Installing tranny [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Installing tranny

midnightride
10-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Ok I have been struggling mating the tranny back up to the block. They are both out of the car. Motor assembled and on the hoist. the torque converter is bolted up to the flexplate (4bolts) and the TC is in the tranny housing and on the shaft. We put the TC in the tranny on the shaft and pushed it back, then moved the motor to the tranny. I can get the top bolt and the side bolt in, but on the one side where the starter is, that side for some reason does not want to get together. I have tried loosing at bolt, keep them a bit tight, tightening them all thinking it should pull them together, C clamp, Ratchet tie down. All no luck. Its just the one side that will not come together.

What am I doing wrong? Suggestions?

Would it be easier if I tightened down the bolts I can, then drop the block and tranny in. Tighten down the engine and then from the side of the car push on tranny, with a jack underneath the tranny?

I spend about 4-8 hours just trying to get them together. Its a pain in the A**

DSMscreamer
10-06-2007, 12:14 PM
The converter is probably not seated fully. Should go on easy as cake. Do you have the converter bushing in the crank?

midnightride
10-06-2007, 01:07 PM
I thought it go in easy as well.

well if I got the 4 flexplate bolts in, wouldn't that mean the TC bushing is in the crank?

What we did was put the TC in the tranny so it was in place. Pushed it all the way back. The moved the motor over to the tranny. Held it there till we could get the 4 bolt in the TC.

I can crank the motor by hand and the TC will move.

Does that help, answer you question?

DSMscreamer
10-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Are you using both flexplate spacers? When the converter is fully seated it should almost be 1 inch deep from the lip of the bell housing. The crank bushing sits in the middle of the crank and the nose of the converter slides into it. If it's a bit rusty it makes it difficult for the converter to slide in. The question is if you have the trans mated to the bolt and tighten it, can you still spin the motor freely? Are both dowels in? You have to be careful trying to force the trans and engine together by just tightening bolts. You can damage the front pump.

midnightride
10-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Here is pic, you are saying we should be able to push the TC back further?

I'm going to remove the 4 bolts that hold the TC to the flexplate, slide everthing off and put the TC back on the shaft on the tranny. Then push it back so it sits 1" back from the fron of tranny ( is that what you are saying).

Here are some pics.