Has anybody installed the Vibrant "Open Funnel" Performance Air Filter? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Has anybody installed the Vibrant "Open Funnel" Performance Air Filter?

bakerstalon
01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2&item=170295204247&category=33659&viewitem=.

I am very tight on money and need an air filter for my 1g with 2g MAF, has anybody used this filter before?

Ronnie Size
01-30-2009, 11:03 PM
get a k&n you cheap prick.

bakerstalon
01-30-2009, 11:05 PM
I clearly dont have enough money for a K and N or I would.

Ronnie Size
01-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Haha, I'm just busting balls.

If you're tight on money find the cheapest filter period then save for a k&n or something quality.

bsmart82
01-31-2009, 01:35 AM
Extremepsi.com has the same filter cheaper and it works just fine.

SionGrey66
01-31-2009, 11:48 AM
The new "specter" filters they sell at alot of auto stores (autozone, o'reilley's, etc.) are pretty good. I have their filter from when they were still called power adder for about 2 years now with no issues. They're cleanable, have adaptors for any sized intake, and you can pick them up for around $20. Right now I think they're having a sale too. I run a K&N in summer and the specter in the fall/winter and I never noticed a difference between the two performance wise.

bakerstalon
01-31-2009, 03:29 PM
I currently have a dislocated/fractured knee so I dont really want to walk all the way to my car to measure, but whats the inlet size on the filter i need for a 2g MAF?
Thanks in advanced.

7inchexhaust
01-31-2009, 03:31 PM
You seriously can't save up another $10 to be a real KN? I knew DSM'rs were cheap, but this is just "wow". You shouldn't even be posting on the forums right now. Go back to work, or get a 2nd job or something.

bakerstalon
01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
This filter is 21 dollars, k and n filters are atleast twice as much. Ive been out of work for two months because of an injury, ive recently had to buy a new throttle body and I have cents left in my bank account. I have student loans to pay and every penny counts. Your post isnt helpful so just dont post at all, thanks.

dannyrampage
01-31-2009, 06:15 PM
If is a real vibrant them is worth it.

theblizz
02-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I currently have a dislocated/fractured knee so I dont really want to walk all the way to my car to measure, but whats the inlet size on the filter i need for a 2g MAF?
Thanks in advanced.

Depends on what adaptor you have.

The 3 most common ones are:
Plastic 3 inch, which is junk, Uses a 3inch "inlet"
Aluminum 4.5 inch, which is decent, uses a 4.5 inch "inlet"
K&N FIPK, which is a strange oval size and only works with a proprietary K&n filter, Which you can find on ebay for about $35.

I know you don't want to hear people preaching to you about your situation. But if your strapped for cash, don't worry about the filter. An old/dirty filter isn't going to ruin an engine.

JohnnyZ
02-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Depends on what adaptor you have.

The 3 most common ones are:
Plastic 3 inch, which is junk, Uses a 3inch "inlet"
Aluminum 4.5 inch, which is decent, uses a 4.5 inch "inlet"
K&N FIPK, which is a strange oval size and only works with a proprietary K&n filter, Which you can find on ebay for about $35.

I know you don't want to hear people preaching to you about your situation. But if your strapped for cash, don't worry about the filter. An old/dirty filter isn't going to ruin an engine.

Yea, exactly don't worry about it, the performance difference is minuscule.

bakerstalon
02-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah, my old one looks like its been chopped in half by a chainsaw and ran over my a semi truck. I dont know what he did with it lol, it wouldent fit so he smashed it, and the metal thing that holds it together is missing. I ordered the 4.5 I hope it fits, if it doesent the people at extremePSI will probably help me out, they are great people.

Thanks for help guys, you can close thread.

Magapaka
02-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, my old one looks like its been chopped in half by a chainsaw and ran over my a semi truck. I dont know what he did with it lol, it wouldent fit so he smashed it, and the metal thing that holds it together is missing. I ordered the 4.5 I hope it fits, if it doesent the people at extremePSI will probably help me out, they are great people.

Thanks for help guys, you can close thread.

My original FIPK got crushed/twisted in order to fit when I put in my upper intercooler pipe - you can't use a full-length filter properly with most pipes. I used my FIPK back plate but switched to the 3000GT filter element, which is half the height but still fits properly to feed the whole MAS opening.

LandoAWD
02-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Be aware that the "kewl" metal cap on the inside of the "funnel" has been sucked into at least one turbo I'm aware of. I was running a Vibrant filter as a stop-gap till I could find the K&N I needed, but as soon as I saw the pic of the damage to that guy's car, I installed the rice filter in the trash.

bakerstalon
02-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Turbos eating air filters?
Badass, wonder if my 16g will ever get that hungry :D.

lazylaser
02-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Turbos eating air filters?
Badass, wonder if my 16g will ever get that hungry :D.

40+lbs/min 16g's out there are no joke, and very well could.

Asmodeus
02-03-2009, 04:35 AM
Be aware that the "kewl" metal cap on the inside of the "funnel" has been sucked into at least one turbo I'm aware of. I was running a Vibrant filter as a stop-gap till I could find the K&N I needed, but as soon as I saw the pic of the damage to that guy's car, I installed the rice filter in the trash.

I've seen an old ball bearing small shaft turbonetics super 60 suck a cheap filter the entire way down a 4" intake. Sucked it inside out and right down the tube. Man did that thing spool!

The specter filters suck. That being said I've used one in a pinch when my K&N got destroyed, without any problems. The vibrant filters are ok. But the adapter is the most important part of the equation. Make sure it's metal.