Replaced Kickdown Servo Switch but... [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Replaced Kickdown Servo Switch but...

andrewdees
05-29-2007, 07:33 PM
A few weeks ago I pulled the TCU codes. It was a 22 which is the kickdown servo switch. I ordered a new one from Mitsubishi for $40 and installed it this afternoon. I went out and drove the car and its still stuck in third gear. Do I have to reset the TCU or anything after replacing the faulty part? Thanks

-Drew

dmc0162
05-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Reset it, and then try driving it, and if it is still in 3rd gear, try and see if the code comes back.

andrewdees
06-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I left the battery cable unplugged for a few minutes. I dont know if this is the way to reset it or not but anyways I drove it and it is still in 3rd. I checked the TCU codes and there is nothing. Im stumped....:mad:

-Drew

lilsizfly
06-05-2007, 09:03 PM
im having the same problem, did you install the shift kit or did this just suddenley happen to you?

BISHILVR
06-06-2007, 12:26 AM
I had the same code and in most cases its a bogus code thrown when the tcu is on its last operating cycle. Do you guys get a flash from the tcu terminal that is used to output codes or is it completely dead? If its dead then the tcu is gone and your car will be stuck in 3rd gear.

lilsizfly
06-06-2007, 02:27 PM
i just get the constant steady back and forth pulse from the multimeter

BISHILVR
06-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Ok, so it has no codes then.

lilsizfly
06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
correct

andrewdees
06-07-2007, 09:33 PM
After replacing the Kickdown Servo Switch, I checked the TCU codes again. I was getting 0V with the key "on". I figured this meant there were no codes. From what you guys are saying, If there are no codes, then the voltage should jump up and down over and over. If it is showing a constant 0V, does that mean that maybe the TCU is shot???? I just put in a new ECU since the motor was rebuilt and I was getting no spark. Also While the motor was out I changed all 4 mounts, but yet sometimes going from Park to Drive, it is diffucult to move the shifter and once it does click into gear, the whole car jerks real hard. Maybe its time for a new tranny. Thanks!

Oh yeah also I do not have a shift kit installed. 100% factory transmission

-Drew

BISHILVR
06-08-2007, 12:50 AM
0 Volts from the tcu code pin means a dead tcu. Like I was saying, a code for a bad kickdown servo switch usually means that the tcu will be gone in the next few drives.

andrewdees
06-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Allright well Ill go searching the junk yards for a new TCU. Where is the TCU on a FWD 1G turbo? Also do I have to get the new TCU off of a turbo model or can I use the TCU from the 2.0 NT? thanks

-Drew

BISHILVR
06-10-2007, 09:36 PM
The Tcu has to be from the same exact car that you are replacing it on, they made about 20 different models of the stupid thing. It is located in front of the ecu towards the firewall and it lays flat and is covered with a piece of carpet on each side.