Manual shifter for the auto trans [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Manual shifter for the auto trans

1GawdJunkie
11-30-2007, 10:48 AM
I want to first start by thanking Joe, seeing his dedication to putting together an automatic shift box has inspired me to move my ideas from paper to reality. So this is mine, I tried to incorporate some safety measure as it is very difficult to shift from 4th to 1st with my box. The top switch was to switch between the TCU and the box, however the TCU does not seem to like this so I may eliminate it. The problem is that once you take over the TCU goes into safty mode and stays in third until the car was turned off and on again. I used quick connects inside the cab to be able to easily disconnect the box and hook it up back to stock.

With all four gear switches down this allows the user to be in second gear. Mainly for staging and getting through the pits. When the 1st switch is moved to the up position the LED above it lights up and we are in first. I can say the shifts are violent with maybe a 100 to (200 at most rpm delay)between the shift. At which point the 2nd switch is moved to the up position. We now have switch one and two up, the first led turns off and the second lights up, indicating second gear.

When two is topped out I flip up 3rd . Now I have the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd switches in the up postiions, the first two led have turned off and the third is lit up. This is where I made my discovery, That crappy shift lag that most of us 1G guys complain about between 2 & 3, well itís not there. This leads me to believe it is an electronic issue in the TCU and not mechanical, or in the trans. And again, another violent shift between 2 & 3. Anyway 3rd to 4th is the same and I am extremely happy.

A special thanks goes out to my buddy Mike W. who also has 1G auto that has always tried to talk me out of a manual swap. I would also like to thank Mike (Qwklil4) who was also a strong advocate of the auto trans. I cannot tell you how happy I am with this trans now.

At this time I would like to request 2 local volunteers near buffalo grove IL. NW chicago burbs, with 1G awd with UN-modded trans as near stock as possible who are experiencing this 2-3 flare. I would like to test this on your vehicle to see if it eliminates it, please pm me if your are intersted.

(GSX95)
11-30-2007, 10:59 AM
That looks awesome and I'd love to test that out, to bad i have a 2g stick. Post a video of it running if you can, I'd like to see how that shifter box works.

1GawdJunkie
11-30-2007, 11:52 AM
I hope someone local has a camera and wants to ride shotgun. It's FN cool, I took my buddy for a spin, he has a built trans with shift box, he said it shifted just as hard with his box set to 4.

shott17
11-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Im still glad to see you guys pulling out the stops and doing stuff like this. I have to say I am not bias' toward either transmission. I do enjoy my manual for the track, but I have owned turbo awd a/t's. And it was a great dd and my stupid little 14b etc upgrades made it pretty stout. I wish I would have taken the initative to research and make something like this. I may have kept my dd and put a 35r on that :). Good work keep it up. And be ready to Market one to me when I buy an a/t to play with ;).

1990 Dsm Gsx
11-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Very Good Work. It's prettty sweet how it all turned out.

Good Luck in the Future with everything and i'll ask a couple of my buddies if they're interested if you ever put these up on the Market.

:tree: from me to you!

DSMscreamer
11-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Good job! My only mod to my trans is an extra Solonoid in between the solonoid plug on the trans to intercept the signal and give me full line pressure. I have zero shift lag and still use the stock shifter. My only concern on the shift boxes is the ability to accidentally shift into first an any speed. Is this the case with your box?

twack
12-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Or what happens when your in 4th and you got to hammer the brakes for something

dsm4g63t_chris
12-01-2007, 09:54 AM

I would imagine you can come to a complete stop in 4th... then just downshift to the gear you want you could probably take off in 4th, I wouldnt recomend it... lol

1GawdJunkie
12-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Good job! My only mod to my trans is an extra Solonoid in between the solonoid plug on the trans to intercept the signal and give me full line pressure. I have zero shift lag and still use the stock shifter. My only concern on the shift boxes is the ability to accidentally shift into first an any speed. Is this the case with your box?

The sequence for first is to have the 1st switch up and the other three down.

When the second is raised (now the first switch is up and the second) your in second. Of course if you pull down the second your back in first.

Raising the 3rd (now having the first 3 switches up) your in third. If in this state you accidentally bring down the second switch your in fourth gear. If with the first three switches up you brought down the first it would go into
2nd gear. if with the first three switches up you accidentally bring down 1st and 2nd switch your back in second gear.
The only way to get back into one would be to lower 3 & 2.

When the 4 switch is engaged the first three are in active. However all must be left in the up position to sequentially down shift.

Hope this helps.

1GawdJunkie
12-02-2007, 09:40 AM

dsm4g63t Chris is absolutely right. In fourth I am able to come to a complete stop without any issues. At a complete stop I the slap switches 2,3,4 all down at the same time and take off in first again.
Leaving in second well it's kind of a dog, but very good in bad weather conditions, as I experienced yesterday afternoon here in Chicago.
As for leaving a stop in third, well anyone who has thrown a TCU code and had the trans stuck in safety knows this is a bitch, I do not recommend it.
Finally 4th, all I can say is good luck getting anywhere in forth, your better off pushing it:D

scapaldo
12-02-2007, 09:42 AM
pffft.. I went 11.0 in third gear only. :D

All kidding aside, good job on this. It's nice to see people building stuff for these cars still.

1GawdJunkie
12-02-2007, 02:17 PM
A good questions was brought up that I would like to address.

Q: What if the cigarette lighter looses power or the box shuts off?

A: The box will engage third gear automatically

reddsmhatch
12-02-2007, 02:45 PM
good work man, sounds awesome