blew out tire on curb and now car makes a clicking noise [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: blew out tire on curb and now car makes a clicking noise

newlitemotorist
04-14-2007, 12:04 PM
hey guys,

Yesterday I was driving my freshly rebuilt talon.....had everything ready and fixed and was just enjoying the sunny weather before a 1.5 hour trip i was going to take. I was heading to the local performance parts shop and when i pulled in there was a car pulling out that is not give me much room....less then i realized because before i new it i hit the curb of the entrance pretty hard and blew out my tire on the passenger front :wall: . The tires were in bad shape anyways so i wasnt terribly mad....getting them replaced but when i hit the curb it tore the side wall of the tire. I managed to not damage anything else on the car cosmetically even though it is lowered or the rim so i fugured i lucked out atleast that much. I put the donut on which was kinda low but it got me home. As i was driving home i noticed that the car was pulling to the right which is on the side of the tire i hit but I just figured it was the different size of tire that was causing this but then i started hearing a clanking noise comming from that tire. it started getting bad but as i breaked or accellerated it would go away but when i let off the throttle it was very pronounced. I am wondering if i damaged that bearing or a tie-rod. I am not with the car right now but I just wanted to get some suggestions on what to check out so i could go back with a game plan and hopefully fix my problem in short order. What could hitting the curb damage? I hit it hard enough to puncture a tire but it was right on the edge of the end of the curb and the tire is old and dry rotted somewhat. i deffinitly didnt think I hit it hard enough to do any real damage as i have hit large pot holes in other cars way harder that didnt do any structural damage.

Thanks for any help guys....it will be much appriciated.

RE's 97 gs-t
04-14-2007, 12:29 PM
If you hit it hard enough to pop the tire reguardless of being dryrotted, then you most likely bent something. Hopefully you only bent the outer tie-rod and or broke it's balljoint (the clanking sound I am hoping for your sake) But you need to put that thing up in the air and look every thing over. Try moving the suspension thru it's entire range of motion while in the air.

brads2103
04-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi you bent the hub bearing from hitting the curb. And the diffrent sizes in tire which will cause a radial pull from it. I do this from worki ng at a repair and alignment shop. I replace alot of them in the winter from people slidding in ice and hitting curb along with the wheel alot because they bend the sht. out of them too.

bloodpakwolf
04-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Replace that CV Shaft and it wiil take of your problem

RE's 97 gs-t
04-14-2007, 08:54 PM
It is not while he is turning and this is a result of hitting the curb.

newlitemotorist
04-15-2007, 11:46 AM
So i need to replace the bearing??? The reason the tire blew is because...i think...I hit the curb right at the end where there was a nice point that could pucture the tire. The tire was not pinched......you can tell because it looks like someone took their finger, japped the tire and then tore town. I hope its not the cv shaft anyways.

Thanks for the help so far

RE's 97 gs-t
04-15-2007, 03:17 PM
You can guess all day long about what did or did not get damaged but you really should put it in the air and run the suspension thru it's full range of motion. Also grab the wheel and try to move it side to side, up and down, and in and out. If you just said that it was pulling now I would lean towards the doughnut and possibly threw the toe out of wack. But you also said that there is now a clanking noise so I would be looking for bent/broken parts.

newlitemotorist
04-15-2007, 03:27 PM
You can guess all day long about what did or did not get damaged but you really should put it in the air and run the suspension thru it's full range of motion. Also grab the wheel and try to move it side to side, up and down, and in and out. If you just said that it was pulling now I would lean towards the doughnut and possibly threw the toe out of wack. But you also said that there is now a clanking noise so I would be looking for bent/broken parts.

Well I will go ahead and get her propped up tomorrow and see what I find and I will report back with what happenes.

Thanks guys