What happened! - Car sounds BAD! Doesn't like to go high RPM [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: What happened! - Car sounds BAD! Doesn't like to go high RPM

Ubish92AWD
07-17-2001, 03:28 PM
Okay here's what happened.

I was out driving around, couldn't find anyone to race so stupid me decided to just go tearing down my neighborhood.

I take off from a stop, hit second gear, wind up to 7k rpm, and then i hear what sounded like a gear grinding, but I was still in gear. So I slowed down and now when I rev it sounds/feels like something is rubbing bad. At idle it sounds okay, but when i rev up to like 3-4k it sounds like it does sometimes in the morning where its this loud grumble. Once I hit 5k it really makes a weird noise like i can feel a vibration in the car and you can feel it from the gas pedal too. I dont think its the fans, and I took off the timing belt cover ( i think) the grey piece to the right of the engine, to see if something was broken in there cause it sounds like its coming from that side but everything looked fine. Another way to describe the feeling is that it hesitates going into higher rpms, almost like when the AC is on, you can feel that extra strain. But its not lag. And it still has power, if I ignore the sound I can still push the car to go but i'm afraid something will happen worse. I also noticed when driving at low rpms now... that even when i keep the gas steady it jerks every now and then. I tried changing the sparks, still the same. You can hear the engine putt a little when you hold the gas down at any rpm while in neutral. Not sure what to do now, gonna have a friend mechanic look at it tommorow. Any idea where to start? Thanks!

Taboo
07-17-2001, 08:28 PM
Timing belt skipped. Do not drive the car. You end up with bent valves if the timing belt breaks (and that would be very expensive). Have it towed to the shop...

Ubish92AWD
07-19-2001, 12:47 AM
Well I had a friend look at the car and we checked the timing gears, all lined up ok. So its not that. We removed the timing cover and the pulleys seem to be tight and not wobbling. So its not that... Pulled of the valve cover... lifters and everything visually looked okay. Sounds like its something near the timing belts though towards the bottom right side (facing the car). Sunday gonna get deeper into it and see what we can find. All plugs are giving spark when removed one by one. Plenty of oil in the engine.... hmmmm strange..... any other ideas?

Viprklr
07-19-2001, 01:06 AM
You still have your balance shaft belt?

Ubish92AWD
07-19-2001, 08:48 AM
which belt would that be? I'm not very smart when it comes to engines.

Viprklr
07-19-2001, 05:18 PM
The little belt that goes behind the timing belt on the crank sprocket. It goes between the crank spocket and the balance shaft sprocket.

Ubish92AWD
07-19-2001, 06:16 PM
Should I check to see if its broken or what?

Boost Fed
07-19-2001, 06:25 PM
Yeah make sure it is still there. If it isn't it broke off and you are lucky to still have your timing belt. (and your valves too.)

Viprklr
07-19-2001, 06:42 PM
Yeah. What Boost Fed said.

Fester
07-19-2001, 07:29 PM
hey keep this goin. ive had kinda the same problem and have been stumped for awhile. I am about to take the balance shafts out and see if thats the problem.

Boost Fed
07-19-2001, 07:45 PM
One morning I started my talon and I heard a "clunk" I thought it was my girlfriend being clumsy and bumping things but when I reved the motor it made a terrible rubbing/grinding/not good noise. Turns out the drive pulley that was attached to my crank had sheared and wasn't turning anymore. So check your belts and make sure that they are all "in order". (and moving) Also.. I guess it may be the tensioner or something making all that racket. Might want to take a look at the timing belt VFAQ to get an idea of what things are supposed to look like down there. Good luck tho... its cramped as a mofo.

Ubish92AWD
07-25-2001, 01:20 AM
Well i guess something did break inside the timing area.. i'll have to get back to ya on the specific belt but i guess one of the pulleys was messed up inside so i'm replacing a bunch of things It broke and was rattling around and hitting the timing cover.

This isn't neccesarily all for the original problem, but what my mechanic friend recommended I fix.

Replace all dry belts ( p/s, a/c, alt)
Replace balancer belt
Replace Timing Belt
Replace Tensioner Pulley
Replace Idler Pulley
Water Pump
K&n Air Filter ( What the hell why not!)

This isn't a shop either, its a friend of mine so I think he's telling me the right stuff. I had the timing done a while back but the shop was run by idiots and didnt do it right and didn't ask about water pump either(partly my ignorance). My car has 136k miles on it now. And a factory new tranny from mitsu was put in at 120k. Should run like a dream when i get it back. Going to put the K&N, remove the aircan and get a boost controller and install Joe P. MBC. Can't wait!! I Will give you guys better details of the actual problem when i talk to my friend again.

On a sidenote, if you need parts, call around, get prices, then go to Kragen and they will beat it by 5%. I went in there with a printout i made in an Excel spreadsheet, and he matched all of autozones prices then beat em by 5% without even asking any questions. Now thats customer service! - Jason

Ubish92AWD
07-30-2001, 07:38 PM
It was the Balancer Shaft Belt that broke and was flapping around in the timing cover. I think it broke the cover too. But its not worth 85 bucks to replace. Hope this helps, i'm picking up my car tonight. I'll let you know if everything's cool. Peace

Ubish92AWD
07-31-2001, 12:16 AM
Well Great... I got the car back, but its still loud as all hell under 3k rpm, and rattles at 5k+. I dont get it. As soon as you hit 3k rpm, it goes quiet. Then it goes to 5k rpm + then it makes a different sound like somethig hitting that metal piece of engine in front. Then the idle is pretty erradic. And even scarier, when driving, say 45 mph, or any speed really, if i push in the clutch, the rpms go up and down constantly from 1100-1500. We did raise the timing a little, but it still fluctuates badly like it can't decide what to do.

Next idea is to check the cams? or lifters/rockers see if something is in there making all that noise. Its just a loud lawn mower sound as some have described. The car does have its power back, but it resists once you get up into 5k+ RPMS, like it is going up a hill.. just real slow, but has power in the other ranges. Any help would be appreciated please so I dont buy anything else I dont need. Do you think maybe the sputtering is caused by clogged fuel injection? I burned all the gas that was in there ( i went to chevron before i had it fixed, and it putts around now) I usually get Unocal76 92 octane gas. Thanks!

Ubish92AWD
08-01-2001, 01:32 PM
Here is a video of my engine noise and trouble with idleing. Hopefully this will help someone diagnose this problem.

http://www.clearimagephotography.com/jason/Ubish92AWD.rm

[Edited by Ubish92AWD on 08-08-2001 at 09:02 PM]

Jubei
08-01-2001, 03:39 PM
Best way to find out if something is wrong with the block is to do a compression check.

Ubish92AWD
08-08-2001, 07:03 PM
Problem Fixed.

Was the timing auto tensioner. Also replaced tensioner and idler pullies.

Also did a compression test, 150psi all the way across :)

Was a good day in DSM land. Jason