Reverse works but not forward [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Reverse works but not forward

sinic
03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Reverse works but not Drive. When put into reverse and Drive the car jerks hard. When in drive the car jerks then when gas is applied the rpms rise a little but doesn't move. Reverse works fine.
When the car idles in park the Check engine light comes on but this may be because I just put the motor together.

1991 Mitsu Eclipse
FWD GST

This is my first automatic DSM and its giveing me so many problems. :wall:

Sorry if this is a repeat thread.

RE's 97 gs-t
03-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Have you checked your fluid level? It could be your TCM. It could also be your valve body or one of the shift solenoids. Have you tried putting the shifter in 1 or 2 and seeing if it will move then?

sinic
03-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Fluid level reads above normal.
I tried L1 and 2 but still no movement.
TCM? How do I check the rest?
Thanks

sinic
03-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Well I said screw the auto stuff and am changing it over. Got the stuff yesterday and I'm almost done. Pedals, transmission, shifter, flywheel and everything else. Thanks for looking.

dmc0162
03-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Have you done any mods to the transmission? Shift kit, etc..? that could have been it, but that's just a guess. But I guess your just swapping, so dont mind this post:D

sinic
03-31-2007, 09:36 PM
no no, keep the the replys coming. I still have the transmission and would like to fix it and sell it.

The transmission had no mods as I can tell.
When it was drained the fluid looked fine and no shavings.
When I took the computer out I did notice that the computer was newer than the car. (1999)

uberchargedDSM
03-31-2007, 11:54 PM
Just got backwards everywhere, problem solved

95GSX6bolt
03-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Just got backwards everywhere, problem solved

+1 Thats what I would do.

dmc0162
04-01-2007, 08:51 AM
no no, keep the the replys coming. I still have the transmission and would like to fix it and sell it.

The transmission had no mods as I can tell.
When it was drained the fluid looked fine and no shavings.
When I took the computer out I did notice that the computer was newer than the car. (1999)

As far as shavings, they wouldnt be in the fluid, because there are magnets on the inside of the fluid pan. I would remove the trans fluid pan and check the magnets for shavings, and inspect the valve body. Also look at your manual valve to make sure it is still connected to the parking pawl.

Did this randomly stop working one day or did u get the car like this?

dmc0162
04-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Actually forget that whole manual valve/valve body inspection... I'm pretty sure you need a TCU from whatever year your car is, that is probably what is doing it. Find one on eBay and switch them over and you may be good to go

sinic
04-03-2007, 09:18 AM
haha I can't believe that might have been all it was. O-well. (the wifes pissed)

The car would jerk really bad when put into gear but it worked for the two days I had it. (I only got to drive it 8 miles before it quit working)

The swap went well though. I'm still waiting on one more part for me to drive it. The line that goes from the Master to the slave. Gotta go junk yard hoppin.

Total cost of swap including transmission:$185 (not including the line, and new cv boot)