420a quad throttle bodies [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: 420a quad throttle bodies

daniel_dsm
12-24-2007, 12:40 AM
I am looking for a dual or quad throttle body kit for the 420a engine. I have been searching for quite some time with little results; the best I can find is universal 4cyl kits. Can anyone help?

2geclipselove
12-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Why would you do this? Just bore the stocker out to 55mm and be done with it.

Spleen
12-24-2007, 04:53 AM
Why would you do this? Just bore the stocker out to 55mm and be done with it.

What he said^.

cs82685
12-24-2007, 07:28 AM
There is no kit. It has been done to a few neons, but it has yet to be done to the eclipse. Search on neons.org for more info

Boost92AWD
12-24-2007, 08:02 AM
There is no kit. It has been done to a few neons, but it has yet to be done to the eclipse. Search on neons.org for more info

Do you mean individual throttle bodies?

turbo monk3y
12-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Do you mean individual throttle bodies?
I think thats what he was referring to. I have seen pictures on the net of someone with a Dodge Avenger with ITBs. I'm not sure if a company makes them or if he fabricated them up himself.. I should really save these things that I see on the net LOL:wall:

jazzybeats
12-24-2007, 06:59 PM
I know (two) Honda boys that use the ITB's from honda bikes, and they seem to work great. The only problem is here in Colorado the weather changes often and they are very sensitive to temp change. They have to tune often but they love em. LOUD AS HELL. ...which on a honda sucks. Dunno about a dsm...

B1itzeclips
12-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Wouldn't be worth the time or money. Let alone the minimal gains you might see..

daniel_dsm
12-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Well if anyone hears of a kit please contact me at daniel_clement01@hotmail.com. As far as the benifits, I plan on keep the car N/A. N/A rally cars have used quad throttle body set ups for quite some time; throttle response and pre-cam power is improved due to the increased airspeed from what i understand. Before someone comments, I personally consider it a greater achievement to produce significant horsepower gains from a N/A car than just strapping a turbo to it and hoping it holds together. If I wanted a turbo car I would have bought a gst or gsx.

Boost92AWD
12-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Well if anyone hears of a kit please contact me at daniel_clement01@hotmail.com. As far as the benifits, I plan on keep the car N/A. N/A rally cars have used quad throttle body set ups for quite some time; throttle response and pre-cam power is improved due to the increased airspeed from what i understand. Before someone comments, I personally consider it a greater achievement to produce significant horsepower gains from a N/A car than just strapping a turbo to it and hoping it holds together. If I wanted a turbo car I would have bought a gst or gsx.

I understand where your coming from on this. But unless moneys really not an option it really dosent pay to do this, to see 20-40 horsepower. Not to mention its probally not going to be cheap to do a ITB setup. Also seeing that its over $2000 for a kit for a honda. The money to power gaining really isnt worth it. But its your car man, if you like to just piss money away thats fine with me. I'm just saying it could be invested alot more wisely.

As for a kit, I would google it. Maybe even talk to some Honda guys and see how they are doing it and possiblely doing a DIY on your car.

jeepman1998
12-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Here is a bad example on a honda.
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2098522&page=2

cs82685
12-26-2007, 05:18 PM

There are some interesting upcoming one off intake setups for the 420a which should hopefully prove to be useful and make some good power when n/a or boosted and may give you a more realistic option than the ITB's, (posted links below) Search for the avenger itb's that someone mentioned above though, because they also use the 420a.

Q45 on OBX intake manifold (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/420a-bolt-tech/272462-q45-obx-manifold-420a.html)

Aluminum Intake Manifold (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/420a-bolt-tech/273942-so-i-finally-finished-my-first-420a-intake-manifold.html)

jeepman1998
12-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Easy to make get yourself a 420a flange out of aluminum, have runners welded on at the lenght you wanted then get a set of 1998 Suzuki GSXR 750 throttle bodies. Get a piece of aluminum bar stock and have it machined or cut holes by hand to match ports. You could do it with a hole saw. Then have someone weld it.

50.00 throttle bodies ebay
100.00 head flange
20.00 tubing
100.00 having throttle body flange machined
20.00 misc linkage

having a bad ass indepent throttle body setup tuned for your motor

Priceless.....

Sean485
12-26-2007, 08:12 PM
What are you intending to use to tune? ITB's can be a HUGE pita to tune and require constant attention from weather changes etc.

daniel_dsm
12-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I know aftermarket Engine Management is required. I have been considering a Haltech Engine Management System. However, it will not necessarily be an everyday driver anyway. Firstly, I have to find an itb kit. I would build something my self but I am not exactly sure on what size runners and what tb's; I was attempting to find someone or some company who had already done this before to a similar motor. The problem is too big of a tb will reduce my bottom end (the same as a very large carb on a motor that can't benefit from it). Too small of a tb and I wouldn’t get as much performance as I possible could.

fatalshock
12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Good luck, Money Bags.

99gst_racer
12-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Your cheapest bet would be to utilize the ITB set-up from a Hyabusa. They are cheapish and not too difficult to find.

Jake Hanhardt's got a set on his 4G and he loves them.

Die-Civic-Die
12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
I'd love to see ITB's pulled off in a DSM (n/t 4G63 or 420a).
Not for the horsepower gains, but from the fabrication side of things

Spleen
12-29-2007, 05:01 AM
It would be cool to see....almost completely pointless...but cool.

99gst_racer
12-29-2007, 09:06 AM
I'd love to see ITB's pulled off in a DSM (n/t 4G63 or 420a).
Not for the horsepower gains, but from the fabrication side of things
Like I said above, Jake H did this a couple years ago.

Not the best picture of the IM, but it's the best I could find:
http://jhracing.net/images/Money_Engine_2_.JPG

It would be cool to see....almost completely pointless...but cool.
This mod is far from pointless.

Part throttle response is much better with ITB's as apposed to one large TB. This is a big plus to any 40r+ sized car that still gets driven on the street. It also decreases plenum turbulence.

jeepman1998
12-29-2007, 11:14 AM
After seeing how it could work nice on a turbo engine, I really am going to look into building one for the hell of it.

I_Drive_DSM
12-29-2007, 05:02 PM
After seeing how it could work nice on a turbo engine, I really am going to look into building one for the hell of it.

I'd like to see it too, especially with a DSM. This setup is pretty popular on another high output dual cam 4 cylinder engine - the 4A-GE. In both 16 valve twin tops and 20 valve silver tops.

4A-GE 20 valve silver top
http://www.ae92gts.com/images/4a-ge20v.jpg

4A-GE 16 valve head
http://www.billzilla.org/smallport4ag3.jpg

I think for most Toyota RWD guys this is a pretty hot mod.

fullmoon
01-03-2008, 12:41 PM
There was a guy who did a SC mod to a Miata then he did the ITB set up and said the ITB was better.

I have so many links to shops till I'd be here till hell froze over trying to find the links that do that kind of work, one company that comes to mind is in Florida.

I'll do what I can to slide a few your way over the next few days.

Also this quote " Easy to make get yourself a 420a flange out of aluminum, have runners welded on at the lenght you wanted then get a set of 1998 Suzuki GSXR 750 throttle bodies. Get a piece of aluminum bar stock and have it machined or cut holes by hand to match ports. You could do it with a hole saw. Then have someone weld it.

50.00 throttle bodies ebay
100.00 head flange
20.00 tubing
100.00 having throttle body flange machined
20.00 misc linkage

having a bad ass indepent throttle body setup tuned for your motor

Priceless....."

Pay this guy no mind he's on the bottle :mad: They use long runners for better top end and shorter for better bottom end.

Everything has to match you just can't do anything and everything you want and it works.

But aside from those issues they work great if you go to You Tube search you'll hear some screemers for sure and those guys can point you in the right direction.

Also the guys down in the outback have been doing it for years look for tunners in that part of the world they are the "True ITB Pros"

I may go the ITB route as well I gotta check with some undergrounders for some Kalifornia legal issues before I do. :wall:

jeepman1998
01-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Don't worry this guy is not on the bottle, I know alot about manifold design and it does depend on where you want to make your power band on runner lenght. It is that easy to make a manifold, I couldn't just give sizes and legnths due to the fact it should be tuned to the car.

Don't be hating, just because you can't fabricate.