DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

4th Gen

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  RandyQuick1990 
#1 ·
Hey guys, as you probably noticed i am a new member, im thinking about getting an eclipse, me and a friend who owns a 91 eclipse gst went to test drive a 4th gen it was a spyder gt, if it wasnt a convertable i probably would have liked the car better but it was suprisingly a lot faster than I thought it would be, the only thing i didnt like about it was it was an automatic but i went to test drive a mazda 3...just the regular mazda 3 with the 2.3L and I wanted to punch myself in the balls it was sooo slow. Then we took a ralliart lancer out and that got up and went..lol...but I guess all i was wondering is your guys thoughts of the 4th gen eclipse???

#8 ·
How much are you looking to spend, and what kind of performance are you looking for?

A brand new car's factory warranty is nice, but if you want to go faster than a stock 4th gen, you could pick up a clean 2gb Eclipse for a lot less and have room to upgrade. There are many other new cars coming out (*cough* Genesis Coupe 2.0T *cough*) that offer better performance and value than a 4th gen Eclipse.

#9 ·
I am just looking for something that is faster then what i drive and that is dependable because i am going to college in like 4 months and need something reliable, and i also test drove a mazdaspeed 3 and liked it a lot more then those eclipse, plus I have been hearing those things suck, and most of the 4th gens around here that I have been seeing have been girl drivers, haha

#15 ·
I think most are missing the point here. OP everyone agrees that 4th gens are crap. The biggest complaint I recieved from them is that they lack the "punch" for what it offers.

You are about to go to college and you NEED a RELIABLE vehicle. I would only buy a DSM if I have a daily driver car on the side. Hands down you will need to replace somethings if you buy a DSM anyway. I would recommend a 2005+ Honda Civic for a daily to get you to and from college. With the spare cash buy a DSM and get building on your spare time. That way you can be building a reliable DSM and not drive someone else's worn out mess.

But hands down with $20000 to spare? I would get me a 2005+ Civic and use the rest of the money to buy a good established DSM and start my build.

***If you really want a new vehicle. Think about maintenance costs too.

#17 ·
I think most are missing the point here. OP everyone agrees that 4th gens are crap. The biggest complaint I recieved from them is that they lack the "punch" for what it offers.

You are about to go to college and you NEED a RELIABLE vehicle. I would only buy a DSM if I have a daily driver car on the side. Hands down you will need to replace somethings if you buy a DSM anyway. I would recommend a 2005+ Honda Civic for a daily to get you to and from college. With the spare cash buy a DSM and get building on your spare time. That way you can be building a reliable DSM and not drive someone else's worn out mess.

But hands down with $20000 to spare? I would get me a 2005+ Civic and use the rest of the money to buy a good established DSM and start my build.

You are correct but may be being a little too far on the safe side. If he researches enough, gets a buddy who knows cars to come check out his first purchase he could be fine.

I bought my 98 FWD with a 50-trim and full fuel system and daily drove it for over a year with NOTHING needing attention, literally.

I then took her off the road and bought a beat nissan to get me to work while I swapped in my 6 bolt stroker and shes been on the road now again for a year once again daily driven close to 30psi, only thing I ever NEEDED to replace were the tires and now the breaks are looking like they are due.

I did actually break a shift fork in the trans come to think of it but that was because I went to the track so I don't really count that.

Either way, you can't have all the best things in a vehicle without sacrificing something and for you, with power comes responsibility and constant maintaining or the car will be driven to the ground eventually. Just be smart with what you do OP and you shouldn't end up in a pinch.

#16 ·
Dude don't buy a 4th gen!

If your on this site you will stick to 4G63 powered automobiles or go karts.

I would do some research and get to know a bit, then go search for your first DSM. If you buy a 4g and remain active on this forum, you will hate yourself in no time.

Welcome to the boards brothryn.

#19 ·
Alright, i think i am going to find some kind of truck for winter, and then if i get an eclipse i am going to pull the motor and rebuild it this winter just so i know its going to be reliable, but everyone has talked me out of a 4th gen already, it was just an idea, but i think i am going to get a gsx if i can, and for now just drive my 626, i plan on getting another mx6 or 626 just so i can drive that everyday and just have a dsm for a play toy...ha ha thanks everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.