Symborski Shift Kit - 1G [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Symborski Shift Kit - 1G

k91
11-15-2000, 10:46 AM
Install - easy
Fit - excellent
Quality - excellent

Very nice change from the stock sloppy shifts. The kit fits well, is easy to install, and cheap at $35. The only problem I had was getting the shifter itself back together correctly, I reversed the way the spring was supposed to go but its all fixed now and shifting great! I know alot of people swear by the washer trick but from what I've heard that doesn't last that long and is nowhere near as effective so Dave S. gets my thumbs up!

nukefission
11-25-2000, 12:38 AM
The kit is nice, I agree. Very solid craftsmanship. Just installed it about a week ago; formerly had the "washer mod" installed. Shifting is a little more precise now, but I imagine the change from the stock rubber grommets to this kit would be tremendous.

The only problem I had with it was the additional long shim that's supplied. It didn't fit right, it was too long, and ended up creating more play in the shifter arm (forward/back direction) that it was supposed to alleviate. So I didn't use it -- the stocker piece seemed to do the job just fine. In the kit for the '90 vehicle, they don't include that long piece, because the stocker is supposedly good enough. I wonder if this means my car is actually a '90, and was just named '91 because it was built after September of '90....

Many folks have said they'd pay more for the kit, but $35 ($42 with the flat rate shipping) is rich enough in my opinion. Still a great mod though, especially when coupled with the switch to some BG SyncroShift tranny fluid.

k91
11-25-2000, 05:45 AM
I noticed that the extra shim was a little long too. But with a little work I got it to fit and haven't had any problems since.

90TSI-AWD
11-25-2000, 01:00 PM
I read the mod page on dsm.org and it said for the 1990 not to use washers for the mod. I saw the kit on the net, but at $35 bucks I thought it was expensive. Just removing the grommets helped out the shifting alot

Nick 92 TSi AWD
11-25-2000, 11:12 PM
I got mine a week after Dave started making them (for only $20 hehe) and love it. I put in a extreme short shifter (complete POS IMO) and a short Greddy knob (really cold in the morning), so I'm not quite sure how much of a difference just the bushings did. It works a lot better than the washer method though, I had to readjust that every week.

1sikdsm
12-02-2000, 01:15 AM
I wouldn't mind getting the shift kit, so where can I get one. I guess if I go to DSM.org I should find the site right? I have a '90 Talon with shitty shifter play.

nukefission
12-02-2000, 10:00 AM
The guy who made the kit no longer sells it himself. Mach V Motorsports carries it:

http://www.machv.com/symshifkit1.html

90TSI-AWD
12-11-2000, 02:17 AM
Well I installed the kit after doing the grommet removal and using BG synch. BG made the biggest difference but there is a bit of a difference with the kit. Shifting is a little more precise. With BG and This mod= 100% improvement over stock.

TealTalon
01-08-2001, 01:59 PM
Installed it this weekend. Fit is perfect. Little stiff at first but will break in I'm sure. Much better than my stock shifter. Actually notchy like a regular car. :p You can feel an H pattern instead of oh yea 3rd gear is over here somewhere. :) Great service from MachV got my part to me in a very timely fashion.

MoBoost
01-23-2001, 11:54 AM
SSK + RedLine MTL = Super-Duper shifts :)

GVR4rcr
04-08-2001, 02:16 PM
I installed this kit right around the 1st of the year. My car is a '92 GVR4, 18G, PMS, etc. Right away I noticed that shifting was a lot more precise than with my previous washer set up. I run a Mofugas Short Throw Shifter & the pivot in the kit was too small, so i re-used the one that came with the shifter.
All I can say is WOW what a difference. My 330' times are .2-.4sec quicker than last year, i.e. my 1-2 shift is much faster & it shows on the top end> 12.62 @ 110.86!!!

BlkGost
04-08-2001, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by MoBoost

I use MT-90 whats the difference between the 2??

GVR4rcr
04-08-2001, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by BlkGost
Originally posted by MoBoost

I use MT-90 whats the difference between the 2??
Check out: http://www.redlineoil.com
All of the info you seek is there. Btw, I personally use Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof Gear oil in my trans, transfer, & rear lsd. The trans is an *updated* internals '92 GVR4 trans, by updated I mean has '94-later internals sans the t/e/l 1st gear. Shifts like a dream.

joec
04-20-2001, 11:14 AM
The MT-90 is a thicker version of the MTL. Some people have complained that the MTL is too thin for the DSM trannies and can cause bearing failures. There's also been some postings that say that the folks at Redline suggest mixing MT-90 and MTL for use in the DSM tranny.

Isn't the Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof Gear oil a GL5 oil? The tranny should use GL4 instead of GL5 (to prevent corrosion of brass synchros). GL5 is fine for the transfer and rear diff...

shabby
04-21-2001, 06:28 PM
Welp i just installed the symborski kit in my talon.
Installation took around 90 minutes, console was a bitch to take out cuz of all the cables that i have running to it. Plus i took my sweet time and forgot the sleeve underneath the console :)
The fit was excellent except for the sleeve, it was a bit too long and it was a tight fit... nothing that a hammer couldnt solve :D
The feel of the shifter was amazing with these bushings, it was so solid and precise. And my 5th and reverse go in a little bit easier now.

The only downside is that the dreaded 1-2 grind/clunk is more audible :)

[Edited by shabby on 04-21-2001 at 07:34 PM]

MindBlowin03
05-12-2001, 12:43 PM
I just installed the kit about 2 days ago. Took about 60 minutes start to finish. My long bushing was also too long, but with a little shimmying it went in just fine. When I took it for a ride, I noticed there was still some play in it. So I took a look, and noticed that there was a bolt loose on my shifter. I believe its the top bolt that is just underneith the shifter boot. Its kinda facing the drivers side of the car. I tightened that up, and now my shifter is stiff as hell. It seemed really hard to shift at first, but is seems to be getting easier now.

verserv
05-12-2001, 08:07 PM
i think that kit is great, it needed one extra washer to tighten the shifter play a bit. I had to ghetto rig one but now my stick has absolutly no left right play

shabby
05-12-2001, 08:54 PM
Wheres does the extra washer go verserv? I wanna get rid of my side to side play too.

verserv
05-12-2001, 09:03 PM
on the shifter itself, take it off and put a Dont lose those little plastic peices on the edges of the shifter and add a small plastic(not rubber) onto the far end of that fork. Also, move that little bolt thing on the cable a little towards the back of the car and that helped a shitload in shifting in my car. let me find the good vfaq fir that extra washer.

verserv
05-12-2001, 09:05 PM
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/shifter2.html here it is. Do not use the rubber grommet/washer like the picture shows, it will gum up the shifter. Use some wd40 around that part too, it helps.