Anyone ever use a turboxs MBC? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Anyone ever use a turboxs MBC?

Frisco
10-30-2000, 09:39 PM
I thinking about getting one...it'll only end up costing me about $30. Just wondering what ya'lls experience with them?

frisco

DSMTSI
10-30-2000, 09:57 PM
I just installed one. It works good, so far...

Frisco
10-30-2000, 10:04 PM
Which one did you use? Standard, High Performance or Dual?
I'm looking at the Standard.

frisco

DSMTSI
10-31-2000, 12:08 PM
I am using the standard model.

Turbo Clipse
10-31-2000, 05:54 PM
this is a good MBC to start off with. i had one on my Talon, and it did pretty good. i like the fact that it was small and easy to hide and blue. now i have a XBC manual BC. it is great. i have also had a hallman style which was a bitch to adjust. oh well there you go.

The DSM Shop
11-03-2000, 12:32 AM
the standard one is good if you are running boost levels from about 15 to 20 Psi on modertate turbos. After that the boost spike will hurt you a little bite when tuning. The HP one is the way to go for running anything over 21 psi as it will hold it steady.

ProjectGSX
11-08-2000, 03:39 PM
I started with a Hallman style boost controller. It worked great, quick spool, 2psi spikes. But they look like ass. I swapped it out for a TurboXS Standard MBC. Looks better, same performance. Cheaper though. The TurboXS Standard MBC was, around 70, I paid 90 for the Hallman. Then I switched to the TurboXS High Performance MBC. I wish I had just bought this one to start with. It is more expensive (130$) but WOW. IT ROCKS. It has both a ball and spring style valve and a bleeder valve. Unlike some other MBC's, both valves are adjustable. This lets you keep the ball and spring valve tight for quick spool up, and then open the bleeder valve to stop boost spikes. I do not get any boost spikes AT ALL. I run this MBC with a XS Engineering 16G killer turbo, so between the ball bearing turbo and this MBC, spool-up is just like the old T25.

mospeed
11-08-2000, 05:17 PM
Frisco you know you want my Profec. Man you put it in. Just come by and take it out anyday. :)

turbo=good
11-08-2000, 07:12 PM
Besides the high performance TurboXS, does any other model prevent boost spike. my t25 spikes to 17psi then fall to 15psi.

mospeed
11-08-2000, 07:40 PM
Profec B..... :)

darkknight Z
11-09-2000, 10:34 AM
i have the dual turboxs mbc it works great . i love having it. the switch is great to switch between the two settings. i called turboxs on how to hook it up with retainig the stock bc and the stock guage still working . but over all it was an easy install and it works great.

brotherchris
01-08-2002, 02:18 PM
Does any one know why when you have the turboxs standard adjusted all the way down it's quite but when you open it up 3 turns like the book says it sounds like it's leaking air? Is this normal or do I have a bad hose?

ProjectGSX
01-08-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by brotherchris
Does any one know why when you have the turboxs standard adjusted all the way down it's quite but when you open it up 3 turns like the book says it sounds like it's leaking air? Is this normal or do I have a bad hose?

That is what a bleeder valve does. It leaks air. Therefore less air pressure is getting to the wastegate actuator, which means that more pressure is required to open the wastegate. You get more boost.

All bleeder MBC's do this, and MOST ball and spring MBC's have non-adjustable bleed holes as well.

The TurboXS HPBC has a primary ball and spring valve and a secondary adjustable bleeder valve.

brotherchris
01-08-2002, 02:30 PM
thanks for the help

ProjectGSX
01-08-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by brotherchris
thanks for the help

Sure. If you get bored and want to see for yourself how the standard boost controller works, back the screw all the way out of the top and take it out - you will see it is cone shaped.

Then, remove those black rubber bands from the top of the MBC. I wiggled a small flat head screw driver underneath them and carefully pried them off. With the band out of the way, you can see the hole drilled through the chamber of the MBC.

With the screw all the way in, the cone shaped plug covers that hole up. As you start to back it out, it lets more and more air bleed out because of it's cone shape.

Pretty cool.. in a "why did I take this apart" geeky kinda way.

:P

99mmcgsx
01-08-2002, 02:47 PM
I have the HP one....works great.

J

16g-95GSX
01-08-2002, 11:38 PM
Helping a friend with a 97gsx install his and set it as soon as he gets his TurboXS HP BOV on which I think is coming on this friday. He woosed out and just had a local shop put it on for him.

eagletalonawd
01-09-2002, 12:45 AM
Moved from Gen Tech to Parts Talk.