Radio Volume Control [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Radio Volume Control

me73
04-06-2008, 08:29 AM
The Infinity stereo in my 95 GSX has a mind of it's own when adjusting the volume. If I turn the knob clockwise, sometimes the volume will drop, sometimes it will go up. Likewise turning the knob counterclockwise will sometime raise the volume, and sometimes lower it. Has anyone has this too and figured out a way to fix it besides replacement of the heat unit?

Red1991TSI
04-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Sometimes the contacts on the Rheostat become dirty. If you disassemble the unit until you can get to the volume knob, then use zero residue electronics cleaner (most are) and spray the contacts best you can. Sometimes moving the knob back and forth while spraying will help clean them. Reassemble, let air dry (or you can use a hairdryer) and then plug back in and test your work.

Let us know how it turns out. No pun intended.:o

me73
04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I took the radio apart as far as I could and sprayed down the potentiometer. I wasn't sure if it would work, the pot looks pretty well sealed. But it seems to be behaving now. Hopefully it's permanent.

97talonblack
04-07-2008, 01:19 AM
I had that happen in my girlfriend's 97 bonneville, but it working right on her stearing wheel. But on a side note, that thing was the biggest P.O.S ever, gas mileage was terrible, it used a half tank on a 35 mile trip one time. But as of fixing it idk, try cleaning it a bit more.

SlipperyPickle
04-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me with my stock unit. I just ended up replacing it and called it a day. Mitsubishi Electronics FTL.

me73
10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
The cleaning didn't work. It's still misbehaving.