wider tires in the back because all the weight transfers to the rear on an awd car, granted the front tires would break loose first off a launch but when the front end of the car is almost off the ground to begin with then why not make up for that lost traction in the rear with wider tires. just my 2 cents, i could be wrong, the more opinions the better.
I hate to tell you but your way off!! The sidewall height is dirtectly related to width. Example: the 215/40 has a shorter sidewall than a 225/40 by about 1/2 inch. Do your research!! Tire rack has a calculation chart for you people who don't realize this.

#12 ·
well, if thats the case then what sizes would i have to get if i wanted the same circumference all the way around but wider tires in the back? i have 17" rims. and i already bought two nitto nt450's 215 40 ZR17.

#13 ·
Yes I agree with Viper because I had two different size tires on my Talon, it looked mean as hell but it didnt mess up my car. But I have heard it could. The only thing it did to my car was made it real hard to launch for some reason. I had Yokohamas A520's in front, 225/50ZR16, and Yokohamas Intermidiates in the rear, 245/45ZR16.
Isay do it and see what happens. If anything happens then you have two tires for the next time.

#14 ·
i'm getting my tires from discount tire direct.com and the next widest tires they have for 17's are, 225 45 ZR17, and the tires i already have are 215 40 ZR17's.......should i just get the 215 all the way around?, i'd really like to get wider tires in back without fucking anything up.

#16 ·
From what I understand, going to different widths is just as bad as going to different diameters.

You are in essence changing the torque split between the front and rear, and you are going to be harder on your center diff, than you already are.

Think thats no big deal? I've already toasted a stock diff, on street tires, stock exhaust, turbo and fuel system (that was ~60k on the car too).

If you want wider tires, then go wider all around, or get a fwd then go w/ the different sizes.

#17 ·
I've got 205/55R16 on the front and 225/50R16 on the rear. Please don't ask why. I would not recommend it. The overall diameter is nearly the same (<1mm difference) and that's enough to make the differential chatter when I'm turning high rpms.

BTW, tire sizes are easy. The first number is how many mm wide the tire is, the second number is how high the sidewall is, expressed as a percentage of the width. The third number is obviously how many inches the rim is.

205/55 = 205mm wide / 55% of 205 sidewall (112.75 mm)
225/50 = 225 mm wide / 50% of 225 sidewall (112.5 mm)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.