DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

SMIC options.....

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  matthewdesigns 
#1 ·
I just bought a 99 gsx off a buddy of mine and he has some parts to be pulled off that he had for sale prior to me picking up the car. One of those parts is the upgraded (not sure what brand) side mount. The car looks pretty much like a sleeper and I'd like to keep it that way and stay with the side mount route. I'd really like something that is decent yet not overly expensive. Anyone have any suggestions or am I just better off upgrading to a front mount?

#3 ·
A supra sidemount will do you good... I just sold one with piping for a 1g for 50 bucks.... Like Stephen said, FMIC's are dirt cheap now, so nobody wants these sidemounts anymore....

#4 ·
I really would like to keep with the sleeper look. I love the look on peoples face when they pull up next to me thinking it's a beater and then they hear the turbo spool and the car takes off, haha. I was looking at the dejontools. How is the quality of the products? Any fitment issues?

#7 · (Edited)
Sorry to butt in... But if you are going to buy a front mount, won't boost psi be a factor. For say... just an example psi. 6 psi, a front mount is no good, right! = pressure drop, I think (new to turbos)
Im just going to boost 15 psi with an intake, will a front mount be pleasing?

To the poster, I think a side mount is more then enough if you're not going to see huge amounts of boost!
"Feel free to educate this newb if his facts are wrong, I am new to turbo's, searching and reading huge amounts of writing has been my best friend."
-Korrey

#9 ·
Dejon sidemount's are great, built well (so well that it survived a crash/being run over a couple months ago), and cool really well as long as you aren't trying to do multiple back-to-back pulls. I got mine to keep the car "sleeper", and modified my IC shroud to fit the dimensions of the Dejon core. I taped it to the IC, to seal it up, and it cools like a champ. I'm in the middle of building a new shroud for it, to cram even more air through it, after doing a 2gb Eclipse front swap. That's the key to getting a smic to cool well...sealing it up and matching the shroud to the core. I'm sure I'd see gains by going to a fmic, but I like looking stock. I bought mine used for $50.

I run an Evo316g at 25ish psi on E85 and I ran a 12.7@109 with it last year.

#10 ·
Right now I'm running an Evo3 16g. It hits 18 psi in first gear and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hit 15 psi (yes, that's right, auto powwa!!!) I may look into the dejontools IC. My buddy works for a performance shop and says he won't be satisfied until the car is putting down 650 awhp, haha. Is there any smic that will handle that power?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.