Adjustable shift? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Adjustable shift?

sleeperzzzz
05-26-2007, 10:42 PM
I have been hearing a lot about installing a resistor in the blue wire of the TCU to firm up shifting, I was curious, what if one put in a variable resistor say 2 to 4 ohms or whatever to adjust shifting on the fly? I realize this sounds completely insane but it was just a thought.... anyone want to weigh in on this crazy idea? :banana:

Quarthead
06-12-2007, 07:23 PM
IPT has a product called the A/T Boost Controller that does what you’re suggesting.

“Vary shift firmness with the turn of a dial! The A/T Boost Controller works by intercepting the signal between the TCU and transmission, thereby giving the driver the ability to select the shift quality that is appropriate for the given driving conditions.”

Sound familiar? :)

91Bluebird
06-12-2007, 08:29 PM
I have been hearing a lot about installing a resistor in the blue wire of the TCU to firm up shifting, I was curious, what if one put in a variable resistor say 2 to 4 ohms or whatever to adjust shifting on the fly? I realize this sounds completely insane but it was just a thought.... anyone want to weigh in on this crazy idea? :banana:

There is s a mod like what you're describing and you wire to the power/econo switch so you can go from shifting with full line pressure back to normal.

sleeperzzzz
06-13-2007, 11:00 AM
I just read on the IPT website they have this kit available and it does just that. It connects inline to the "blue" wire and gives you different shift abilities from soft to firm or such.

Quarthead
06-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Sleeperzzzz wake up Bro…

I posted the IPT information for you already…. Look up at post #2

sleeperzzzz
06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Man I am so out of it. Thanks amigo.... I will make sure I am awake before posting.

:wall: :poke: :chair:

youdontknow37
06-21-2007, 09:00 PM
how would more resistance in the circuit alter shifts?

dmc0162
06-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Ok first of all, all the resistor does it trick the TCU into thinking that the transmission is still connected to it's pressure control wire. If you simply snip the blue wire in half, your transmission no longer has a pressure control ( the overall goal of the resistor mod). This means raping ape shifts all day long... (which to say the lest takes a piss on your transmission). However, by cutting the wire in half, the TCU thinks there is a malfunction, and puts the car in limp/safe mode, which sticks the car in 3rd gear. SO, to fix this, you wire the resistor onto the TCU wire and ground it. This tricks the TCU into thinking that there is still a signal from the transmission. By changing the resistor you will accomplish nothing, seeing as how the wire is no longer even connected to the transmission let alone its pressure control.

BY THE WAY... I tried this whole grounding the resistor thing one day... This shifts are scary... That's my warning... Wear a diaper or something, because you'll shit yourself.

sleeperzzzz
06-22-2007, 02:07 AM
LMFAO Duly noted. Thanks for the heads up! :evillaugh: