TurboXS High Performance Manual Boost Controller [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: TurboXS High Performance Manual Boost Controller

ProjectGSX
11-09-2000, 05:14 PM
This is my third MBC. I started with a Hallman MBC (90$, from Buschur) which got the job done. I was pushing very little air on a basically stock system. It spooled quickly and spiked about 2psi before leveling off.

However, it was UGLY. It looked like something from Home Depot. So, I replaced it with a TurboXS Standard MBC (70$, Modacar) which was much more attractive. Same performance, looked better, and it was cheaper.

These days, I now push a LOT more air, and 2PSI boost spikes are not acceptable. I had pretty much given up to the fact that I would need an electronic boost controller to get rid of the spikes.

NOT SO!

I got a TurboXS High Performance Boost Controller ($129, http://www.turboxs.com) and its AWESOME! It has *two* adjustable valves on it - One ball and spring valve and one bleeder valve.

You set the ball and spring valve tight to maxamize spool up time, and then open the bleeder valve up to get rid of boost spikes. I get FAST spool (with a ball bearing turbo and this mbc, i spool as fast as I did with the T25) and NO BOOST SPIKES AT ALL. Boost shoots up to 1.1 bar and sits there. I LOVE IT! Here is a link to their web site, which has more detailed info about the MBC and some pics.

http://www.turboxs.com/High%20Performance%20Boost%20Controller.htm

turbo=good
12-26-2000, 11:33 PM
Just got the TURBOXS HPMBC for Christmas. Have not tried it out yet but it was easy to install even though I had to run to ACE hardware and get some extra vac hose and a T connector.

The directions to put it in say to run off the Wastegate actuator bla bla....but there is another little paragraph saying if running over 15psi, it is recommended to T off the BOV vac line running to the intake man/ blocking off the nipple on the stock boost control(where the restictor is) and block off the nipple on the turbo housing. Is this correct/ better?

Anyone useing th TURBOXS HPMBC, what is the trick with both valves to get the best performance.

ProjectGSX
12-27-2000, 06:42 PM
Running from the turbo compressor outlet to the MBC means less boost spikes but slower spool up. The reason being.. Pressure is generated AT the compressor housing. If you have the MBC attached there, it will see the pressure increase faster than if you T off of the BOV, because that pressure source is from the intake manifold.

So, T'ing off of the BOV will give you faster spool because it takes longer for the pressure to make its way up to the intake manifold.

I suggest doing it from the Turbo compressor. Boost spike is not acceptable to me, since I want to run as much boost as possible. A 2-3 psi spike puts me at 21-22psi and that is not good.

As for setting the HPBC.. I set it how the instructions indicate. From there only minor adjustment was required. Basically you want the ball and spring valve as closed as possible. Open it up until you are within 1-2PSI of where you want to be, and then open up the bleeder valve until you are just right.

The more closed the ball and spring valve, the faster you will spool up.

turbo=good
12-31-2000, 04:26 PM
Well, i installed it with it set to how the instructions said and I got 20 psi. I turned the Coarse screw clockwise all the way and left the Fine screw alone....still got 16 psi. How is your set lets say if you wanted 10 or 15psi?

turbo=good
01-02-2001, 04:46 PM
I turned down both knobs all the way and still got 15 psi. Whats going on here?

turbo=good
01-02-2001, 08:19 PM
by the way, how is yours set up...meaning, do you still have the stock boost controller attached with the 2 vac lines and the electrical hook up? Because I do. I was wondering if that caused any of the high boost or lack of low boost.

ProjectGSX
01-02-2001, 09:10 PM
No, I disconnected the boost controller solenoid. Just removed the vaccuum lines from it - pulling the electrical stuff triggers a CEL.

Mikel291
01-07-2001, 06:17 PM
I was looking at the standard one (basically due to price) because I am just starting the mods to my car. Since you have had both, do you think that Its worth the extra $60 for the high perf. or would the standard be ok to start with? By the way...do you still have the standard one?:)

Mike

ProjectGSX
01-07-2001, 08:44 PM
The standard one is fine to start with. It is cheap, good looking, and easy to adjust. All good things to have in an MBC. The difference is that it (and every other mbc besidea the TurboXS High Performance MBC) allows small 1-2 PSI boost spikes.

This is acceptable early on in the game, when you have just started modding, and things like that.. but once you have an upgraded turbo, fuel system, and a fuel management system.. then you dont want the spikes.

Yes, I still have mine but a friend is currently borrowing it. I like to have extra parts around in case something breaks, etc. I still have 2 mbcs, 3 spare bovs, a k&n air filter, and a set of agx adjustable shocks :) You never know when you are going to need something!

SlowUglyDSM
10-15-2001, 01:34 PM
Just bought a High Performance TurboXS MBC...

Can anyone give me some ideas how to properly set this MBC? It seems complicated to me... :)

ProjectGSX
10-15-2001, 01:45 PM
I know this is a strage concept to some people.. but I used the instructions it came with. :)

Install it using the instructions and go for a drive. See how much boost you are getting. Use the brass adjustment to increase boost to within 1psi of where you want it to be and then use the blue adjustment to fine tune it.

If you add too much boost using the blue adjustment, you will get inconsistent boost levels in the higher gears.

Did you notice this thread was originally started 11 months ago? Woo! :)

CrankWalk
10-17-2001, 01:08 PM
...its good to go back and USE the old threads for info instead of making up new ones that ask the same thing, man your thread has been alive for a long time!

On that note, ProjectGSX, do you notice much change in boost with different temperatures? If i remember correctly you live somewhere out West so i guess nothing too drastic would happen, weather-wise. I live in VA and some mornings will be cold as crap and then it warms up later in the day. I'm wondering if the high performance boost controller would help with its two tuning knobs.. TurboXS is a local company for me, would be cool to check them out but i notice the controller is a bit pricey :D.

ProjectGSX
10-17-2001, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by CrankWalk
[BOn that note, ProjectGSX, do you notice much change in boost with different temperatures? If i remember correctly you live somewhere out West so i guess nothing too drastic would happen, weather-wise. I live in VA and some mornings will be cold as crap and then it warms up later in the day. I'm wondering if the high performance boost controller would help with its two tuning knobs.. TurboXS is a local company for me, would be cool to check them out but i notice the controller is a bit pricey :D. [/B]

I do not notice a fluctuation in boost at different temperatures. I think a big part of boost control has to do with the wastegate, and the wastegate flapper. The XS Engineering turbo I have seems to have a very capable wastegate. The standard issue Mitsu turbo's are a little lacking in that category. Maybe try doing a larger flapper? Or porting the side of the housing so that the flapper can open all the way?

JakeL
11-28-2001, 10:11 PM
So...does anybody have those instructions available? I'd like to get a look at them so I can get mine set up correctly - I got it secondhand from a friend who did not have his instructions anymore.

If you could scan 'em in and send 'em my way, that'd be wonderful...

Thanks, anybody,

-J

ProjectGSX
11-29-2001, 07:35 AM
Here are the instructions: (about 256k a piece)

http://pics.dsm.org/files/turbofront.jpg
http://pics.dsm.org/files/turboback.jpg

JakeL
11-29-2001, 07:46 AM
Thank you very much :-)

-J

99mmcgsx
11-30-2001, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by ProjectGSX
Here are the instructions: (about 256k a piece)

http://pics.dsm.org/files/turbofront.jpg
http://pics.dsm.org/files/turboback.jpg

Hey Brian....it's been awhile since you orginally posted this. Do you still feel the same about the controller? Any long-term problems or anything wierd?
Thanks,
Jon

ProjectGSX
11-30-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 99mmcgsx
Hey Brian....it's been awhile since you orginally posted this. Do you still feel the same about the controller? Any long-term problems or anything wierd?

Nope! This MBC has been GOLDEN.

I messed around with it, and found that it can do some pretty weird things if you do not adjust it properly. Since it has the primary ball and spring valve and then the secondary bleeder valve, you need to adjust the two in relation from each other. If you add too much boost with the bleeder valve, you will actually get more boost in the higher gears than you do in lower gears. Weird stuff.

It is worth the extra hassle of the initial configuration, though. I was able to get the turbo to spool faster and eliminated boost spikes.

99mmcgsx
12-13-2001, 06:53 PM
Hey guys....well, we just installed the turboXS high performance boost controller. Got totally sick of the HKS EVC getting too fuzzy on me.
This thing, so far, is totally sweet. Really easy to install, and adjustment took about 10 minutes of driving/pulling over. Of course, I am using the autometer "guess-o-meter" boost guage, so who knows what actual boost I'm running. Says 18psi....
One thing that was odd is that my car sounds a bit different now. Kind of a deeper, more hollow sound which is definately better. I can't explain it, other than to say I must have had a boost leak or something with the HKS controller. All in all, we probably removed 4-5 ft. of vac lines by installing the TurboXS unit. We tried to short-route all the lines, and I even put little clamps on them because Im so sick of leaks.

I haven't logged yet, but so far this thing is sweet. Thanks for the review Brian...I'd recommend this to anybody.

By the way, one of my buddies in a new WRX hooked this up with me. I think he was trying to sabatoge the install while we were doing it....losing tools, throwing screws around. I guess he's just nervous. :D

J

NeEmo6
12-19-2001, 08:56 PM
Is this mbc only good for turbos other than the t-25, because mine is a total pain in the a$$ to set, it never stays where i set it at, i get massive spikes up to 22psi when i thought it was set at 15, and sometimes it seems like its set only in lower rpm range but then again gets a spike up to 18 in higher rpm before settling down to 15. Is the pre-install setting a must?? Or should i expect a spike with the t-25?? How did you guys preset your bc?? I really need help on this cause im getting sick of it and dont really want to spend the $$ for a new electronic one.

ProjectGSX
12-20-2001, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by NeEmo6
Is the pre-install setting a must?? Or should i expect a spike with the t-25?? How did you guys preset your bc??

I am going to answer yes to the first two questions. Pre-setting the HPBC is VERY important. In order for the HPBC to work properly, you need the two valves set in relation to one another. Otherwise it will act weird.

On top of that, I dont think you can avoid boost spikes on a T25. The turbo spools up SO fast. However, your spikes should not be more than 1, maybe 2psi. If you get larger spikes than that, something is wrong.

Also, make sure you did not hook up the HPBC backwards. When I first installed mine, I replaced a Hallman MBC. The TurboXS MBC's flow backwards compared to those, so I put it in backwards to start with.

My recommendation is to take the HPBC off of the car (leave the hoses in place) and put it back to the original settings. That means the top (bleeder valve, the blue one) setting should be ALL the way to the negative side and the side (ball and spring valve, the brass one) setting should be only in as far as it takes so that when you shake the unit you do not hear the ball bouncing around.

Then put it back on the car and go for a drive. If boost is still unstable, something is wrong. Either you installed it wrong or the unit is defective. If you think the unit is defective, call TurboXS and talk to them about it. They would rather replace your boost controller than have you call them and say your engine blew up because of crazy boost spikes.

ProjectGSX
02-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Important note!!

All "ball and spring" type MBC's have a bleeder valve built into them, whether they advertise it or not. The TurboXS HPBC has one, but it is adjustable.

You should make sure that you never completely close the adjustable bleeder valve. The reason that it is there, is to bleed off the pressure left in the hose when the ball re-seats itself.

Picture this. You have the valve set for 12psi. You hit 14psi, the ball lifts, pressure fills the hose and hits the actuator. You let off of the gas, the ball re-seats, you still have 14psi worth of air in the vacuum hose, trapped between the MBC and the actuator. Without a bleed valve there, the air gets trapped and the wastegate flapper STAYS OPEN.

I learned this first hand on Sunday. :) Make sure the bleeder valve is atleast open a half turn.

kyle
03-01-2002, 03:09 PM
a while back we installed the regular turbo xs mbc on a friends car. and it worked great except when we didnt need to set the boost (for the track or the occassional street race) it would shake totally loose and we would be pushing 22 + psi, did this happen to anyone else? the reason i ask is because it will be going on my car when i find one...

LifeY
03-07-2002, 01:24 AM
http://www.turboxs.com/High%20Performance%20Boost%20Controller.htm
The turbo xs can be purchased from here..

Currently im running just a KN air intake (im workin on mods yeah blha blha blah) my 1g bov is in the mail...
Here is my question..?

I have a friend who is big into modding his car (he got me hooked) any way...long story short how hard is the Turbo XS to install and set up? i want to do it alone and put bov/XS in with out him knowing and suprise him?
Thanks (in advance :) )
ps (yes i do have boost gauge so ha)

NeEmo6
03-07-2002, 12:23 PM
Extremely easy to install and set-up. Make sure you just follow the directions on the included sheet and it shouldnt take more than a 30 minutes.

kyle
03-07-2002, 09:01 PM
ok does no one else have this problem with Turbo mbc? unless we had it closed all the way (which would have like 13 psi) it shake loose untill it was fully open which was around 22 psi i believe, which is bad....:confused:

ProjectGSX
03-08-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by kyle
ok does no one else have this problem with Turbo mbc? unless we had it closed all the way (which would have like 13 psi) it shake loose untill it was fully open which was around 22 psi i believe, which is bad....:confused:

No, I have never heard of anyone having that problem. I would assume the threads are messed up on yours. Call TurboXS and talk to them about it, see what they will do. Their number is on their website.

kyle
03-10-2002, 01:18 PM
thank you, i wasnt sure if this was normal for a mbc, i guess i will just get a profec b or something instead..:P

ProjectGSX
03-11-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by kyle
i guess i will just get a profec b or something instead..:P

Why get a new boost controller? Just have them fix the problem and you're done. No need to spend more money.

kyle
03-11-2002, 05:43 PM
i was being sarcastic, i guess it also gives me a reason go bigger and better...

Blixx
04-09-2002, 12:57 PM
ProjectGSX helped me fix my HPMBC install... The supplied hose is supposed to go from the blue nipple to wastegate and stock hose from the compressor to brass nipple. I wanted to mount the BC on one of the fan shroud screws. The supplied hose wasn't long enough so I swapped the stock and supplied hoses... bad idea. I didn't pay enough attention at the time but the supplied hoses ID is nearly 2x the stock. The blue nipple and wastegate holes are larger than the stock hoses. This caused a spike to 14 where it settled to 12. With the pre-sets I should only be running 10.

After talking to ProjectGSX I moved the BC and swapped the hoses, rock-solid 12 psi after adjustment with quick spool.

VERY happy with this piece!!

Blake

EuroGSTSpyder
04-09-2002, 02:53 PM
Sounds like i must be investing in such a thing*S* I am starting to mod my car now enginewise and I understand that boost controller+BOV is the first thing to start with..so I will go get me a boost gauge and a boost controller so I can start to get some more power..also a open air filter and a new UICP is soon to be on the car....then an exhaust...

Sounds like a good way to go?

SpydersVenom
04-09-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by ProjectGSX
The standard one is fine to start with. It is cheap, good looking, and easy to adjust. All good things to have in an MBC. The difference is that it (and every other mbc besidea the TurboXS High Performance MBC) allows small 1-2 PSI boost spikes.

This is acceptable early on in the game, when you have just started modding, and things like that.. but once you have an upgraded turbo, fuel system, and a fuel management system.. then you dont want the spikes.

Yes, I still have mine but a friend is currently borrowing it. I like to have extra parts around in case something breaks, etc. I still have 2 mbcs, 3 spare bovs, a k&n air filter, and a set of agx adjustable shocks :) You never know when you are going to need something!

Hey project, would it be safe to go with a standard MBC with the mods I have, I have a 97 Gst Spyder w/Greddy catback exhaust w/3" tip, Greddy uppper/lower intercooler pipes w/Greddy BOV and a Max Speed air intake.

Lee's GSX
04-25-2002, 09:51 PM
That's funny cause I can't get mine to work correctly for sh*t, Ive followed the instructions to the tee! no matter what it still boost creeps way to far. I'll keep messing with it tomorrow and if it does'nt work I'm going back to marc hallmen boost controller. I figured I'd try it for the faster spool ,and rock steady boost I hear people talking about. Hhmmmm....maybe mine is defective

ProjectGSX
04-26-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Lee's GSX
That's funny cause I can't get mine to work correctly for sh*t, Ive followed the instructions to the tee! no matter what it still boost creeps way to far. I'll keep messing with it tomorrow and if it does'nt work I'm going back to marc hallmen boost controller. I figured I'd try it for the faster spool ,and rock steady boost I hear people talking about. Hhmmmm....maybe mine is defective

It's either defective, installed wrong, or adjusted wrong. Since it does control boost somewhat, it must be installed right. But since it is creeping, that means it is not opening the wastegate far enough. That means you either have a hole in the hose you are using between the MBC and the actuator, or you have the fine adjustment opened too much. Or it's defective, like you mentioned.

I try not to adjust the fine more than 2 full turns from the completely closed position. Try lowering boost at the fine point, and remember you can always call TurboXS and ask them for help. Their number is on their website.

Lee's GSX
04-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Well it's not the boost controller. I did some testing today and no matter what it still creeps, so I swapped it out with another MBC and the same thing it would creep to like 24psi or so!!! So I've come to believe my wastegate is not doing it's job correctly. I have 35mm dalta gate, If I what to run low boost , I guess I would have to get bigger gate like 46 tial gate, Damn!! Now that's more money I've got to spend on my baby, or I can just run race gas all the time........not!:^)

Willy
04-28-2002, 10:46 PM
Hey Brian, I need you to hook me up with TurboXS's BOV. I want a Type-H34, 2G adapter kit and Greddy flange kit. My email: wwu@ukans.edu

Thanks

Rodman
05-01-2002, 08:24 PM
As I understand it the fine adjustment screw bleeds off the press from the 'boost' hose and the coarse screw adjusts the ball&spring tention. Why would opening the fine adj screw cause MORE boost creep? The instructions plainly read "If you exspereance any boost spikes, open the fine adj screw untill boost spikes are resolved"
What about removing the Orings for better 'bleed' off?

ProjectGSX
05-03-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Rodman
As I understand it the fine adjustment screw bleeds off the press from the 'boost' hose and the coarse screw adjusts the ball&spring tention. Why would opening the fine adj screw cause MORE boost creep? The instructions plainly read "If you exspereance any boost spikes, open the fine adj screw untill boost spikes are resolved"
What about removing the Orings for better 'bleed' off?

The fine adjustment bleeds off from the wastegate line.

am00re34
05-15-2002, 09:36 AM
Hello,
I just recently purchased the HP MBC from Turbo XS and i was just wondering if i have it set up correctly. i have a vacumn line running to the wastegate and the other one runs to the BOV vacumn line.( where it is split with a T). is this correct? i can turn the boost up to about 12-13, but doesnt seem like i can go higher. Should i disconect the factory boost controller? i have that vacumn line disconected, but it is still electrically hooked up. :confused:

ProjectGSX
05-15-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by am00re34
Hello,
I just recently purchased the HP MBC from Turbo XS and i was just wondering if i have it set up correctly. i have a vacumn line running to the wastegate and the other one runs to the BOV vacumn line.( where it is split with a T). is this correct? i can turn the boost up to about 12-13, but doesnt seem like i can go higher. Should i disconect the factory boost controller? i have that vacumn line disconected, but it is still electrically hooked up. :confused:

On a 2G, if you disconnect the wires for the BCS you will get a CEL. On a 1G, I believe you can disconnect them without a problem.

If you look at the TurboXS MBC's, there will be a < engraved onto the casing next to one of the two nipples. That is the nipple that you connect to your boost source - generally to the compressor housing of the turbo. The < indicates the direction of airflow, saying that pressure should come IN through that nipple.

The other nipple, without the engraving, gets connected to your wastegate actuator.

Rodman
05-15-2002, 04:48 PM
Wouldn't it be better to tap the press source off the intake mani instead of the compresser housing? If you go off the intake mani you will get less turbo lag becouse the boost starts at the turbo and ends at the intake mani, thus keeping your wastegate closed longer.

ProjectGSX
05-16-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Rodman
Wouldn't it be better to tap the press source off the intake mani instead of the compresser housing? If you go off the intake mani you will get less turbo lag becouse the boost starts at the turbo and ends at the intake mani, thus keeping your wastegate closed longer.

I don't think there is a "better" or "worse" way to do it. They behave more or less the same. If you tap off of the compressor housing then the pressure source does not have to travel as far to reach the MBC. This means you get slightly slower spool up but better boost control - that means less spiking and such. If you tap off of the intake mani (the BOV line, generally) you will get faster spool up but bigger spikes.

Which ever works for you. A lot of turbo's don't even have the compressor nipple to work with. If you read generic MBC instructions they usually say to use the BOV line because that line is ALWAYS present.

Rodman
06-09-2002, 02:38 PM
I am still getting 2psi spikes. I think it may be the hoses to and from the MBC, what size lines are people using with GOOD results? Also on average how many turns from closed to open on the fine adj screw are people using with GOOD results. The manual says 2 turns for 'best' results.

ResurrectedGs-T
06-10-2002, 12:19 PM
hey i have the dual stage turboxs, do i have the bleeder valve? and could someone tell me where its at? i get major boost spike like 3-4 psi which is no good at all!!!

doug
07-11-2002, 10:00 PM
I just got my HPBC put on last weekend-- it's great! No spikes at all. My brother-in-law who's a mechanic came up with a different way to mount it off the fan housing-- I'll try to take some pics this weekend...

BaddKaarma
07-11-2002, 10:21 PM
three year old thread wow

hp mbc still holding up brian?

ProjectGSX
07-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by BaddKaarma
three year old thread wow

hp mbc still holding up brian?

Yep. I hadnt considered replacing it until I saw that TurboXS had built one of their dual stage controllers using an HPBC for the first stage. Ill have to think about that one. :)

BaddKaarma
07-12-2002, 11:15 AM
tell me if you ever think about selling that one :D

99mmcgsx
07-12-2002, 12:46 PM
Hey guys....well, since this thread came back I figured I'd add 2 cents. I've found the boost controller to be very dependent on outside temperature, and thus I get pretty significant fluctuations if the weather changes quickly. This may be a typical thing that happens to MBC's, I don't know.

I had no problems in winter, when it was just f-ing cold all the time, and I have no problems now that summer is here and the temp is pretty constant. But, in the spring, when the temperature would fluctuate a lot, I found myself under the hood adjusting the controller every few days. I'd adjust it for 20psi, then a weather change later it would be 22psi. OK, adjust it. Then the weather changes again and it would be 18psi. Kind of annoying.

I imagine if you live in SoCal or someplace that doesn't experience this type of temperature fluctuation that you wouldnt have an issue, but it's definately made me consider the good ol profec B.
I've been using the controller since early winter of 2001, BTW.

Just some thoughts....

J

AznW/BigTurbo
07-14-2002, 01:48 PM
I have heard so much good thing about this TurboXS HP MBC and so I went out to buy one for my big16G turbo setup. BTW, I also have a 3" cut out at the downpipe before the cat. So...I went out for a test drive with the cutout sealed...set it to 12psi, and all was well. GREAT PRoduct. However, when I opened up the cut out and stepped on it, the boost jumped to 15 psi instantly...and it creeped up till 19psi when I looked at the speedometer, I was going 100mph in 3rd gear and still going! EGT was building up fast past 1550F and (I didn't know why I didn't let off the gas...perhaps A/F was reading .96~.955V) when I hit 20psi...the car bogged...then I let off. What the heck? I thought this MBC is the ultimate purchase...now I'm easy with the cutoff. I don't open it up unless I want some fun. Perhaps I'm running with NO back pressure so it's too much for the small wastegate on the turbo to handle....time for some external wastegate.

99mmcgsx
07-17-2002, 08:37 AM
It does tend to fluctuate with mods. When I added a test pipe and ported ex manifold, my boost went up by 2psi. You just have to remember how much to turn the allen wrench, and then you have to adjust it when you open up the cutout.

J

ProjectGSX
07-17-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by AznW/BigTurbo
However, when I opened up the cut out and stepped on it, the boost jumped to 15 psi instantly...and it creeped up till 19psi when I looked at the speedometer, I was going 100mph in 3rd gear and still going!

You're getting boost creep with the cut out. Boost creep has nothing to do with the boost controller. Its a wastegate issue.

AznW/BigTurbo
07-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by AznW/BigTurbo
Perhaps I'm running with NO back pressure so it's too much for the small wastegate on the turbo to handle....time for some external wastegate.

Ya, I mentioned that ;)

doug
07-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, here is a pic of my HPBC mounted off the back of the fan housing-- I think this location is ideal if it turns out to be stable in the long run. So far it's been OK.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/38690096/44095367HdOSbV

beaugt
08-28-2002, 06:32 PM
:confused: O k projectGSX i got my hpmbc, I have a 1G .do i follow the instuctiuons or do i install the tee fitting? Sorry but i;m stupid. thanks

Brett95GST
01-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Alright guys, I just ordered this boost controller, and decided to snap a few pictures as long as give some advice to people maybe wanting to buy it. I hope this helps some other people out, because when thinking about buying/installing/tuning this MBC...this thread really helped me out.

I was a huge novice at this whole concept, and I almost took it to a performance shop to have them install it for me, but I decided I might as well give it a try. The instructions that came with it confused the hell out of me, so I pulled up the VFAQ about installing the Hallman MBC to help me get the concept. Well that didn't go around too well, so I just tried to use common sense and install it. So I installed it, and then took it out driving and boost spiked to 22 psi...not good. So after a little thinking about it, I left the nipple on the intake pipe open, and also left the T fitting with a loose end (the one that goes to the BCS). So, I ran up to Advanced Auto Parts and NAPA and picked up a vacuum elbow fitting and also picked up some more vacuum hose, and voila, it runs smooth. Now tuning it, is the kind of monotonous part. Make sure you do the pre installation settings, and then adjust the coarse and then the fine tuning to the psi you want (this has already been discussed a lot, so no need to go into detail).

Even though I am running the T25, this thing does a pretty good job of controlling boost spikes. It's not perfect but nothing is when you are dealing with the T25. I hope you guys pick this up, it's a very good piece and TurboXS is very good company to deal with. Sorry for the long post.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290880033

am00re34
01-06-2003, 09:09 PM
I have the same problem... my HPBC worked great on my fairly stock system, but when i upgraded turbos and exhaust mani and o2 housing it had troubles holding boost, but like you said thats a wastegate issue

khendriksma1
01-07-2003, 08:29 PM
I also have this MBC and I am having boost spikes in 1st & 2nd gear. I think this is either because I do not it set correctly or because I have it tee'ed off the BOV line. I will have to try setting it differently, I guess, or using the nipple on the turbo.

Brett95GST
01-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Alright well I've had the MBC installed for around a week, and here's my update so far. The T25 SUCKS! That thing cannot hold any boost if it's life depended on it. Another thing that GREATLY influences this MBC is temperature. Tonight it was around 28 degrees, and every other day my boost peaks to 16 then rapidly drops off (T25), but tonight it went to like 19-20 psi. When I set the MBC, it was around 50 degrees, so I guess that's my problem. If anyone knows any good ways to fix this feel free to tell me. Thanks.

doug
01-12-2003, 09:17 AM
I believe that's an unavoidable problem with MBCs-- it's just physics. Probably the only way around that is to get an EBC.