East Coast Road trip @ Tail of the Dragon [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: East Coast Road trip @ Tail of the Dragon

Boostjunki84
10-24-2008, 07:43 PM
EastCoast Road trip @ Tail of the Dragon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When April 17- 19th
Where NC / TN State Line
Tail of the dragon - Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC
I am staying at Fontana Village where I have stayed the last 4 years I have gone .

This Thread is advance Notice to when it will be so we may set the Itin later after some feedback .

Here are other local places to stay .
Welcome!
http://dragonsrestcabins.com/
Fontana Village Resort. A Great Smoky Mountain Destination!
http://www.microtelrobbinsville.com/

The way I figure it will go for right now is arive friday afternoon / night ,
Ride the dragon and the skyway on saturday and saturday night ( for those who are crazy enough ),

and head back home sunday evening .
I will do alot of reserch as far as mapping , food , fun stuff to do as I get some free time !

Origionally posted by 1bad420a on tuners.

Johnnie929
10-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Sounds like a plan! Count me in.

lazylaser
10-24-2008, 10:19 PM
I'll have to see if anyone else local would want to meet up with me to head down.

I got to see pictures and hear stories from the 350z guys that went down for a huge Z meet there, the tail' looked incredible to drive.

Definitely something I want to cross off my list of things to do.

DWs97GST
10-25-2008, 11:36 PM
I would love to go if I could find time to get my car up and going.

Boostjunki84
10-27-2008, 11:06 PM
I would love to go if I could find time to get my car up and going.

Well, you've got about 6 months; hope you can get it up and running.

Thanks for the feedback you guys. As more information becomes available, i'll be sure to post.

speed_demon
01-07-2009, 06:51 AM
This sounds like fun, but staying overnight would be expensive. Driving home and then back would be kinda pointless since it is just gonna waste gas.

Boostjunki84
01-16-2009, 03:53 AM
I don't live far from the Dragon, and since I know you personally, I could let you crash at my place.;)

speed_demon
03-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I hopefully should be able to go that weekend. I will let you know ahead sometime within the next 2 weeks for sure.

lazylaser
03-10-2009, 10:30 PM
April 17- 19th
Trying to keep that date in mind.

speed_demon
03-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Just something for you guys to keep in mind. NC loves to place state troopers in unmarked Chargers. They have normal NC tags on too so they blend in quite easily. Anyone coming through NC should be really careful around the Dodge Chargers and Chevy Tahoes, although the Tahoes are normally marked.

Otherwise, cant wait to meet you guys there. Thanks Adam for the invite to stay.

gSx-LeX
03-11-2009, 10:14 PM
This sounds so awesome! I've been wanting to plan something like this on Skyline dr. (Shenandoah National Park).

K_Mans_TSI
03-11-2009, 10:17 PM
April 17- 19th
Trying to keep that date in mind.

Might make it down.

lazylaser
03-12-2009, 06:02 AM
Might make it down.

I'm thinking about it,
Your car going to be ok for a big trip? I just did a lot so mine so she's good to go for spring.

K_Mans_TSI
03-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I decided today I'm going to most likely go. I'm sourcing a trailer for the Talon not so much that I don't trust it, but 10hrs in it is gonna make me deaf.

I'm talking to either my Dad or Jim about using their truck and grabbin Jeff's trailer from 1st Try.

Is this for sure a go? I'm going to put in for that Friday.

lazylaser
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
I decided today I'm going to most likely go. I'm sourcing a trailer for the Talon not so much that I don't trust it, but 10hrs in it is gonna make me deaf.

I'm talking to either my Dad or Jim about using their truck and grabbin Jeff's trailer from 1st Try.

Is this for sure a go? I'm going to put in for that Friday.

I'm not quite 100% but pretty sure... like 92.3% sure, esp if you're going Kurt.

How do you want to do this if you're trailering the talon down? :dunno: do I drive too following the truck and trailer down?
Do you want to throw a spare everything... I think I'll just call you.

Anyone else going?

K_Mans_TSI
03-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Well that's up to you, I think i'm going to have a full cab but your car should have no problems making it down, can always drive mine if we have to throw yours on it for some reason.

lazylaser
03-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Total Estimated Time: 9 hours 56 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 583.72 miles
Total Estimated Fuel Cost: $63.85 Fuel Cost one way.
Money might become a real issue for me.

K_Mans_TSI
03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Draft the trailer.

speed_demon
03-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I will be going since I live nearby. Adam (boostjunki84) has yet to see this so I will text him today to see what is going on with the trip.

K_Mans_TSI
03-12-2009, 10:25 PM
My buddy Joe is going to try and get the day off, he has a truck and trailer so we'll be good assuming he goes. I plan on going anyway even if the car doesn't make it.

lazylaser
03-13-2009, 02:25 PM
My brother thinks he might go too so we're going to have to flip a coin to see if we take his mr2 or my dsm, we can't afford to take both cars.

And from what I've seen the rates for staying in a cabin are dirt cheap...

Who Farted
03-14-2009, 07:51 AM
This sounds like a great time. I do beleive my son and I will make it. For those of you that dont know the Dragon. you're either the dragon slayer or slayed by the Dragon. People die here all the time. I can assure you of the ride of your life depending on your ride and the size of your wevos. You must allways look out for motorcycle riders with a death wish. let me know were most of you will be staying and I'll make a reservation.

lazylaser
03-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Now I'm 99.8% sure I'm going. I also talked to another buddy of mine today, Kevin, and he's in. He'll either be taking his 3052 powered 2g gsx on tein s.s. coilovers or his 08 Sti.

I'm thinking we're going to stay at one of the cabins recommended in this thread, but I'll update this when I know for sure.
Where are you other guys planning on staying?

Who Farted
03-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey coach and any one else I dont live to far from the Dragon here in clinton. there is a great campground on the river I beleive in townsend Tn. It as built as a biker type campground and is a great place to stay and party. there is room for people with trailer Queens Ha Ha and like I said it is right on the river. April is generally pretty nice here. If there are enuf people interested I could try and set it up. I have access to plenty of fire wood. For those of you that dont know of the Dragon I garenty the ride of your life. this strtch of road has so many turns it will blow your mind. I also have a Nikon digital camera that takes great still shots. Picture opertunitys will be awsome. Moving shots will be even better I have 2 digital recorders that can be setup on the cars to blow everyone else's mind. These digital recorders could be set up on some bad ass ride's like K's Talon. If someone has a digital projector I could set up a sceen in the campgroud and we could watch the days rides next to the camp fire with a cold beer. If anyone is interested let's get some numbers together and I'll get us a reservation. people can also tube on the river. This could save a lot of agrivation for those that need to trailer it wouls save alot of cash for some plus it's way more fun than staying in motel. For those of you with a car that is set up for turns the swing factor will go through the roof. The digital helmet cams that I have can be set up so easy and can be moved around the car to get all angles hell you can put it on your hat and film exactly what you see and hear. If you fart in the seat the camers will pick it up. Let me know who wants to party at the river. This campgroud I'm talking about was built for all the Bikers that come here and risk their lives on a weekly basis.

K_Mans_TSI
03-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I woulnd't call my car a "trailer queen" you try riding in it for 10 hours with no radio, fixed back seat, no sound deadening, and a 4" no muffler exhaust.

Who Farted
03-14-2009, 07:31 PM
She sounds pretty sweet to me

Who Farted
03-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Having a trailer can be a pain in the ass there are a lot of bikers here in the spring and parking at the motels can be a bitch

K_Mans_TSI
03-14-2009, 08:03 PM
We are staying in a trailer friendly area.

lazylaser
03-14-2009, 10:35 PM
W.F. the cameras sound awesome. I would love to document my trip as much as possible, as the "dragon" is something I've been looking forward to since I got my 1st car.

speed_demon
03-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Same here, and I live so close to it and I have yet to go there since I got my license 2 years ago. Definitely bringing the Slowfire along for the trip.

Kurt, just bring the ipod and thats all you need for radio. :)

K_Mans_TSI
03-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Same here, and I live so close to it and I have yet to go there since I got my license 2 years ago. Definitely bringing the Slowfire along for the trip.

Kurt, just bring the ipod and thats all you need for radio. :)

I tried an mp3 player for the shootout trip last year, the problem is the exhaust resonates in the cabin at ear level, during cruising speeds, and it's a low low bass note. I couldn't hear the mp3 player so I gave up.

Who Farted
03-15-2009, 09:25 AM
You guys will love these cameras. they are motocom helmet cams that can be placed werever you want. the camera is about the size of a lipstick tube. we use them for wheelin in the mountains. the are incredible. They even have a built in mp3 that connects to little speakers that can go in your helmet. Rock and ride. pop in a SD card and hook up to 12 volts and your ready to go. With two of them I can put one on one car and the other on another car. they can be downloaded onto the computer and edited to switch back and forth in order to make a killer show. you can also hook the camera to your hat and get a the drivers view. or hook up a battery pack and walk around and film everyone. If video can be downloaded to the site it will make everyone wish they were there.

Boostjunki84
03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey guys. I've been trying to get in touch with the OP on tuners to see what his plan was. I have yet to see a reply and that was almost a week ago. The last the OP posted was that he was in a accident and his DSM was totaled. This thread kind of died on other forums as there were no updates.

How commited are you guys to these dates? I can work on reorganizing everything and trying to get more people to come, but I would need a little more time to get things figured out. I would need to move the date foward a little.

Please let me say that this was not origionally organized by me. I was just reposting on here for the OP. I hope this does not inconvience anyone. If you would still like to go i'm sure you'll have a great time and it is worth the trip even if only a few people go.

Please let me know what you guys are planning. I wish the OP would respond, so I could figure out what his plan is; if I get any word, i'll be sure to post up here.

speed_demon
03-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey, if the App Performance day works out, then I am sure that several people would love to go and get a pull or tune. A fishing trip at Fontana would be nice if time permits.

Boostjunki84
03-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey, if the App Performance day works out, then I am sure that several people would love to go and get a pull or tune. A fishing trip at Fontana would be nice if time permits.

I'm thinking that's what we could do. Just move this up and put it with the Mountain Meet which is already for sure a go. I'll post it up...

Boostjunki84
03-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Here's the link. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2097275#post2097275

K_Mans_TSI
03-20-2009, 09:33 AM
I am committed to these dates.

Boostjunki84
03-21-2009, 12:00 AM
I am committed to these dates.

That's cool. It's still a few weeks away. If i'm lucky I might be able to get some time off that weekend or switch a day and come hang out with you guys on Sat. or Sun.

In the meantime, if I hear back from the OP on tuners, i'll let you guys know.

lazylaser
03-21-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm still planning on the original dates, I think the cameras are going to be an awesome touch.
K man were you able to get a trailer?

lazylaser
04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Alight, the dates go changed up an Kman and I so I doubt we are still going to attend.

This Dsm meet kind of dissolved before our eyes, too bad to because I got my suspension in anticipation of this trip.

Looks like there is a new trip in MAY
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211638&highlight=tail+dragon

K_Mans_TSI and I are backing out of this April trip.

Who Farted
04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Well this just blows I got the new clutch in the car the cameras ready and now it's a no go? What am I going to do with all this beer? Do you guys no the shit I went through with the warden to get away for the week end. I almost had the key to the ball and chain. If you guys get a chance to come to tennessee there are alot more roads than just the Dragon check out hwy 116. And if anyone has a 4 wheeler you have not rode until you've been to windrock. (windrockatv.com) 72,000 acres of 4 wheeler and offroad bliss. Think I'll jump on the wheeler on ride to the top of the hill and dispence of some of this Beer Later

Boostjunki84
04-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Again guys I am very sorry that things fell through with this one. Another member was actually planning it and he just up and vanished. I've PM'ed him with no response.

I just want to personally invite you guys to come to the DSM/Mitsu Meet in May. This meet has been put together by myself and another individual and is not associated with the person who planned the other Meet. This Meet will be happening. I hope you guys can make it.

Our Meet is on the official Tail of the Dragon calander:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/calendar.html

Here's a link to the Meet in May:

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211638