blue smoke after long idle period [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: blue smoke after long idle period

dixie500mhz
07-23-2001, 08:15 AM
Guys I have a 1990 1G FWD with a 16G turbo from RRE that is only five months old (pretty sure turbo is still good). My compression is great on all four cylinders..#2 is worst at 158. If I idle at a light for five minutes and then pull away I leave a huge cloud of blue james bond smoke. This only started to happen last week. The engine doesn't smoke at all during hard acceleration or normal driving. This only happens when I've been idling at a light for a long time. I had the turbo oil drain pipe off last week and blew through it and its not blocked. Any suggestions as to what could cause this ammount of smoke only from an idle? Please help fellow DSM'r in need. Anybody else had the same problem?

cdstalon
07-23-2001, 03:57 PM
I'm having the same problem with a 1991 1g, but my problems come and go. Most of the time it does occur after a long idle. A friend of mine said the piston rings in our cars only seal well under load which explains the smoke at idle yet not at WOT. But the mechanic that works on the car says that bad piston rings it would smoke all the time. So, he suggested the valve seals were bad..... so hopefully that helps; it hasn't helped me

Eclipseboy
07-24-2001, 02:28 AM
The mechanic was right, it is the valve seals.

CDW91VR488LSC
07-24-2001, 06:58 AM
I had that same problem. I had the head rebuilt and it was the Valve Seals. No more burning oil.

Viprklr
07-24-2001, 11:24 PM
It wood b da valve seals :D

bknygsx
07-25-2001, 12:13 AM
yep it's the valve seals my 91 gsx does the same crap i called jeff hill at turbo trix and he said the same thing,so i took the head from a 91 talon 5spd which has bigger cams than the a/t that i have and am now shopping for a machine shop to rebuild it.

dixie500mhz
07-25-2001, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll virtually have a new car by the time I'm done changing all the stuff on my list :)

BoostLE
12-10-2001, 09:36 PM
hey guys,

I started noticing that when the car is cold(sitting for more than 8 or so hours) she puffs blue smoke. If I rev it, there's more and more smoke. Once she is warmed up, there is no smoke to be found.

After long sits are red lights there is no smoke. After shutting her off to buy gas there is no smoke. Under hard/light acceleration there is no smoke.

But after sitting at work all day or overnight she smokes.

Could this be a bad oil seal on the turbo? Clogged oil return line?

I have a catch can for the passenger side line from the valve cover. Also the line from the charcoal canister that used to run to the intake pipe is not connected anywhere.

TIA

Viprklr
12-12-2001, 03:10 PM
Sounds like bad valve seals too. Anytime the car sits for an extended period of time and blows blue smoke on initial start-up that's a good indication of valve seals.

BoostLE
12-13-2001, 11:37 AM
first, thanks for the help!

This morning after the car was sitting all night I fired it up and immediately camped out the rear of the car. What I found is pretty strange to me:
1) at first there is no smoke at all
2) 2 minutes or so later a little white condensation begins to steam out...normal morning stuff
3) about a minute later i start smelling oil and can see traces of oil smoke floating away, this continues for about 1 minute.
4) oil smoke stops and normal condensation continues then stops when the car is warm.

why would it not smoke initally, then smoke, then stop? or am i looking too hard?

tia

Viprklr
12-13-2001, 05:28 PM
Doesn't sound like valve seals anymore.
Have you checked the play in the turbo? You might have a small leak that burns off within the first minute or so of startup.
Valve seals should burn the oil instantly.

jap drifter
12-13-2001, 09:20 PM
whats up everyone. im new to the forum from nj. i dont have a TEL but im in the market for a 1gen awd. i am a converted honda fan. i figured i would give my .02 on the smoke...yeah its the valve seals. i have a 93 caravan as a daily and it smokes like a mofo when heated up. a suggestion is to use motor "honey" or other smoke prohibiters. it will still smoke but take longer to heat up. im not sure how good this thick oil is for engine but if you dont have a few hundred to send out the head then this is the route. supposedly the valvle seals sink. my caravan ("stealth van") has 166xxx and i know feeling of crankin out huge clouds after sittin at a long light

Nick 92 TSi AWD
12-15-2001, 01:46 AM
No don't use thicker oil. That will choke and seize your turbo.
Check the vfaq on replace your valve stem seals without pulling the head. It's not that hard. Well of course that depends on your mechanical ability.
I think that clutch installs are "no big deal", so ymmv