Car Wont Idle, Dies. [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Car Wont Idle, Dies.

xxShaneOmac
06-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Well Last night my mom left my lights on all night,
Woke up car dead, wont even turn over just Click.
Ok I get a jump, And the car Starts and runs the idle drops the engine rocks back and forth and dies,
I cant keep it alive for more then like 30 seconds, I will floor the gas I will feather it, I wont touch it. Nothing.

Fuel presure is pretty nomral. I have Gas Everything is off when I try.

I have a Check Engine light that comes on, But my DsmLink wont connect though my labtop to tell me what it is.

Any suggestions,
New bat? Fuel backing up?
I dont know .
help if you can thanks.

P.O.S-tsi
06-22-2007, 10:30 PM
I would check the battery/alternator

xxShaneOmac
06-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Hmm
Im sorry how would i go about checking thoes,?
replace?

P.O.S-tsi
06-22-2007, 10:43 PM
or bring them to the auto parts store and have them checked out

90redgst
06-23-2007, 01:34 AM
I believe if you put a working battery in the car, Start it up and disconnect the positive battery cable while the car is on, if the alternator is good the car will remain running. If the car dies, the alternator is the problemo.
You can also test at local parts store but the above way is much easier.

xxShaneOmac
06-23-2007, 05:59 AM
Well I might have to take to the store,
Car wont start this morning.

Looking to be that alt.

xxShaneOmac
06-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Ok, This morning got in the car, Would just crank and crank. Wouldnt start.
So I get a Jump and it still wont start, I have the other car gas it and my car starts, but is real ruff. And my car dies as soon as i let off the gas from the 2nd car.

So I go and buy a new battery. Car Starts with 95 Eprom DSMLink ECU. But idle surges to a point where it chokes and dies down low in the rpm range.

I change to the stock ecu, Wont even Start now.

Where to next.

95_eclipse_gs-t
06-27-2007, 03:11 PM
you might need to change your cam angle sensor mine did the same thiNG.

pats95gst
06-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Stu, I doubt its his CAS. Not with the lights left on over night. You get a jump and the car dies? Sounds like the alternator may have went out too, because if your battery just died then once you get a jump the alternator should charge the battery up.

Try jumping it off, leave both cars on and dont disconnect the jumper cables for like 5 minutes. Then pull them off after about 5 mins. If the car stays on then everything is okay, if it dies then its probably the alternator.

Your best bet is to just take it to your local Auto Zone/Advance Auto/Napa something like that, and they will test your whole charging system for free. Sounds like an alternator though, unless you just have a dead cell in the battery where it wont hold a charge.

Red1991TSI
06-27-2007, 04:09 PM
The alternator is the only thing that has ever left me stranded with a non-running car.

Go spend $30 for a new battery at Wallyworld. Put it in the car. Drive the car up to the auto parts store (call ahead to verify they test electrical systems free). Have them test. It will either test good or bad. They have been know to be intermittantly bad.

Check your fusible link. If it's bad, the alt won't recharge the battery.

Reason for the new battery. 1. It eliminates that being the problem for just a few $$. 2. If it is the alternator and your battery is so-so or iffy, then you'll be buying/replacing the alt again in short order.

Once you have a good battery and good alt, they should stay good for awhile. If the alt is bad, go buy the Galant VR4 90amp alternator. Direct drop in, more amps, less likely to die from additional load (like a stereo with amp). Be sure to upgrade your fusible link to 100amp fuse instead of the 80amp.

Hope that helped.

Red

redtalon5speed
08-31-2007, 11:16 PM
I believe if you put a working battery in the car, Start it up and disconnect the positive battery cable while the car is on, if the alternator is good the car will remain running. If the car dies, the alternator is the problem.
You can also test at local parts store but the above way is much easier.

I do NOT recommend doing this at all. On the older model vehicles, that have no ECU you can do this with only a small risk of burning up a few wires. On a modern day vehicle, I have seen cases where the whole system/wiring harness got fried from someone taking the positive cable off with the vehicle running. :wall:

gsxeclipse97
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
30 bucks will get you a lawn mower battery. I was just there the other day buying one they are about 60 to get one that is equivlant to the ones that the car came with. Also check you ISC mine for some reason likes to jump up and then I have to lower it every now and then.