auto to manual [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: auto to manual

96EagleTalon
03-12-2007, 01:53 PM
I am going to be doing an auto to manual swap in my 1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD and i was wondering if anyone know if there is a write up on how to do this. I know theres one for a 1G but i was unable to find one for a 2G.

Also, i wanted to know if you have to change the rear diff or if that was a good idea to but wasn't really necessary.

Thank you with any help on the matter.

4g64fiero
03-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I am going to be doing an auto to manual swap in my 1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD and i was wondering if anyone know if there is a write up on how to do this. I know theres one for a 1G but i was unable to find one for a 2G.

Also, i wanted to know if you have to change the rear diff or if that was a good idea to but wasn't really necessary.

Thank you with any help on the matter.
You definetly need to change the rear diff.

You need everything associated with the manual tranny. That is the manual pedal set, hydrolics for the clutch(master/slave cylinder), flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, stick shift, shift linkages.
You might need the cv axles, I believe ou do actually.

1gawd4g63
03-12-2007, 03:15 PM
The parts list is:

Transmission
Transfer case
Flywheel
Clutch with tob
new clutch fork and pivot ball
Manual starter plate
Axles are the same
Driveshaft yolk is slightly different
clutch/brake pedal assembly
clutch master cylinder
slave cylinder
clutch line, along with a replacement ss line
shifter assembly
shifter cables
rear diff
manual tranny mount

i don't think that i forgot anything here, any other questions feel free to hit me up.

dmc0162
03-12-2007, 04:50 PM
http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152632&highlight=2g+AWD+swap

shortykidd80
03-13-2007, 05:52 PM
need a speedo snesor bracket and re-wire the reverse lights as well

96EagleTalon
03-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the information...

eagleone1980
03-13-2007, 07:37 PM
But ya gotta ask yourself....
Is it really worth it in the end?...:cool:

shortykidd80
03-13-2007, 07:42 PM
costed my friend 1600 in labor alone.....he got a killer deal on a the whole conversion clutch and flywheel as well.....it is very costly

dmc0162
03-13-2007, 10:06 PM
I was GOING to do it, but then said f*** it and started modding it now I love it.

HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
03-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Once you go manual you never go back....Well, unless you have a 3 sec car ;)

eagleone1980
03-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah man just get a manual and call it a day..
Unless you really love that particular car....
Then go for it...:cool:
Just know your wallet will be screaming "No Mas'!" when your done...:D

PRgst
04-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm getting a 97 GSX automatic and want to do the same thing. Here in PR you don't get to see GSX in good conditions. If you see one, the owner is not willing to sell it, if so he would ask you like 8-9K easy. I'm getting this GSX for 4K because it's from a girl that's leaving to Orlando. I think I got a deal. Now I have to save som money to see how much it will cost me to do the auto to manual project. The car is in great shape.

DreamNofR1
04-30-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm getting a 97 GSX automatic and want to do the same thing. Here in PR you don't get to see GSX in good conditions. If you see one, the owner is not willing to sell it, if so he would ask you like 8-9K easy. I'm getting this GSX for 4K because it's from a girl that's leaving to Orlando. I think I got a deal. Now I have to save som money to see how much it will cost me to do the auto to manual project. The car is in great shape.

Thats the exact same thing I went through. I HATE driving an automatic turbo charged car but I looked for 2 solid months and couldn't find a manual anywhere around me. I kept finding GSX's a few states away and the owners still wanted $10,000 for something that had a Big 16G turbo on it and it was tuned, but the engine still had over 100k miles on it. Sorry, but thats not acceptable to me. The more I drive this thing, the more I hate an automatic, so I have been thinking about doing this swap as well. I read some info and it seems pretty damn expensive to me (around $4,000 from what I understand, labor and parts). Thats the only hang up. I would love to sell this car and get a manual, but since I bought it, I have put about $3,000 into it replacing parts and such. Now I feel like I can't get rid of it because of all the time and money I have put in it.

1gawd4g63
04-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Once you go manual you never go back....Well, unless you have a 3 sec car ;)

top fuel cars don't have auto trannies, there is one gear with a progressive clutch and reverse that is it.

PRgst
05-01-2007, 07:40 AM
I think I can do this project for less than $2k. There is a JDM Engines and Transmissions store selling the JDM EVO3 tranny that I know it will work plus other stuff necessary. The guy doing this swap will charge me $250. He's good at what he does, the only thing is that he takes longer than what he's supposed to take. After that project my next goal is not far, I'll try to reach about 350AWHP for a full streetable car with A/C.

1gawd4g63
05-01-2007, 07:49 AM
MAke sure that tranny is compatible with the 2g, i am pretty sure that it isn't because of the motor mount situiation, but it could possibly be.

DSMscreamer
05-01-2007, 12:22 PM
I think I can do this project for less than $2k. There is a JDM Engines and Transmissions store selling the JDM EVO3 tranny that I know it will work plus other stuff necessary. The guy doing this swap will charge me $250. He's good at what he does, the only thing is that he takes longer than what he's supposed to take. After that project my next goal is not far, I'll try to reach about 350AWHP for a full streetable car with A/C.

If you get that EVO3 tranny, you will start to wonder why your center diff keeps breaking. Hmmmm.

PRgst
05-02-2007, 08:10 AM
If you get that EVO3 tranny, you will start to wonder why your center diff keeps breaking. Hmmmm.

wao, please explain why....I'm just curious..thanks in advance

DSMscreamer
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Evo Trannies have a different ring and pinion.

1gawd4g63
05-02-2007, 05:45 PM
the engine mounts are a little different for the 2 cars also.

PRgst
05-03-2007, 01:48 PM
OK, is there a JDM transmision for the 2G GSX??? It'll be hard to find a 2G AWD 5 speed tranny here in PR and I do want to do the conversion any time this year

1gawd4g63
05-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Nope no jdm. The only jdm cars are evo's and galants, which are both different. You need a 2g tranny.

DSMscreamer
05-04-2007, 07:16 AM
OK, is there a JDM transmision for the 2G GSX??? It'll be hard to find a 2G AWD 5 speed tranny here in PR and I do want to do the conversion any time this year

Remember these cars are a Chrysler/Mitsubishi joint venture. Therfore they are domestic product for the most part. Stop looking for JDM content for a domestic vehicle. :wall:

I can get you a nice working example for between $600-$800. Let me know.

PRgst
05-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Remember these cars are a Chrysler/Mitsubishi joint venture. Therfore they are domestic product for the most part. Stop looking for JDM content for a domestic vehicle. :wall:

I can get you a nice working example for between $600-$800. Let me know.

all right, thanks for the help. I'll keep you informed.