Benefits of 3 or 5 angle valve jobs? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Benefits of 3 or 5 angle valve jobs?

Seanaynay25
06-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Tried lookin it up but no luck, anyone want to shoot me some information? I understand it helps the valves seat nicer. I plan on building a mild 6bolt next summer, so thinking about motor work ideas.

Red1991TSI
06-24-2008, 11:48 PM
From everything I've read, a 5 angle valve job doesn't do anything for our cars. I've heard things actually perform better with the basic 3 angle. Proper lapping of the valves should always be done to improve the seating/sealing of the valves. Any good machine shop should know that.

Seanaynay25
06-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Alrighty, that's all I need to know hah. Thanks. That machine work pretty pricey?

Red1991TSI
06-24-2008, 11:58 PM
I know a local guy on our DSM board who works for Mitsu. If doing a mild build basically all you need is a bore (if you're going over std), hone, deck the block and head for trueness, valve job if doing new valves. That's about all the machine work that needs to be done. There could be other considerations such as valve guides if you want them replaced or they're out of spec.

DSM Loki
06-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Local place here does a hot tank, deck, install new valve guide seals, 3 angle valve job, etc for 120, so I wouldn't expect it to be much more anywhere else.

If that's too much, just do it yourself, it's stupidly easy.

i need a dsm
06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
What is easy, a valve job or replacing the seals cause replacing the seals I can do.

But how would I do a valve job if I can do it myself?

Seanaynay25
06-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm guessing he's talking about replacing seals.
You wouldn't be able to do the 3-5 angle valve job unless you had the appropriate machine.

JuanG
06-25-2008, 02:18 PM
A 5 angle valve job wouldn't be efficient on a daily driver. If you do plan on getting a valve job, then stick with a 3 angle.

TEC
06-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Three angle valve jobs are fine normally for DSM's. If you can get a five angle cheap then there is nothing wrong with that either. There is also a process that will cut multi-angles in as well which would also work fine. The whole point of angle is to allow the air flow over the head of the valve and seat to not be obscured. The bad thing is that after a few thousand miles the angles will probably be gone anyway from hitting the seat so many times.

JuanG
06-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Three angle valve jobs are fine normally for DSM's. If you can get a five angle cheap then there is nothing wrong with that either. There is also a process that will cut multi-angles in as well which would also work fine. The whole point of angle is to allow the air flow over the head of the valve and seat to not be obscured. The bad thing is that after a few thousand miles the angles will probably be gone anyway from hitting the seat so many times.

Which was my point behind the 5 angle job. Preferably better if done on a track car.

mjarrell20
06-26-2008, 05:24 PM
What are you looking to get out of your car? Head work is almost pointless on our cars, well not pointless just doesn't benefit much.

DSM Loki
06-28-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm guessing he's talking about replacing seals.
You wouldn't be able to do the 3-5 angle valve job unless you had the appropriate machine.

I was talking about a 3 angle valve job...

MarsaGSX
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I was talking about a 3 angle valve job...

Can anyone tell me what is 3 angle or 5 angle job..damn I know just lapping valves or put in new bigger seats for bigger valves..
Iam European..:o

BTW Iam lapping my valves now..and hell I got just 1mm seal seat:dunno:
its Hundaj accent 1.8l head..its basically 1G 6Bolt head..my head was totaled..went to junkyard...get for freeee:D

THX

Got Insulin?
03-09-2009, 02:37 AM
What are you looking to get out of your car? Head work is almost pointless on our cars, well not pointless just doesn't benefit much.

Oh really?

kennyjr904
03-09-2009, 02:57 AM

:blowingup:

Ken81590
03-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Alrighty, that's all I need to know hah. Thanks. That machine work pretty pricey?

Anyone with ten fingers and ten toes could figure out valve lapping. Find a store that sells lapping compound and the suction cup you need for the valves. Basically you take the valves out, put some compound on the seat, stick your little suction stick to the valve, slide the valve in till it touches the seat, then act like you're trying to start a fire with two sticks :tree:

Ken81590
03-09-2009, 04:52 AM

FAIL :tat:

And someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't our heads come factory with a 3-angle?

fst_4g63t
03-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Technically DSM's come with a factory 5 angle if you actually look. I used top work in a cylinder head shop, you can learn quite a bit there. I totally agree with the fact that head work really does not help. For example my last car had 1mm oversized vales and a radius cut valves, it also had bronze guides. Well with all this and cleaning the factory imperfections in the casting of the head, there was vey little improvement. just my 2 cents

Darren