Car won't start when it's hot [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Car won't start when it's hot

caffeinetripp
05-10-2007, 09:49 PM
"I bought a 93 eclipse for my wife less than a month ago and it runs pretty good but my problem is it wont start after it gets hot . It does crank fine when it's cold . so why won't it crank when it is hot . And it has died goin down the road ( like I shut off the car ) ." -93talondl on DSM1Eights.com

So, since that's the problem, what could it be? He checked the Coolant Temperature Sensor, but that wasn't it. Vacuum leak? Headgasket? Distributor?

LaserSpeed666
05-11-2007, 01:30 AM
Does it catch at all when it's hot? Like starts running for a bit than dies? Or does it die when warm? Sounds like something electrical to me. When the motor warms up the connections/connectors expand and lose signal to each other. I'd replace the CAS (Cam angle Sensor) it's on the left hand side of your valve cover looks like a hockey puke sorta shape. These cars don't have distributors fyi. Start with that! Any CEL's?

91apoceclipse
05-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Could it be vapor lock maybe? Next time it happens, open the gas cap see if a bunch of pressure is released and then the car starts.

I know this sounds stupid, but give it a shot.

Slownis
05-11-2007, 08:19 AM
These cars don't have distributors fyi. Start with that! Any CEL's?

What do you mean these cars 'dont have distributors'? Mine did last time I checked..... Unless I'm crazy or something.... Sure looked like a distributer to me..... They are a little less desireable than some, because it has a weak internal coil, but it is a distributer none-the-less.

Could be a headgasket, or the Mass Air Flow sensor(but I doubt it). Coolant temp sensor would have been the first thing I checked as well... Hmm, I'm stumped.

RiseoftheEclips
05-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Sounds like a head gasket. DO NOT CONTINUE DRIVING THE CAR! You can warp the head and everything in the head, even mess up the bottom end. If it runs hot and stalls that is like a cutoff for something is wrong and your killing the engine. Go to a shop and get a coolant test and see what's up.

blue90eclipse
05-19-2007, 09:35 AM
first off, lets all not jump to conclusions here...

lets figure out some info of what is going on when it happens...

is the car running hot? when it dies does the radio and lights still work?

if its running hot, it might be a water pump or low coolant and just is heating up and siezing up til it cools, i have had this happen many times with my mercury cougar...

if the radio and lights dont work, then it could just be a bum alternator that isnt working when hot...

theres alot more things than to jump to conclusions such as head gaskets... if it was a head gasket, there would be a loss in power or white smoke id think...

but what do i know, im only a michigan certified mechanic....

*Mod edit*
You may be a certified mechanic, but please work on your punctuation and grammar as per rule 7.

-Sean

RiseoftheEclips
05-19-2007, 02:57 PM
If you read his posts correctly he says it cranks while it's cold (alternator and battery have nothing to do w/ if it stalls while overheated lol). Second he states that it does start back up when cold. Okay besides that have you ever driven a car that starts up when cold and completely shuts down when hot, it's like a kill switch, you are damaging the engine when it overheats. This is a prime example of a gasket being blown, or something to do w/ the cooling system (water pump, thermostat, coolant etc..). When you drive overheated cars continously you damage the internals (Head stuff usually go out first, but the bottom end can be damaged to like the pistons).
For sure you being a certified tech, when engines keep overheating things go wrong, you know this. Best thing for him to do is go to a shop to get a coolant test before he f..ks up the rest of the engine.

Sean485
05-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Does it catch at all when it's hot? Like starts running for a bit than dies? Or does it die when warm? Sounds like something electrical to me. When the motor warms up the connections/connectors expand and lose signal to each other. I'd replace the CAS (Cam angle Sensor) it's on the left hand side of your valve cover looks like a hockey puke sorta shape. These cars don't have distributors fyi. Start with that! Any CEL's?
4g63's do not have distributors, as you know, but 1.8's do ;)

rush6432
05-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Could it be vapor lock maybe? Next time it happens, open the gas cap see if a bunch of pressure is released and then the car starts.

I know this sounds stupid, but give it a shot.

LOL thats carb shit son. is this vehicle carbed??? no

pwrdby4g63
05-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Is he talking about when the car (engine) gets hot/over heats or when it is hot outside??? If it is the engine overheating then it might be the head gasket, but if it's from being hot outside then it is most likely to be something electrical. You might want to check your'e main relay.

caffeinetripp
05-23-2007, 07:28 PM
It turns out that the guy had a bad ECU. He took it to a shop. Not sure if he ended up replacing it, but he probably did. So, thanks for all the help everyone.

broke1.8l
07-03-2007, 06:45 PM
These engines are bullet-proof. Mine overheated due to a blown head gasket, and I drove it 'til everything died. Sounded like I had four monkies with wrenches banging instead of four cylinders.
The car finally died. Starter was heat-soaked, would not turn over at all. When I put water in it started steaming and bubbling immediately from the heat. Seein' as how it died on my street we got it to the driveway and I started the engine rebuild on it that I have wanted to do since I bought it.
Head...needed a bit taken off, valves, seals and quides were all fine. Block...fine. All the bearings were fine (still gonna replace them though). Pistons and conn-rods? Fine. See where I am going with this? I hated all four cylinders until I bought this car. Now I hate all four cylinders EXCEPT the 4G37.
That being said here were my symptoms before the engine finally told me to *%&! off. If I drove around for a while, the temp would creep up and I would get some white smoke (steam) from the exhaust. When It would get hot and I shut it down for a couple of minutes, the starter struggled to turn the engine over. I always had to make sure the cooling system was full as the engine was always thirsty for more. Oh...and If I started it in the driveway, the car would idle for hours fine, no temp rise at all, as the cylinders did not build up enough pressure or heat that the blown head gasket would have an effect.
Take your oil cap off when the engine is cold one day. Look for any white mily substance on the bottom of the cap or around the valves. This is a sign of water mixed with oil.
And if you are still reading this, thank you for reading my long winded reply. Chris.

RiseoftheEclips
07-10-2007, 06:54 PM
These engines are bullet-proof. Mine overheated due to a blown head gasket, and I drove it 'til everything died. Sounded like I had four monkies with wrenches banging instead of four cylinders.
The car finally died. Starter was heat-soaked, would not turn over at all. When I put water in it started steaming and bubbling immediately from the heat. Seein' as how it died on my street we got it to the driveway and I started the engine rebuild on it that I have wanted to do since I bought it.

Lol, dude dont pour cold water into a overheated hot engine, you can crack the block which will f..k you up. Next time you know, save some money k.

orzyszpon
07-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Gentlemen. You must zero in on the part that gets worse as the car gets warmer. If you had listened to Click and Clack, you would have remembered their immortal answer: the part that fails when hot (while running) is the coil. Have yours tested and act accordingly.

speed_demon
08-11-2007, 12:38 AM
I might be kind of late on this one, but i had this same problem a while back. A week to be exact.

My car would run perfectly fine on the streets until it got all nice and warm. After running it for a while, uh oh, i find myself with the car shut off and the radio still working. After letting the engine cool off for a few seconds, it would start back up until it happened again. Then i find out i had a bad distributor, which is common in these cars from what i had heard. The next payday i find myself at Autozone spending a pretty penny on a new distributor. Problem solved.:banana: