Another Cyclone Question [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Another Cyclone Question

fatalshock
11-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Okay, I've searched feverishly for an answer, but everyones questions that have been answered don't really help me. It's probably been answered before, but I was wondering how bad running a cyclone intake would be for a non-properly actuated setup. I'm just about to get ready to start tuning and dialing everything in on my project here, and I was wondering how big a deal REALISTICLY running a cyclone intake would be if it was completely not hooked up correctly. I know there are several other methods of actuating the butterflys, but until I get an aftermarket intake, will I be cool running this? What I'm asking is if there is any serious reason NOT to aside from the differences in top end power.

1gcrazy
11-29-2006, 08:26 PM
I would imagine that it would only hurt top end slightly. I'm not 100% familiar with the cyclone but from what i understand it's got a secondary port that opens at high RPM's where it needs the extra air.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

90_talon_matt
11-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Aside from your top end suffering there is no reason not to run this manifold. I can't see why you wouldn't just pick up a second hand 1g manifold and be done with it. I'm still a firm believer that the Cyclone manifold is a waste of time properly actuated or not.

fatalshock
11-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah^ I agree. I just wanna take my first drive in my car before I start taring off my intake manifold. I've driven in both stock cyclone intake equipped 1g's and other wise, and I didn't feel any difference. Just wasn't sure how big a deal the butterfly position would be. Should I just leave it all unconnected like it is now, or should I somehow fix the butterflys in the open or closed position?

T_K
11-29-2006, 11:10 PM
The butterflies are open when the gate thingy is not connected so in that case it should be just like a normal 1g. They close only under vacuum.

fatalshock
11-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Then whay are people always trying to actuate them? If it's like a 1g regularly, and actuated it suffers, than wtf? Anyway, I'm just leaving it the way it is. Thanks guys.